Chemosh - Discussion

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amberlee
Myth

Chemosh - Discussion

Post by Amberlee » 05 Dec 2012 21:28

[Moderator - this was split from the Cult of Chemosh thread to become it's own topic.]

Me i'm actually curious if it becomes a "mage" guild or a "cleric" guild.
Only "mage" like guild in genesis atm is necros..
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Rhaegar
Legend

Re: The Cult of Chemosh

Post by Rhaegar » 05 Dec 2012 21:37

amberlee wrote:Me i'm actually curious if it becomes a "mage" guild or a "cleric" guild.
And what about Morgul (wait for it) Mages?
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Aimee
Wanderer

Post by Aimee » 05 Dec 2012 21:45

There are two important things that need to be considered here when thinking about the alignment/type of guild this will be.

First, even though Chemosh is an Evil deity, he isn't really "evil". He hates life which puts him in direct opposition of Mishakal, but he also hates Takhisis, Sargonnas, etc... Chemosh is actually kind of off on his own little island in respect to his allegiances because of his experiences trusting Takhsis with his secrets and such.

So keep that in mind that Chemosh really doesn't align himself completely with any of the other deities even though he would obviously be considered "evil" he doesn't necessarily see himself that way.

On the second side of things is Necromancy in general. I realize that Necromancy is considered to be an evil thing. It is a perversion of life and so goes against that whole sort of ideal. The reality behind necromancy though is that it is more an attempt by humanity to understand and gain control over the one thing that they have no control over...death.

Necromancers themsevles, whether they be in Krynn, Forgotten Realms, etc... do not necessarily see themselves as evil, very much like chemosh, they place themselves on another island and just realize that people don't "understand" what they are doing.

Necromancers see themselves are working to gain knowledge and comprehension of death in order to gain power over it. that is the ultimate goal, to have power over death.

All in all this guild provides a variety of RP opportunities, specifically because Worshippers of Chemosh, like Necromancers, each have their own ideas and considerations for why they do what they do.

Overall, it is going to be really really neat!
vita aeterna

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 05 Dec 2012 21:48

Rhaegar wrote:
amberlee wrote:Me i'm actually curious if it becomes a "mage" guild or a "cleric" guild.

Mages only in name not in occupation.
They are clerics.. As in reciving spells from a deity which can be taken away at the whim of said deity.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Aimee
Wanderer

Post by Aimee » 05 Dec 2012 21:57

I'll reply again from the point of Necromancy,

Necromancers, although they may worship a particular deity and be connected with this deity, all necromantic "powers" are developed through painstaking research, trial and error, and manipulation of life forces.

In this respect being worshippers of Chemosh, I guess you could say they would be similar to wizards in Krynn. Their power comes from a God, but that god does not necessarily give them the power. This is how I would see it when trying to tie the RP of Krynn and Chemosh in with the Necromancy (which itself has a deep and rich history/RP of it's own).

Aimee
vita aeterna

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 05 Dec 2012 22:39

amberlee wrote:
Rhaegar wrote:

Mages only in name not in occupation.
They are clerics.. As in reciving spells from a deity which can be taken away at the whim of said deity.
Well, RP-wise magic is pretty mysterious in ME anyway and practically unachievable by mortals. All the mentioned wizards were either Maiar (Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast, Alatar, Pallando, Sauron, Melkor, Tulkas) or Elves who used some lesser magic for the most part. All that came from the divine though so there's no real "magic" in the most common RP sense in Middle-Earth, even though on the technical side, much of it is quite similar to what passes for regular magic in say AD&D.

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Chemosh - Discussion

Post by gorboth » 06 Dec 2012 03:29

The theme I am going for is reflected fairly well in the title. This is a "Cult" rather than a Priesthood. The gifts of Chemosh are viewed more as valued teachings and techniques by which one might grow and achieve mastery of death rather than holy edicts that call one to the service of a God. Scholarship, study, practice, and voluminous toil are the hallmarks of a Necromancer's lifestyle as I see it in this experience. The rewards will be unlike anything the game has yet offered, and potentially remarkable in terms of power. The cost and the climb, however, will separate those who have what it takes from those who do not. Do not expect this to feel like "the dark side" as it is defined in things like Star Wars, where the path to power is "quicker, easier, more seductive." If anything, these Necromancers will be more like Jedi, who know their craft through long proving, and trust in its slow eternal burn.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 06 Dec 2012 20:19

gorboth wrote:The theme I am going for is reflected fairly well in the title. This is a "Cult" rather than a Priesthood.
Cult
/kəlt/

Noun

1. A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
2. A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

Synonyms:
worship - religion - adoration

Are you sure you've chosen the right title? All this time I was sure it was another priest guild (not so much priesthood but more a band of worshippers, with some "priests" leading it, pretty much how Khiraa worked with its lichpriest caste)...

Seems more like a "Cabal" than a "Cult" to me (Hiddukel has one, Chemosh could have one too).
Last edited by Rhaegar on 06 Dec 2012 20:29, edited 2 times in total.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 06 Dec 2012 20:28

I'm confused now.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 06 Dec 2012 20:33

Oh Rhaegar is just picking nits :p

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/