Amberlee's feelings on ScoP, etc.

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kas
Legend

Re: Amberlee's feelings on ScoP, etc.

Post by Kas » 01 Oct 2012 08:33

Actually, it's really not about what is hardcoded. From someone new and in an undead state, he is welcome to enter the temple, getting the blessings, allowed to start and complete the chain of the entryquest while having zero indication nowhere, not even by the lore, that he actually is unwanted. Elements hating undeads, at best just assumptions and speculation, with Psuache as exception.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 01 Oct 2012 11:10

Comming from someone who never tried the entryquest line:
how can you start this quest-line, while being a member of another OCC?

I'd close that gap immediately if I had access to code there.

I don't remember the SS entry-quest and requirements, but if it's the same as above - should be changed as well.

Becka
Apprentice

Post by Becka » 01 Oct 2012 12:58

Laurel wrote:For all I know the code allows such perfect creations as:
MM/Knight of Takhisis
Ranger/Minotaur
Neidar/AA
Monk/Necro

and plenty more, which are both funny and stupid at once.

Doesn't seem like there's many of those running around tho, just because the code allows it. I'm quite with Aimee on this one - the added layer of RP, that can be stretched by players themselves is quite important.

For all I know, SU doesn't like sneaky bastards. On the other hand, I was explained once, that for SU in Zaren sphere it would be acceptable to become thieves if that would help them with their duties.
Same for a certain kind of Rangers - it would be (stupidly, but still) RP-possible for them to become pirates, just to pretend they are not Rangers (deception).

Most stupid creations I met was MM/tricksters (yeah, the RP ...).
Personally I rather like the fact that people are individuals. One of my favorite pet peeves is when someone adhere to a set of unwritten and certainly unspoken rules that a character of this or that guild must be like this or that person from said guild. It adds nothing to the experience of meeting such a player since all they do is re-hash behaviour that somehow got set-in-stone years ago.

Personality will always triumph over some sort of made-up behaviour that is commonly associated with a particular guild.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 01 Oct 2012 14:01

Obviously I'd LOVE to play a Ranger-necromancer (as you can read up in Tolkien - re-hash of Aragorn). That is however not really possible in Gen. That is why I suggested once before, that necros should actually be neutral (not "vile darkness") for the sake of Gen-mechanics.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 01 Oct 2012 14:24

I agree with Laurel actually regarding necros. It is afterall a selfstudy in a single branch of magic.

Players adding an additional layer of rp on a guild is also fine, adding a pendulum that may swing in several directions over time, even if it breaks consistency.

So, if this aversion vs undead is purely such a layer, I have no further issues with it.

MM/blademasters are cute :)
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Aimee
Wanderer

Post by Aimee » 01 Oct 2012 20:16

A friend and I were talking yesterday about this idea of Alignment in Genesis,

Let me give you the example he gave me. Is it more evil to kill a neutral troll who is minding his own business in a cave, or racist Knights who attack goblins on sight no matter what their alignment or guild might be.

This stumped me a bit, because to be honest I have never liked that the Knight's NPCs attack ALL goblins on sight. So this discussion led to us talking about alternatives. Obviously they would require quite a bit of work, but the idea of Factions came up. Depending how you behaved in a domain you would earn faction points either as friendly to a group or unfriendly..etc.. and that group would then interact with you based on that.

For example, Middle Earth. You kill Hobbits all the time. Well you would be unwelcome by hobbits and they would attack on site, however Orcs in the orc camp may recognize you as a friend and let you pass unharmed. Just an example.

All this talk about what is good and evil and RP and such just made me think of this.

Aimee
vita aeterna

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 01 Oct 2012 21:34

What you refer to is factionstandings rather than alignment, a model I always loved(and in gametersm makes more sense). Good and evil = just point of view, really.

You could for example make Scop and MM opposites, grinding for mm faction automatically worsens your relationships with scops and vice versa. The array of guilds opposing MMs could be more than just one, like including rangers (natural enemies), plus some more that openly defies the Black Master.

Though, such a system probably requires a major overhaul of the game, and classifications of what npc's belonging to different factions etc.

I think my earliest introduction to factions was in Everquest, and I found it back then to be a "magical" thing. Killing all those oversized trees(ents) made them quite angry, and outright hostile over time. WoW have similar factions integrated aswell (also known as rep-grinding, a secondary gameobjective beside just dinging levels).

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 02 Oct 2012 03:25

The idea of factionalizing Genesis is a long-standing dream. It is very difficult to achieve, as Kas said. But, who knows ... a to-do for the far far future way down the line, perhaps. ;-)

Lets bring in all the players we can handle, first. Then we'll have all the energy we need to take on the world.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 02 Oct 2012 18:29

As a former Liege of Calia, let me just say that the entire land of Calia's relationship with undead creatures is part of the Chronicles. It really should surprise no one who studies the Chronicles that the Elementals are fundamentally opposed to the effects that undead have on the land.

There is actually a much deeper storyline in Calia related to the undead that was started with the undead caves and the kroug invasion (anyone notice the avengers that appear when you kill certain kroug?). The unfortunate thing is that the story was never fully fleshed out into actual code. Something that would be nice to rectify sometime - which may make this whole discussion moot if more of it was obvious.

EDIT: was informed that they're called avengers, not avatars. :lol:

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 24 Oct 2012 17:46

Laurel wrote:For all I know the code allows such perfect creations as:
Monk/Necro
Threadomancy time!

The code allows that but I don't believe anyone who has joined DO would go Necro, and even if such a person would happen to be he/she would most likely get booted by the council.

DO has one thing it doesn't like or allow (except for killing dragons of course): necromancy.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/