Calians in crisis?

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Calians in crisis?

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 29 Jun 2010 14:31

Seems like the Calians had for a few years now had more internal fueds going on that any other guild.
Was someone struggling for power?
Old guard vs new guard clashing..?

For a while they were very quiet, I was surprised and pleased when I saw a team of 5 calians about a few months ago.
They would be very challenging (scary but not going to admit that) to fight in big teams.

Whats the story, why all the aggro and people leaving?

I always think of Mers as a Calian still, would he ever go back?
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Kitriana
Champion

Re: Calians in crisis?

Post by Kitriana » 29 Jun 2010 15:14

As someone who was in Calians and left.. for me the biggest issue was that it is TOO easy to join and therefore you have elements that behave without thought and bring the wrath of the realms to the Calian Palace doorstep. I was brought into and dragged into crap I didn't want to be a part of in my gameplay. So I chose to leave and join a guild where I trusted the leadership to put a stop to such stupidity.

I actually think the Calian council is improving.. I think the current ousting of Tristram reflects that. Though I realize I may be biased. But I think they finally put their foot down and said -- enough of the insane attacks -- if this is how you will behave you don't have a place here in the guild because you are raining crap down on the rest of us. So my applause to the Council for making the hard decision.

Kit's puppetmaster
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 29 Jun 2010 15:18

Calian Warriors remains a guild in constant internal conflict because it is an organization strongly built both in theme and in actuality (team based specials and bonuses)) on internal interdependencies.

Such often requires strong leadership, a shared understanding of the mission and purpose of the organization (Caliana, RP, Loyalty, Alliance, Teaming etc) an adherence to the vision of the organization (following rules and in this case living up to the principles of interdependence - in Calian terms - Loyalty/RP) and over the years both as a member and up till a few months ago an ally of Calia it has failed in all of the above again and again.

What I see is "someone" filling the Calians up with recruits who are willing to RP and be a part of the whole Loyalty & RP theme. These recruits become jaded when they encounter the "old boys" who either loathe the RP of the guild (Caliana who? I just come here to swarm enemies and hug friends) , distrust newcomers ("they have to be seconds spying on us" or "do it yourself, I didnt join Calian Warriors to help Calians") or belong to a preset clique ("Listen, I am the designated swarmer of the week for X, Y. I am just going to remove my medallion and hope you all leave me alone. What Guru quest? Do it yourself I am getting gear ok!") or sit around dreaming about "When Calia was so much better".

These issues paired with some of the worst Council inactivity (It took SCoP 5 years to give up trying to get a treaty with Calia :) ) and strong internal disagreement on pfighting has caused Calia as a concept to fail completely.

This is nothing new at all, it was beginning to happen when I joined and I was unable to alter it as a member, and I am not laying anyone specific to blame (I probably have my fault in all of this somewhere as well). I think the Council now finally taking some actions and showing the Calians what they want and do not want is a great thing.

All I can say I think it is a shame. It is a guild that has much to offer. There is much more RP depth to Calia than you'd think and Calia back when it was a sociable guild before the fractions starting warring eachother was great fun. The four years I enjoyed as a Calian was the first years of my Genesis time here. Naturally nostalgia plays in here, but some of my best friends and experiences of wacked out Genesis moments come from that time. Let me share with you one example:

Quintas Stonespirit - one of the funniest people Genesis ever saw. He liked helping out Cadets quite alot. One time he had a team of 8-13 Cadets tagging along. They were asking him all sort of (real!) newbie questions.

(Maybe it was only 6 but you know how stories grow over the years), and we were all teasing him (8 Calians logged on at a time was not unusual) with his kindergarten. How he was a baby sitter etc.

What did Quintas do in response ? He took all the Cadets to Calias famed Ice Chute and pushed them down, one by one :)

What can this story and my above summary teach us? Absolutely nothing. Have a great day!
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 29 Jun 2010 15:36

THE most "appropriate" Calian behaviour was when "certain individuals who always teamed only among eachother" were watching other Calian(s) being butchered on the same ship as they stood, without assisting or inviting into their team ... you know, they disliked the butchered one(s)

the other story was when a SU attacked 2 Calians and died - you wouldn't believe how quick "strange characters (Calians) whom you'd never see logged on for longer then 30min" logged in to spit shit (got verbally abusive and posted quite offensive crap on the Calian board) on the 2 above mentioned Calians ... the attack was on the Bazaar boat, the 2 Calians didn't get to the Palace yet (1 old ship) and their "welcome" was already prepared

talking about Calian-RP just makes me chuckle - I guess nothing has changed in that regard ... and I DO agree with Kitriana on one point - it's a great example what easy-joining-rules can do to a guild with good background

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 29 Jun 2010 16:57

Easy to join is not a problem.
Provided you can just as easily kick out those who are not working out.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 29 Jun 2010 17:05

The problem for me with being a Calian was when certain "council members" and i use that term very losely, started pushing the guild in a direction the majority of the members didnt wanna go.
And when they also started storrign up trouble the rest of us had to pay for..
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 29 Jun 2010 18:19

Did something change in Calia in recent years? I don't remember joining being all that easy back in the days (I can only speak of the days before Hektor left Calia to become a merc, don't really remember how long ago it was). I mean, the application process was so tedious and at times ridiculous (I'm from Europe and the ever wise Calian council assigned Maureenanne as my RO, this was during the days when people around here didn't have internet at home for the most part and meeting someone who was in the game around 3-5 a. m. of my time was pure bullshit). Another example could be Dothor (but I'm not entirely sure about that, he was always a bit strange) who's been a friend of Calia (wearing Calian medallion when still a Cadet) for a very long time and still his application took a significant amount of time.

Another stupid thing I've found there (and ultimately left Calia) was the team PK paradox there. Being allied with Knights, Rangers and to a degree Neidars (stunties always liked the bazookas) and getting shit from council when your teammate is attacked, you assist and it results in the death of the attacker. I mean, WTF?! Investigation? Over what? One dumb guy trying to tackle two and failing?
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 29 Jun 2010 19:24

Tarax the Terrible wrote: I always think of Mers as a Calian still, would he ever go back?
Probably not.

It's not much fun being a guild you have to team in and you can't find teammates.

I'm not really keen on being in guild with players like Didelith anyway.

Frankly most of the recent changes to Genesis have made me decide not to play anyway. The recent discussions tell me my predictions were correct.

If I were to change guilds, I have my sights set elsewhere.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Maizara

Post by Maizara » 29 Jun 2010 19:36

From one of the ones who was just in that batch of recruits along with 5 others I left because of idiots within the guild.

It's nearly impossible to RP with most of them, most recruits who read the chronicles would know more history about their own guild then some of the councilmen. There is no order within the guild, people like Tristram do whatever they want with no leash. They intertwine OOC with guild politics, its s huge mess.

And none of them bar maybe Ninle assist you in anything, so now you have all these followers and trainees that have no skills, no eq and no fuckin clue whats going on. I had to rely on Hektor to help me get gears and the gears I had were better then the Calian racks.

Then there is the Cliques which cause nothing but problems for anyone within the guild and do nothing but bring problems to the others by their actions and words.

All in all the only thing that would save the Calians is the Goon Swarm. (A group of players who jump game to game and completely take over in sheer numbers)

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 29 Jun 2010 19:45

Goon Swarm in Eve proved that a legion of no brain, newbie jerks can sink even the most elite players in a game :lol:

Anyway you should have been there before me and the others left then Maizara...
Atleast people helped eachother then, and we were in fact close..
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/