The Battle of the Plains of Krynn

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Wolverine
Adventurer

The Battle of the Plains of Krynn

Post by Wolverine » 01 Sep 2011 10:16

Greetings,

I see little war between the guilds of Krynn, been almost a year since I heard
of a Knight battling a Dragonarmy Soldier.

It would be nice if the guilds in Krynn would benefit of having all of the plains, like lowered tax or maybe be given improve defence and parry while walking on the plain that is in the players guilds' conquer.

Regards,

Wolvie

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: The Battle of the Plains of Krynn

Post by Cherek » 03 Sep 2011 16:01

Having rewards for holding the plains have been discussed many times, and I think many of us agree it would be great with some type of reward for holding the plains.

I think as with many things, the problem is we are low on wizards to do the work. The last time I was a wizard I know there were plans for this, I came up with a bunch of ideas for rewards myself, but Krynn is a huge domain with too few wizards...

Maybe you're up for the job? The wizard application board is in Sparkle! But if you dont want to actually code, I think writing down a very detailed suggestion on how things could work would be very helpful. That way a skilled coder might be able to fix it much quicker than if they have to come up with absolutely everything too.

Having previously been a wizard of Krynn, and a mortal in the Krynn guilds most of my time in the game I have given this a lot of thought myself. Allthough I kind of ended up with more questions than answers I think... :)

My personal thoughts,

I think lowered tax is a bit boring as it doesnt really show and for most they wont even notice it. Skills or stats is perhaps more fun and could be reasonable story-wise since the army controlling the most plains would most likely feel more confident knowing they have the upper hand. Or perhaps we can come up with some more clever and fun rewards?

Titles? equipment? features added to the guild? pvp-boost? random rewards each time? better rewards for holding an area closer to the enemy? Better rewards the longer you hold an area? Should the war "end" with a winner who gets the reward for a set "peace" time? or should the system be neverending, and the rewards be lost as soon as you lose an area?

Also to consider, rewards are tricky, it can easily turn into punishment for the losing side making them feel its no fun. Especially if it is an uneven battle between active and inactive guilds. I personally think the reward should be small enough so that it doesnt matter too much if you dont hold the plains. But still big enough to be worthwhile. A hard balance. We do not want to punish the weaker guild too much, and we dont want to force people to spend 24/7 on the plains because they feel they have to. Which was perhaps the case sometimes with the old system.

Another thing to consider is that there are two different "evil" guilds and two different "good" guilds battling. This is also
something that needs to be solved before rewards are implemented I think, or it could lead to red and blue wings fighting for the same areas, maybe even fighting eachother, and Neidars and knights doing the same. Would it be better if it is the combined areas controlled by the evil and good side that counts? And both guilds benefit from the same rewards? Or is it better with four distinct factions all competing for the reward?

Lots of questions!

Daniel
Beginner

Post by Daniel » 15 Sep 2011 04:24

I think the battle of the plains should be done away with entirely. Take any efforts that are being done towards the plains system and incorporate these efforts more into the guilds themselves and offer harsh penalties for those who idle in leadership roles which destroy guilds.

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 15 Sep 2011 09:30

Cherek wrote:Having rewards for holding the plains have been discussed many times, and I think many of us agree it would be great with some type of reward for holding the plains.

I think as with many things, the problem is we are low on wizards to do the work. The last time I was a wizard I know there were plans for this, I came up with a bunch of ideas for rewards myself, but Krynn is a huge domain with too few wizards...

Maybe you're up for the job? The wizard application board is in Sparkle! But if you dont want to actually code, I think writing down a very detailed suggestion on how things could work would be very helpful. That way a skilled coder might be able to fix it much quicker than if they have to come up with absolutely everything too.

Having previously been a wizard of Krynn, and a mortal in the Krynn guilds most of my time in the game I have given this a lot of thought myself. Allthough I kind of ended up with more questions than answers I think... :)

My personal thoughts,

I think lowered tax is a bit boring as it doesnt really show and for most they wont even notice it. Skills or stats is perhaps more fun and could be reasonable story-wise since the army controlling the most plains would most likely feel more confident knowing they have the upper hand. Or perhaps we can come up with some more clever and fun rewards?

Titles? equipment? features added to the guild? pvp-boost? random rewards each time? better rewards for holding an area closer to the enemy? Better rewards the longer you hold an area? Should the war "end" with a winner who gets the reward for a set "peace" time? or should the system be neverending, and the rewards be lost as soon as you lose an area?

Also to consider, rewards are tricky, it can easily turn into punishment for the losing side making them feel its no fun. Especially if it is an uneven battle between active and inactive guilds. I personally think the reward should be small enough so that it doesnt matter too much if you dont hold the plains. But still big enough to be worthwhile. A hard balance. We do not want to punish the weaker guild too much, and we dont want to force people to spend 24/7 on the plains because they feel they have to. Which was perhaps the case sometimes with the old system.

Another thing to consider is that there are two different "evil" guilds and two different "good" guilds battling. This is also
something that needs to be solved before rewards are implemented I think, or it could lead to red and blue wings fighting for the same areas, maybe even fighting eachother, and Neidars and knights doing the same. Would it be better if it is the combined areas controlled by the evil and good side that counts? And both guilds benefit from the same rewards? Or is it better with four distinct factions all competing for the reward?

Lots of questions!
I have an idea for a good reward system that would work. Who should I send it to?

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 15 Sep 2011 09:55

Daniel wrote:I think the battle of the plains should be done away with entirely. Take any efforts that are being done towards the plains system and incorporate these efforts more into the guilds themselves and offer harsh penalties for those who idle in leadership roles which destroy guilds.
I thought Gorboth came after the idle guild-leaders and made certain they understood that it was unacceptable...?
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 16 Sep 2011 20:21

Recoba: Send them to Navarre!

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 16 Sep 2011 23:25

Cherek wrote:Recoba: Send them to Navarre!
Thanks, already sent it to him :mrgreen:

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 17 Sep 2011 00:11

Maybe you could post the suggestions here aswell?
Then we could give our input aswell on them :)
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 17 Sep 2011 03:58

Daniel wrote:I think the battle of the plains should be done away with entirely. Take any efforts that are being done towards the plains system and incorporate these efforts more into the guilds themselves and offer harsh penalties for those who idle in leadership roles which destroy guilds.
Perhaps an improved and more fun war system also would improve the interest of the members and leaders of the guilds involved? Make them want to play a little more?

I think the absolutely best way to promote player and guild leadership activity is to increase the fun of the game as a whole.

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 17 Sep 2011 09:49

Cherek wrote:
Perhaps an improved and more fun war system also would improve the interest of the members and leaders of the guilds involved? Make them want to play a little more?

I think the absolutely best way to promote player and guild leadership activity is to increase the fun of the game as a whole.
I'd have to say that in my view the war system is an actual part of those guilds.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/