A new take on vampirism/guild

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Aimee
Wanderer

Re: A new take on vampirism/guild

Post by Aimee » 08 Oct 2013 17:28

Wow, it's been a while since we have had this conversation.

I was lucky enough to be a member of a fantastic guild that was a ton of fun to roleplay and was incredibly enjoyable. The majority of the people within that guild were fantastic and I miss interacting with them regularly. To be honest, being a Vampire was one of the most enjoyable things I've done in Genesis.

The reason they closed down was due to numerous complaints about behavior of some of our members. Player killing and such. Which I find funny considering that the player doing the most complaining is now the one who most of us are complaining about...

There is nothing wrong with a Vampire guild at all. There is nothing wrong with any guild. Guilds are code that provide abilities, emotes, and are balanced by the Wizards to fit within the realms. People are the ones who cause the problems with all guilds. One person can ruin the reputation of an entire guild and can cause major problems with that guild.

I, personally, think that the Vampire guild could have been much more than it was. I tried to represent myself as a good vampire and be more visible rather than being around in the dark all the time.

A vampire guild that is based on sneaking around in the shadows and not being seen does nothing to help Genesis though. Visibility, interaction, etc... this is what we need. Think not Brujah or Nosferatu from Masquerade, think visible, charismatic, inviting. If a vampire guild were to exist in any form I think that they would need to have the ability to be present and visible. Yes, sun hurts them in all the fiction, but night time and day time also last a lot longer so there is time to do things.

I miss the Vampire guild, I'd be happy to see one come back, but frankly, not if it ends up being what it was just before we closed. The people involved would also need to be very clear on roleplay, style, and interactions.

At least my thoughts.
Aimee
vita aeterna

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 08 Oct 2013 23:45

Aimee wrote:Yes, sun hurts them in all the fiction, but night time and day time also last a lot longer so there is time to do things.
Actually, the very popular DotA game had a great take on it with the Nightstalker hero. He got some abilities, of which most didn't do much (if anything at all) during the day, but turned him into a powerhouse at night. I believe that such concept could work in Genesis (in lieu of the "visibility" argument) - sun doesn't hurt you but it renders you almost impotent. No hit to the social aspect but a big hit to the killy aspect (and I would tie it down to the actual time of day, not simply darkness/light).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 09 Oct 2013 00:10

Zhar wrote:
Aimee wrote:Yes, sun hurts them in all the fiction, but night time and day time also last a lot longer so there is time to do things.
Actually, the very popular DotA game had a great take on it with the Nightstalker hero. He got some abilities, of which most didn't do much (if anything at all) during the day, but turned him into a powerhouse at night. I believe that such concept could work in Genesis (in lieu of the "visibility" argument) - sun doesn't hurt you but it renders you almost impotent. No hit to the social aspect but a big hit to the killy aspect (and I would tie it down to the actual time of day, not simply darkness/light).
I agree with the darkness vs night/day cycle. At day, the abilities simply are at a shutdown, and vice versa.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 09 Oct 2013 03:27

Well I think over all much has changed in Genesis since the vampires were shut down.
a lot of class balances have been put into place. they have had some successes with racial guilds that had other guild slots as well, such as ogre/kender.

Id say once the class balances are done they should give vampires another go at it with a few tweaks . If it works awesome if it doesn't they just shut them down again, no big deal right. But vampires are a classic guild and part of the genesis culture. and heck if this works out maybe they can give other shut down guilds like mystics a new look.

It makes more sense in light of the anniversary to bring back balanced old classes provided there is interest. because a lot of ancient people are coming back and a lot of them are probably like...aww where are my guilds? Also one would think it might be easier to balance old classes cause we know where they can go wrong.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 09 Oct 2013 08:11

reopen vampires, by all means, as long it also means that the remaining guilds get their recode and balancing done finally
after that - reopen vampires, Khiraa or open zombie-mashers - whatever
key word "after"

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 09 Oct 2013 13:32

So, rebalance/revise the current guild then launch provided there are players interested in playing a vamp. Sounds good to most of you?
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 09 Oct 2013 14:04

Yes.. But who would run it?
If one of the old Vampires ran it, the prejudice that they would turn back into a super-violent guild is there.
Have someone else run it, and the old vampire would feel neglected and even insulted.
I AM all for a Vampire guild in genesis though.
Would perhaps work if someone new took over the initial leadership of the guild..
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Aimee
Wanderer

Post by Aimee » 09 Oct 2013 18:16

Oh, I love this,

The idea of having powers be weak when it is day and strong at night totally appeals to me. That is a brilliant idea.

As for who would run it? Well, I'd love to volunteer myself :) I think I did a fairly good job of not being overly violent and I certainly had an excellent RP background to joining if I do say so myself. There are not many things I'm good at in Genesis, but RP is one that I like to think I do.

Sorry, I rarely toot my own horn, so I felt like I had some latitude to do so this time round.

Aimee
vita aeterna

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 09 Oct 2013 18:35

I think part of being a vampire is the baggage that comes along with it, and it should not be easily negated with an ingame trinket. The 'burden of the cross' should be as apparent as their strengths, forcing the member to think twice/contemplate about their state and if they indeed are strong enough/fit for this gift in the long run...

"Eternal life, eternal grace, eternal pain, eternal strife."

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 09 Oct 2013 18:45

If a day/night cycle was global, this would be a very cool thing.
And yeah would be good to have a RPer in charge.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/