Fact-checking and critical thinking

Here, look for all manner of scoops, commentary, and general nonsense from the Keeper himself.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zhar
Wizard

Re: Fact-checking and critical thinking

Post by Zhar » 05 Jul 2020 17:08

Personally in the past I found it really amusing how some wizards tried to out-do one another in buffing/gimping specific guilds. Oh, member of this guild can't eat but herbs are the way to go? Let's introduce herbs that heal you that you don't have to eat! It's too good of a hunting ground for specific guild? Trolls now wear gorgets!

There's also the situation where you have awesome healing herbs but they require very high herbalism skill. Suddenly there's room where you can just pick them without searching.

There definitely was some sheaneanigans in the past with wizards coding hidden and secret stuff for their friends (it is known) but it definitely died down over the years and most of it has been rectified.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Saimon
Wanderer

Post by Saimon » 06 Jul 2020 13:50

I have read all the discussion above and I would like to add my 2 cc.

The main reason why rumors and fake news appears in common knowledge is the lack of knowledge from trusted sources. For many, many years there was almost no official information from wizards/Archs/Keeper regarding how Genesis and different its part are working, what new projects are under development, which new areas or guilds are open, etc. And when someone has noticed some new armor or weapon in someone's hands, especially top eq or in hands of very well know and usually big player it was a perfect source for a new rumor. For sure some friendly wizard has coded something for his friend. The same with some elite guilds like Vamps, or first WoHS opened 20 years ago. These guilds were available only for limited number of players. And what about quests? In times when everything was a secret, you formally couldn't share any quest info even with a friend who was sitting next to you in the computer lab (yes, 20 years ago you had to go to the computer lab to play Gen !! :D ) and there were people who had 3-4 times more qexp even you did all quests you knew?

So a big part of Gen community has grown in such an environment. And I think the majority or at least a big part of us is still the same group of players, only 20 years older. But our habits are our second nature and we don't believe in what we can see. Conspiracy is a better and easier solution for all our questions than answers that based the common sense you try to promote Cherek. Sorry, but in my opinion, it is like that.

How to change it? I think the best solution is what Arman started a few years ago - open communication with a Gen community. As a Liege of Krynn he has started with his yearly development plans (pity there are no more updates these plans in Krynn and other domains, these posts were very much expected). Next as an Arch of Balance he has started to
explain a lot of issues related with balances. Most of us were very surprised in a very positive way when we were read his notes here on the Forum. And I didn't meet with many rumors and fake news related to issues he explained in his posts.

Next, you Cherek and even Mirandus lately have joined this "explain to players" policy. There were more posts with explanations of some decisions in last 2 years than in 20 before. And look. When you explain what has happened, what decision and action were done, 90% of rumors die. How many rumors were related with Cassius dead in the Sparkle church before Mirandus have posted his note? And how much after it?

So, please follow this "disclosure policy" and you will face much less fake news and rumors.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 06 Jul 2020 14:01

Maybe we should make a new board and call it "updates", or something like that. A place where we can post minor updates and other stuff that could be useful for players to know, but isn't important enough to warrant a common board post. (I think that one should be for important news only).

Saimon
Wanderer

Post by Saimon » 06 Jul 2020 14:16

Very good idea. The issue with Gardeners titles we had some time ago is good proof it would be very useful. But wizards would need to post there if they update something....

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 06 Jul 2020 14:40

Saimon wrote:
06 Jul 2020 14:16
Very good idea. The issue with Gardeners titles we had some time ago is good proof it would be very useful. But wizards would need to post there if they update something....
This was an odd case since there were 2 wizards involved. I made the changes to the code while Ckrik was the one who actually put them live as the liege of the domain. It was obviously our own fault for not communicating enough as I did intend to make a post about it but the changes were implemented while I was away so the information was a bit delayed in reaching the players.

Ideally I'd post beforehand if I intend on updating something (as updating old and forgotten guilds is my hobby) and do progress reports but sometimes life happens or some unexpected discovery comes up in the code, some projects get delayed and some get scrapped halfway through. I think it would be bad for people who might be hyped up for an update only for it to fall short at some point. I'd also like to avoid unnecessary drama if someone doesn't like the direction I'm taking the updates in or when people start requesting extra bonus features I did not plan on doing originally. So, I'll stick to informing people post-factum after the update is complete but will try to do so in a more timely manner in the future (right before or right after the change goes live). So far I've updated 4 guilds and apart from the minor bug in the Gardeners it was pretty smooth sailing and I think the changes were received quite well by the players.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 06 Jul 2020 15:30

Perhaps not a direct post by wizards, but rather NPCs gossiping about the new changes?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 06 Jul 2020 19:55

Rincon wrote:
06 Jul 2020 15:30
Perhaps not a direct post by wizards, but rather NPCs gossiping about the new changes?
That's a nice idea, but I think the more complex it is for us to keep you updated, the less like it is going to happen. When it comes to these things, the simplest possible way is probably best. And like Saimon mentioned, if I do make a board, I also need to get all wizards to actually post there, which isn't a habit for everyone (yet). An ingame board that autoupdates to the forum is probably the simplest way it can be done, and also reach as many players as possible.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 06 Jul 2020 23:29

Why not a town cryer in Sparkle who can be updated by wizards like a board? You could ask him questions so he can elaborate.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Mirandus
Site Admin

Post by Mirandus » 07 Jul 2020 02:54

I think these are all great ideas and I'm 100% on board. I am not as proficient as Arman, but I did post a plan I had for Kalad, and I continue to, slowly, follow it :)

That said, I think folks need to understand not every AoP decision can be posted about. Some involve multiple parties and sensitive interactions and sharing details could actually cause harm. As well, there are tiny incidences that no one would care about either way. I will rely on conversations with the AoP team and the Keeper before I posted about AoP matters. Folks are always welcome to come and ask me questions directly and I'll do my best to answer. But not everything can or will be posted about on a board for all Genesis to read.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Jul 2020 12:27

Just to clarify, with a board I meant a board for mainly technical game updates. Balance changes, guild updates, new areas/quests, etc. Like Mirandus said, most AoP matters aren't worth sharing (player X lost their password isn't something everyone needs to know :)), and some AoP matters aren't suitable for sharing in public. Of course, that makes rumours spread sometimes, but we also have to respect player privacy in sensitive cases. It's impossible to be 100% open about _everything_.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/