Guild Updates

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zhar
Wizard

Re: Being Hidden As A Substitute For Range

Post by Zhar » 18 Jan 2013 13:49

Laurel wrote:
Zhar wrote:Right now there are several guilds out there that use ranged combat and they're the most OP guilds out there if you know how to use them. Even the fact that you can shoot something from adjacent location without it retaliating is a huge boost.
I gotta tell Kvator how OP he could be if he only knew how to use his guild ...
By "ranged combat" I had in mind the use of bows :)
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 18 Jan 2013 14:02

Zhar wrote:
Laurel wrote:
Zhar wrote:Right now there are several guilds out there that use ranged combat and they're the most OP guilds out there if you know how to use them. Even the fact that you can shoot something from adjacent location without it retaliating is a huge boost.
I gotta tell Kvator how OP he could be if he only knew how to use his guild ...
By "ranged combat" I had in mind the use of bows :)

That must be the reason for all those bow using rangers I see everywhere. :)

Zhar
Wizard

Re: Guild Updates

Post by Zhar » 18 Jan 2013 14:04

That must be it ;)
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Strider
Adept

Post by Strider » 18 Jan 2013 20:05

If you go back and re-read my note, I think you'll see that we are almost completely in agreement, Zhar.

I mean, I am actually of the opinion that spatial awareness is actually in the can't be done without completely rewriting Genesis one way or another category, and that inter-container combat is antithetical to the overall design concept, but at that point I think we're quibbling.

Further, I am strongly in favor of removing all the piecemeal implementations of ranged combat, and think that the guild recode project would be a great opportunity to do just that.

The question at that point is "what then?"

Now, I would argue that the mythology and iconography of snipers, hunters and the like, is so steeped into our source material that I don't believe we can simply have completely unbowed Eleven Archers and woefully deranged Rangers.

So, if the fluff is indispensable but the normal crunch is impossible, the question becomes one of looking at what mechanics we want and evaluating which one(s) can best implement the "reality". Hidden-range opens several possibilities for individual and team tactics, and should be able to be added with a small number of admittedly complex fix points.

As for the stealth system itself, I was under the impression that it was conceptually about as good as it could be, and can't recall any specific complaints or reasonable improvement suggestions for it.
The preceding collection of words was presented by Strider's Player.
Any meaning you ascribe to them is most likely due to lucky happenstance or your misinterpretation.

If you'd prefer Strider's opinion, you'll probably have to ask for it in game.

Targun
Adept

Post by Targun » 21 Jan 2013 23:26

Spatial, inter-container, antithetical, quibbling, piecemeal, woefully deranged Rangers, indispensable fluff and normal crunch impossible.

So many cool words and phrases!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 22 Jan 2013 01:36

Targun wrote:Spatial, inter-container, antithetical, quibbling, piecemeal, woefully deranged Rangers, indispensable fluff and normal crunch impossible.

So many cool words and phrases!

Sometimes I wish I had a Strider-translator...

Well, seriously, since english isnt my native language I sometimes have real trouble understanding your posts Strider... which means I probably miss the point you are trying to make.

Strider
Adept

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Post by Strider » 22 Jan 2013 20:48

Cherek wrote:Sometimes I wish I had a Strider-translator...

Well, seriously, since english isnt my native language I sometimes have real trouble understanding your posts Strider... which means I probably miss the point you are trying to make.
I apologize, but unfortunately I am imagining such density, nuance and precision that when I try to simplify my vocabulary and sentence structure, I end up barfing out many more words... so many, many, more...

I usually do try to find a happy medium, but occasionally I just chuck things straight out of my head and hope that someone will call me on it if I am effectively babbling incomprehensibly to myself. Feel free to PM me if you think one of us should be embarrassed or simply put something in the thread.

Honestly, there are plenty of brilliant, native English speakers with whom I have failed to communicate efficiently and my wife has first dibs on any Strider-translator prototypes.

Well, except for "completely unbowed Eleven Archers and woefully deranged Rangers", which was more or less unjustifiable punning. I included that simply because it made me giggle.
The preceding collection of words was presented by Strider's Player.
Any meaning you ascribe to them is most likely due to lucky happenstance or your misinterpretation.

If you'd prefer Strider's opinion, you'll probably have to ask for it in game.

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 22 Jan 2013 22:38

Sometimes I wish I had a Strider-translator...
Me too...

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 23 Jan 2013 06:25

Strider: Hehe, well it's nice to know I am not the only one having trouble with how you write sometimes. Personally, my problem is I think that the best way to prove a point is to really rub it in, writing really long posts (with less complicated english), usually explaining the same thing more than once in the same post. The result? Many people probably just see a whole lot of text and dont even bother reading it...

I am really trying to write shorter posts and mails and stuff, but It's not easy, so I understand you're having trouble "simplifying" your language. Maybe it's easier to code a translator. And for me, a summarizer. :)

Zar
Hero

Re: What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Post by Zar » 24 Jan 2013 08:43

strider wrote: I try to simplify my vocabulary and sentence structure.
Oh... Please don't.

I am not native English speaker, but I really enjoy Your posts and learn new words from it. So don't even consider
:ugeek:

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/