Hidden titles

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
User avatar
Zhar
Wizard
Posts: 903
Joined: 17 Apr 2012 12:09

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Zhar » 07 Oct 2013 01:57

Snowrose wrote:maybe shorten titles rather than hide " of the rangers" should be fine for somone not wanting thier title to be a mile long. plus as i mention before if you got a hooded ranger cloak,satchel,herbing gloves, its not a secret. its like trying to hide your a knight while on a warhorse, or a calian whille wolfheaded.
It's not about hiding the fact that you're a Ranger, it's more about hiding your identity even from friends, everything you're wearing etc. On a side note: Calian wolf helms could use an upgrade I think. I've always loved the idea but they're just not good enough, perhaps if they scaled with your guildstat to the levels similar to some good helmets people actually use...
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

User avatar
Snowrose
Rising Hero
Posts: 307
Joined: 09 Mar 2012 22:04
Location: Reseda
Contact:

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Snowrose » 07 Oct 2013 03:22

i dont know if this was changed but you used to be able to hairpull and eyepoke even if someone was cloaked thus seeing custom hair/eyecolour thus outing ppl who are vain.
Image

Kiara
Champion
Posts: 610
Joined: 03 May 2013 16:20

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Kiara » 14 Oct 2013 02:28

Well the two occupational guilds that I think needs to be able to hide titles are mercenaries and thieves. Mercenaries because they give you the option to RP your layman guild. If you wanna be a full time pirate, minstrel, or anything, you can join the mercs incognito, only have your layman title, and use the mercs to boost your layman skills if you want to. So incognito mercs is in my opinion a great thing that we shouldnt take away.

Thieves? For obvious reasons.

But mages and rangers? I never understood that. Why do they have the ability to hide their titles? Makes no sense to. Besides, none of them really dare introduce anyway, so there's really no need for them to have hidden titles. AA makes little sense too... its an army. And they never were really sneaky. Maybe thats an intention lore-wise, I dont know, but AAs in general are far from sneaky. The opposite. Loud and proud.

I think the idea of giving more laymans the ability to not show their titles is a good one though. At least some of them. I've always lacked that neutral mercenary-style layman guild. Where you can join and get some benefits of a layman guild, without having to affiliate yourself with a certain faction or style of RP. That would be neat.

For instance, for a kender there's really no layman guild that makes sense RP-wise. Minstrels could perhaps make some sense, possibly, but none of the rest does. Sure, tricksters, but well... thats more like a club, and should in my opinion become a one, or a craft guild. But there's no incognito neutral layman guild without any special affiliations, so therefore you see pirate kenders, militia kenders, clerical kenders, and so on. And the same thing goes for other races and guilds too. Sometimes there just isnt a good RP fit between layman and occupational, which is where the mercs come in handy as an occupational choice, but I wish we had a layman choice too.

Laurel

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Laurel » 14 Oct 2013 09:18

Kiara wrote:But mages and rangers? I never understood that. Why do they have the ability to hide their titles? Makes no sense to. Besides, none of them really dare introduce anyway, so there's really no need for them to have hidden titles. AA makes little sense too... its an army. And they never were really sneaky. Maybe thats an intention lore-wise, I dont know, but AAs in general are far from sneaky. The opposite. Loud and proud.
Rangers like Aragorn are not supposed to present themselves as a Ranger to everyone and their aunt.
Besides - is being really sneaky now a reason, or not? Made no sense to me in the above part of your note.

I'd love to be able to hide layman titles. Why would anyone bother to introduce as militia or blademaster (with hidden occ title)?

Kiara
Champion
Posts: 610
Joined: 03 May 2013 16:20

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Kiara » 14 Oct 2013 13:22

Laurel wrote:
Kiara wrote:But mages and rangers? I never understood that. Why do they have the ability to hide their titles? Makes no sense to. Besides, none of them really dare introduce anyway, so there's really no need for them to have hidden titles. AA makes little sense too... its an army. And they never were really sneaky. Maybe thats an intention lore-wise, I dont know, but AAs in general are far from sneaky. The opposite. Loud and proud.
Rangers like Aragorn are not supposed to present themselves as a Ranger to everyone and their aunt.
Besides - is being really sneaky now a reason, or not? Made no sense to me in the above part of your note.

I'd love to be able to hide layman titles. Why would anyone bother to introduce as militia or blademaster (with hidden occ title)?
Hm. I am pretty much contradicting myself. Confusing! I dont know what I meant. Kender ways are mysterious? Either way my main point was that hiding layman titles makes usually more sense than hiding occupational titles. Unless if you wanna RP say a Necromancer only, or a minstrel only, etc, which I can understand someone would like. Or blademaster or militia for that mattter. And if you do want that we have the mercenaries. It's easy to RP your layman only if you want, but occupational only is harder, since most, almost all, layman guilds have pretty distinct titles. Which is kinda backwards isnt it?

User avatar
Kas
Legend
Posts: 771
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 17:54

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Kas » 14 Oct 2013 13:37

AA isn't supposed to be around in the third age, so their incognito can be defended. MM also happen to be a Secret society, also not supposed to be transparent to the uniniated. So thematically, both can be defended.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Kiara
Champion
Posts: 610
Joined: 03 May 2013 16:20

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Kiara » 14 Oct 2013 13:46

Kas wrote:AA isn't supposed to be around in the third age, so their incognito can be defended. MM also happen to be a Secret society, also not supposed to be transparent to the uniniated. So thematically, both can be defended.
Yes but RP-wise historically the AA has been the least incognito guild in Genesis. Their emotes, their ways, everything screams "HERE WE ARE" rather than incognito. Just as I did in my post above it contradicts itself. You cant be incognito and quiet while also walking around shouting Angmar, Angmar, Angmar and waving standards.:) Mages and rangers I get that they are similar sneaky counterparts. Sure. But on the other hand they also have the most distinct features in the game with their cloaks. Since its impossible to miss someone is a ranger or mage the whole "feature" of not showing the titles seem kinda... misplaced?

User avatar
Kas
Legend
Posts: 771
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 17:54

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Kas » 14 Oct 2013 13:59

Because you see a mage doesn't necessarily give you the right to know his actual rank and position? I think it's an aspect of metagaming, ruining immersion.

For something as alien and beyond the grasp of the common mortal, the only way you should be able to kbow is to join.
Might and Glory flaming for changing dawn, ancient power revealed of an iron crown, clear and cold and shining so far and bright, crush the world in one clash of your binding light.

Gû kîbum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi. Akha - gûm-ishi ashi gurum!

Mumon
Wanderer
Posts: 52
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 16:03

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Mumon » 14 Oct 2013 14:41

Laurel wrote: ... Why would anyone bother to introduce as militia or blademaster (with hidden occ title)?
Only an idiot would do that ;)

Regards,
Mumon the Exalted Swordsman, myth, male human

Laurel

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Laurel » 14 Oct 2013 14:44

Kiara wrote:Since its impossible to miss someone is a ranger
actually it is possible to hide any visible affiliation with Rangers
issue is - what for ... nowadays if you're BM or Militia (can't hide those titles, but at least items from description) and without other titles, you can either be merc or Ranger really, so if you aren't a merc ...

voicing for more secrecy in current Genesis is not really going to get any results - it's REALLY easy to determine what guild the unintroduced bypasser can be member of
and then you can always initiate combat and see the specials :twisted:

Mumon - hush! :)
Laurel Sackville, the Exalted Swordmaiden, myth, female hobbit

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/