A new take on vampirism/guild

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Kas
Legend

A new take on vampirism/guild

Post by Kas » 03 Oct 2013 18:50

Greetings.

I would like to have a debate/discussion about vampires, a currently closed
guild that sparked some controversies in the past. In Genesis, I miss something,
like some real enigmas, mysteries, the unknown and the hidden, even if it's
in a guildform like for example vampires.

The reason I miss such a guild which could be thematically is, they sort of present
a third faction or party beside the "goodies" and the "evils", spawning more
interguild politics and dilemmas, something I feel the game is direly lacking.

Now, many remember the controversies and the gamemechanics of the closed vamps,
but what if it was changed, recoded and made to work differently? I think
such a guild could prosper in Genesis with completely altered gamemechanics
supporting them, with all the positive and negative aspects of vampirism
as often portrayed in the popular culture.

What do you think of again having such a guild in Genesis? Please comment/reflect
on positive and negative aspects of such an idea. Please though, such a guild
could work completely different than the latter ones (so we don't go into a
potential fallacious position of assuming it will be exacly like before in
terms of guildpower, recruitment policy,exploits and so on).

Thanks.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Draugor
Myth

Re: A new take on vampirism/guild

Post by Draugor » 03 Oct 2013 19:02

If I recall the problem was the type of members it attracted and the powers it had from the start? If that could be sorted in some way and people didnt tell everyone and their uncle whos a vamp and whos not it would add a nice element to the game, never knowing whos a corspehumper ;)

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 03 Oct 2013 19:07

Draugor wrote:If I recall the problem was the type of members it attracted and the powers it had from the start? If that could be sorted in some way and people didnt tell everyone and their uncle whos a vamp and whos not it would add a nice element to the game, never knowing whos a corspehumper ;)
Guild ethics and guildpower, fine arguments.

Who's who may leak eventually anyway, but do the individuals have the integrity to separate characters?
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 03 Oct 2013 20:07

I am all for a guild like that.
And would even play a character in such a guild given the chance.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 03 Oct 2013 21:57

I agree that the game could benefit from having a close-knit, neutral guild that could form a third-party in the good vs evil struggle.
I presume the Vampire concept could be as good as any for this, since the problems of the past Vamp guilds have been the players, not the concept it self.
Hopefully the Elementalist OCC will be a true neutral party that could make the good vs evil struggle more interesting. Not like the Neidar or Spirit Circle guilds which are neutral game mechanic-wise, but might as well be actual goodie guilds.

Anyways I miss the mystery too, like when we all started out and didn't know much about anything - Thing were new and full of mystery and wonder back then. :-) Still basing a guild on secrecy in Genesis is probably not a good idea, as very few things stays secret for long in this game.

Amberlee wrote:And would even play a character in such a guild given the chance.
If its the Vamp guild, you know you won't be allowed in, unless you're RL buddy with the inner circle ;-)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 03 Oct 2013 22:56

I think basing a guild entirely on secrecy is a failed concept. You can create a guild with components not so transparent to everyone else, and let the members try to keep the content as secret as possible, but it shouldn't compromise the guild's integrity. So my opinion is, secrecy is fine as a factor, but not as the sum of all the factors.

Even if everything is exposed, a vampireguild (or similar) could still function and maintain it's primary role and function in the game.

Somehow, even with the elementalists in the play, they won't necessarily fill the function of such a guild as above due to their 'binding' nature, consolidating into a greater "uniform" unit prohibing some of the interesting gameplay options between the various existing guilds.

Tactically it's wise, but due to the small number of guilds, factions and players in the game, I think it currently ruin alot of politics, schemes and play.

The vampires were a wildcard, perhaps the joker in the deck of cards so I miss them, or such a faction in the game.

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 03 Oct 2013 23:01

I like the idea and the theme. I guess my question is, is there enough of a separation in Roleplay currently between good and evils to make a difference? Or is it two different factions grinding xp in different areas avoiding each other completely?

What does a neutral party bring to the table other than another OCC guild? SC are goodies, and while Hektor will challenge the point, the proof is in the typical companions of choice for he and his guildmates. Neidar, while currently under fire for being dickheads, are "goodies" too.

If it's an undead "neutral no align-restriction" guild, that has powers and drawbacks accordingly, then is it just a Mercenary guild with pale skin?

Keep in mind balance, too. All guilds are meant to be balanced to within a certain degree, so what's the draw? Old Vamps were powerful and the best pvp players/powerplayers were members (which inherently brings about a different level of power when played by smart people.)

How do you bring in a new guild that has to be balanced, but has mystery and neutrality on its side, but is no more powerful than say the Glads. Again, I love the idea, but challenge its necessity in the new balanced world.

Sorry for rambling.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 03 Oct 2013 23:38

Nothing stops you from RP'ing a vampire. In fact - more than enough skills, emotes, items, to make it work.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 04 Oct 2013 00:54

Makfly wrote:
Amberlee wrote:And would even play a character in such a guild given the chance.
If its the Vamp guild, you know you won't be allowed in, unless you're RL buddy with the inner circle ;-)

You think about the former vampire guild.. And what you just said is false.
You know what they say about making assumptions, right?
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Kas
Legend

Post by Kas » 04 Oct 2013 01:12

Manglor wrote: How do you bring in a new guild that has to be balanced, but has mystery and neutrality on its side, but is no more powerful than say the Glads. Again, I love the idea, but challenge its necessity in the new balanced world.
Well, that's relatively easy. If I understand the globalization balancing correctly, the guild is given a max efficiency they can utilize at the same time.

If we use the power of gladiators as a base in this hypothetical example, we could in a simplistic manner give the vampires some extra boom at nighttime (not in darkness), and vice versa. Let's say they got 10% boost at night, and 10% penalty at day, which would give the guild an extra dimention.

Then mystery - Every vampire grows/gains his/her own set of abilities that is unique in appearance, function and method, based on anything from factors like guildxp, stat distributions, "mysteries solved/delved into", age, randomly selected seeded on their names, ages or some other criterias, or combinations. May or may not be personally selected, but 'discovered' through hints and such. Not an A4-approach.

I think it can be done easily, but with a substantial amount of work to truly make it feel unique and mysterious, atleast far beyond what Genesis have today.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/