Ranger feedback

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rohim
Wizard

Ranger feedback

Post by Rohim » 16 May 2011 17:38

Dear Rangers,

The idea of updating the Rangers to the new coding standard has taken root in my mind. Before I do any coding it would help a lot if you - the actual Rangers - told me what you wish to get out of playing a them.

Could you describe how they should feel or what you'd like to do as a Ranger?

What kind of player are you: Social/Explorer/Grinder/PvP/something else ?

Post here or mail!

Thank you! :)

/Rohim

Laurel

Re: Ranger feedback

Post by Laurel » 16 May 2011 18:07

I much appreciate the move! My thoughts about the usage of this forum for this however, that I also sent you in PM:

How about you mail the currently active Rangers in-game about it? I suggest the following list:
edited, edited, edited, edited, edited, edited, edited, edited, edited
The inactive ones that sometimes come around would be:
edited, edited, edited, edited
Some of the Rangers simply don't have an account on this forum.

(part edited out)

Also the current Ranger Council/Officers are:
edited - Captain Ithilien
edited - Lt. Ithilien
edited - Sgt. Ithilien (will be changed to edited shortly)
edited - Captain North
edited - Lt. North
edited Sgt. North

I'm posting this here, to suggest the same to all the Ranger-players who do have accounts on this forum.

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 16 May 2011 18:19

I am not a ranger so my opinion does not count, but...nevertheless I am going to give my 3 coppers :mrgreen:

In general I would like the rangers to be more like rangers from Tolkien books.
  • Extremelly skilled with bow which is rangers primary weapon (including bow special attacks)
  • Skilled with sword (including sword special attacks)
  • Brawl has to go. It is powerful but in my opinion does not have place in the LOTR rangers guild.
  • Ranger spells are allright and can stay like they are.
  • Traps! Traps would stun or hinder victim's movement.
Bow attacks should be stealth attacks. Meaning, that preparation of bow attacks should not initiate combat.

EDIT: Bah! I knew Laurel would beat me to it and will also hush the discussion :mrgreen:

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 16 May 2011 18:26

Give them bows, and a special with the bow, and some evasive special made especially to make room for a bow attack :) And make it hit hard. There are some insane bows in the game together with awsome arrows it could be great, we might want to nerf the Terel arrows tho, they are alittle to sick with theire almost guaranteed kill.
So that the combo ranger/Archer is friggin whicked. Give them the ability to start attacks from the shadows and in some way balance a type of shadow dive, allowing them to hide in combat once every 5-10 mins or something for like 1 min at a time tops, make it cost fatigue like a bastard and its balanced but at the same time usefull. Dont want people just diving out every 2 secs they get into combat, thats just retarded :P

Remove atleast dropbrawl -.- Make it just unwield or something, having your weapon that you spent an hour+ to get get stolen by some wanker is just pissy and makes ya not want to play once that happens. The knee and the sand kick can stay, aswell as the unwield brawl, make it unwield for like 5 secs, thats more than enough to mess a special attack up

Draugor

Post by Draugor » 16 May 2011 18:28

sharn wrote:I am not a ranger so my opinion does not count, but...nevertheless I am going to give my 3 coppers :mrgreen:

In general I would like the rangers to be more like rangers from Tolkien books.
  • Extremelly skilled with bow which is rangers primary weapon (including bow special attacks)
  • Skilled with sword (including sword special attacks)
  • Brawl has to go. It is powerful but in my opinion does not have place in the LOTR rangers guild.
  • Ranger spells are allright and can stay like they are.
  • Traps! Traps would stun or hinder victim's movement.
Bow attacks should be stealth attacks. Meaning, that preparation of bow attacks should not initiate combat.

EDIT: Bah! I knew Laurel would beat me to it and will also hush the discussion :mrgreen:

If so the traps shouldnt be droppable or setupable in combat :P Cause if so it aint really a trap, thats a retarded thing with WoW :P

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 16 May 2011 18:30

Yeah, traps should be prepared out of combat.
Damn, they would be deadly.

Calador
Wizard

Post by Calador » 17 May 2011 14:43

I liked the old rangers setup, RoI = fighters, RoN = stealthers and RoG = something else (can't really call them casters, since they were more semi-caster/semi-fighter).
The problem was that they had 3 guildhalls. One for each branch, which effectively made i similar to 3 guilds. That is not really an option today with a much lower playerbase.
I think the best way to fix the rangers will be to completely re-invent their abilities. Keep the guildhall (might want to move it to a more obscure location) but make a new skill/spell setup for them and make it 1 guild.

They should keep some of the aspects of all 3 branches but they need a focus area so they aren't just a useless jack-of-all-trades guild.
Traps are fun, but they will be either too powerful or useless IMO. The idea of using bows is good but I don't think that it would be a good idea to let them attack from the shadows, as Draugor suggested. If you have a powerful attack that can be fired without warning, you'd have an assassin, and Rangers are not assassins.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 17 May 2011 15:07

Calador wrote:Rangers are not assassins.
but but but ... :?

I suggested Rohim something along the lines of "merging RoN, RoI and elven archers guilds" into a viable choice with a skill/feature setup that's quite different from today's status. Let's see what will come out of my most favourite Gen-guild in the end. I'm a tad confused, finding myself ... excited would be the best word, I guess. :? :lol:

btw. RoG are long-gone - they were worse in combat than RoN and RoI, but better in casting (supposedly ...) than both of those; was there ever all 3 of them open at the same moment anyway?

Calador
Wizard

Post by Calador » 17 May 2011 15:21

Yes, there was a time when all of them were open.

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 18 May 2011 12:24

Okay, here are my thoughts on the rangers..

Personally. I dont think the ranger should have a guild as such. they are rebels who live in the wild and on different inns and sorts..

The should be able to have a tent to place anywhere they want in ME when they quit, and the tent wouldnt be able to be robbed or entered, and the rangers could keep 2 weapons, 1 shield, 1 full set of body armours.
give them all a private little rack(tent) give them hideouts where they can choose to meet up and crave messages in trees and what not for rangers only to read.
Remove brawl, and make them swing a bloody sword like Aragorn. high offence, low defence, and able to sneak and hide with out exhaustion.
Make them a bit more a force of nature, small healing, small spells ect ect. Able to to repair items from usage of natural things, leathers from beasts, wood from threes, whetstones.. ect ect..

wacky or ?
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/