Ranger feedback

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Alorrana
Myth

Re: Ranger feedback

Post by Alorrana » 30 Oct 2011 20:01

no need to re read lord of the rings mate..

We dont have to stay 100 % true to the story..
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 31 Oct 2011 00:08

Alorrana wrote:no need to re read lord of the rings mate..

We dont have to stay 100 % true to the story..
Perhaps not 100%, but in case of ME "as close as possible" is the right approach IMO.

To answer other posts (regarding bows): bows in Genesis have inherent flaw, they're supposedly high damage, low rate of fire weapons, which is fine with me. The biggest problems with bows are:
  1. The only good bows out there are only good for elves
  2. They can't be used in melee.
The first problem can be solved easily, the second one is a big one though, as it would require substantial hard work on the wizard's part. I know that many people would suddenly yell "How can he hit me with a bow when I'm pounding on his head with my uber club of major ass-whooping?". Fluff is nice but it's not possible to sport it fully in Genesis. Unlike "the MUD I forgot the name of" we don't need to run up to the enemy (possible at various paces) or have much in terms of positioning to work with. If casters (which are usually the mid-to-backline of a party) can cast their spells in melee, why can't archers use their bows? It's been done in many games and, personally, I see no reason as to why Genesis would be different in this aspect.

Let's take a closer look at bows, shall we?

Some bow facts (Ansalon Archer perspective):
  1. You can get a free shot on the enemy before the combat actually starts (perfectly understandable)
  2. You do nice damage but your firing rate is just horrible
  3. After a round or two of combat your bowstring breaks and your bow becomes a polearm or is totally unusable.
The fact is, you don't get any advantages a bow offers in your regular game, where you're able to hit enemy several times before he can get you (and I'm not even talking about special attacks with bow here). You get 1 free hit, which means nothing. Would you consider 1 free hit with a sword or club a huge bonus? IMO, let the bows be used in melee, without any loss in efficiency. This way they would come on par with other weapons, make more sense and make Ansalon Archers not suck so much.

What do I mean: we're talking here about the most limited wepon in the game. It has low rate of fire, can't be used solo and has limited ammunition. Why not make it easier on people and just turn it into another weapon you can use freely in combat (low fire rate, limited ammunition and loss of parry skill would make up for big damage dealt I think).
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 31 Oct 2011 09:14

editing all my posts - I'm done
Last edited by Laurel on 16 Nov 2011 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 31 Oct 2011 12:51

Perhaps. I never used bows for any long periods of time so I can only speak about things I experienced.

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 25 Nov 2011 09:16

While on the topic of bows, why can't an archer stab their enemy with his/her arrow then proceed to shoot it between their eyes? So slash and stab attacks from arrows and also punches from a bow. It could possibly be done to where the bow acts like brass knuckles and you can beat your opponent with it.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 25 Nov 2011 11:43

And which skills would be responsible for this attacks? Knife for arrows and club/polearm for bow?
You can't continue firing because your bowstring can break if you're engaged and you can't re-string the bow while in combat.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 25 Nov 2011 14:42

By the way... Bows do not do any more damage in combat then say a sword does.
It has slightly higher hits at the expense of a HORRIBLE reload rate.

Absolutely NO advantage.
Its actually a disadvantage using bows.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Bromen
Champion

Post by Bromen » 20 Dec 2011 22:50

If the bow attack could somehow replicate the SC charge (as in it says you're too far away to be hit) for 2-3 rounds of combat, it would make a lot more sense to be able to use the bow, the re equip to a secondary weapon. Perhaps a retreat special could be created in order to create the "space" in a room needed to shoot.

B

But then again, rangers are too imba anyways, lets not make them more powerful. ;)

Johnny
Veteran

Post by Johnny » 24 Dec 2011 19:46

I have seen a clear advantage in using bow and WAY easier to use it as an Elven Archer. It is just that I believe you need INSANE dex to make it worth it. So you can actually hit your target.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 25 Dec 2011 15:35

Well i can tell you this much Johnny.

You are wrong :)
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/