Ranger feedback

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Sharn
Expert

Re: Ranger feedback

Post by Sharn » 18 May 2011 12:40

Seriously? You heard about the Tolkien dude? :mrgreen:
I mean "living in tents" part. Rangers were rumoured to have many hideouts in Ithilien. The most well known were Henneth Annun.
Hobbits in the book were taken to Henneth Annun and met Faramir - captain of RoI.
Henneth Annun is RoI guild hall in genesis - which is perfect in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_of_Ithilien

Or you meant a Yogi bear themed Yellowstone Park Rangers guild?

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 18 May 2011 14:20

based on things like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger_%28Middle-earth%29 - "ability to understand the language of birds and beasts" we could even work towards beastmasters in Genesis ... :twisted: ;)

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 18 May 2011 14:37

Pretty much means messengers :mrgreen: ...but Angmar should have mumakil mounts!

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 18 May 2011 16:42

sharn wrote:Seriously? You heard about the Tolkien dude? :mrgreen:
I mean "living in tents" part. Rangers were rumoured to have many hideouts in Ithilien. The most well known were Henneth Annun.
Hobbits in the book were taken to Henneth Annun and met Faramir - captain of RoI.
Henneth Annun is RoI guild hall in genesis - which is perfect in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangers_of_Ithilien

Or you meant a Yogi bear themed Yellowstone Park Rangers guild?
Quite aware of tolkien.. but we have to create our own history and future, if we all remain in one place we never move ahead ;)
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Calador
Wizard

Post by Calador » 18 May 2011 17:29

Alorrana wrote: Quite aware of tolkien.. but we have to create our own history and future, if we all remain in one place we never move ahead ;)
ME has always been true to Tolkien, and I think it would be a shame to change that now.
I'd rather close the rangers than make them into something they aren't.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 19 May 2011 12:16

Ofc, im not saying cast tolkinen away, but at some point we have to create out own age in ME.. the Gen age.. and still keep it related to tolkiens ME..

just think that would be coolio :)
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Calador
Wizard

Post by Calador » 19 May 2011 14:10

The age after the current will be the 4th age, the age of Man. The elves have left, Sauron has been defeated.
To move the timeline forward you would have to continue where Tolkien left it. It would be a huge undertaking
since you would need to revamp everything. Even the Morgul Mages would have to be changed, perhaps even
closed, due to Saurons fall.
ME wasn't originally designed to be Tolkien related. It was designed to be as close a representation of his works
as it was possible so I cannot see a Genesis Age of Middle Earth anywhere, unless you basically scrap the
foundation of the domain and rethink it all.

Regards,
Calador, who used to be Sir Calador, wizard of Gondor :)

PS: Yes, I am probably a bit biased in a case like this. I worked with people like Elessar and Olorin back in the day,
and it was their huge work that built the ME you still see today.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 19 May 2011 14:50

sounds like Kiryl Eskov's book - The Last Ringbearer :twisted: I actually liked his approach

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 19 May 2011 15:10

Calador wrote:ME has always been true to Tolkien, and I think it would be a shame to change that now.
So if it's always been true to Tolkien, then what about the Army of Angmar, Rangers of Gondor, The Society of Morgul Mages to name a few things. None of those are actually true to the books / story line in the Middle Earth domain in Genesis.

Even though I am certainly advocating being as true to the books as possible, Genesis have already had plenty of things that are self-invented in the Middle Earth domain. So it's perhaps not so unusual to bring up non-canon ideas for the ME domain.

I do like the idea of a more decentralized Ranger guild, though. Have the whole domain be their fox hole, with secret entrances/exits/hiding holes all over the place. The Rangers, in my mind, should be the rebels that can never show themselves in the open, due to being vastly outnumbered/outgunned by the forces of the East, and the local population not trusting them either.

More underground resistance, less Army of the West. :)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 19 May 2011 15:36

Makfly wrote:
Calador wrote:ME has always been true to Tolkien, and I think it would be a shame to change that now.
So if it's always been true to Tolkien, then what about the Army of Angmar, Rangers of Gondor, The Society of Morgul Mages to name a few things. None of those are actually true to the books / story line in the Middle Earth domain in Genesis.

Even though I am certainly advocating being as true to the books as possible, Genesis have already had plenty of things that are self-invented in the Middle Earth domain. So it's perhaps not so unusual to bring up non-canon ideas for the ME domain.

I do like the idea of a more decentralized Ranger guild, though. Have the whole domain be their fox hole, with secret entrances/exits/hiding holes all over the place. The Rangers, in my mind, should be the rebels that can never show themselves in the open, due to being vastly outnumbered/outgunned by the forces of the East, and the local population not trusting them either.

More underground resistance, less Army of the West. :)

Well... the rangers re true, both in book and film :P
The army of angmar is not exactly what it is in gen but I do think it exists if its the witchking of angmars army.

The current version of the morgul mages on the other hand!
Never read them messing about with fireballs and stuffs, quite handy with weapons tho

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/