Hidden titles

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
User avatar
gorboth
Site Admin
Posts: 2308
Joined: 03 Mar 2010 20:51
Location: Some old coffin

Re: Hidden titles

Post by gorboth » 16 Oct 2013 17:03

arcon wrote:
Laurel wrote:Just change it from autoupdated to updated on meeting?
That would work and it seems logical.
The way the who list works doesn't include storing data on each player for what the last known title was of a remembered person, and that would be a much bulkier way to build it. If you wish, you could send an email in-game to Proctor Mercade. He doesn't check these forums often, I don't believe.

I agree it would be a nifty way to do it.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Kiara
Champion
Posts: 610
Joined: 03 May 2013 16:20

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Kiara » 16 Oct 2013 19:19

amberlee wrote:
Kiara wrote:
Celephias wrote:I always find that the "He is a Nazgul of the Society of Morgul Mages" to be a bit of a give-away....
Well.... as long as you dont meet someone in person you can at least hide your guilds on the who-list. For whatever that's worth. If I dont meet a person in a while will pretty soon dont know which guild theyre in, if they hide their titles all the time,. Not sure if thats useful but well... thats the only point to hidden titles I can see. That and the ones I already said about mercs and wanting to RP your layman guild only.

Your argument fails.
Why should you instantly know everything about someone just because you met them once?
I not sure what argument I failed on?? I didnt even know I was making an argument? I said if you stay in guilds with hidden titles people will eventually not know which guild you're in, based on the who-list. Thats all. That argument cant fail, because its true! And its nor an argument, just fact.:)

Kiara
Champion
Posts: 610
Joined: 03 May 2013 16:20

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Kiara » 16 Oct 2013 19:22

I think the idea of a who list that doesnt autoupdate will be confusing, and I dont really understand what good it will do... it kinda goes against all the efforts to make the few people who still play meet. Like adding so you can see everyone awake on the who-list, and the newbieline, etc. And how am I helped by not having accurate info on my friends on the who-list?

"Hey, Amberlee, wanna team up?"
"No thank you. I am a mage now, why would we team?"

"Hey, Logg, I wann apply to the Neidars, how do I do it?"
"Uh... I am a mercenary. You'll have to ask somebody else."

It'll just be a mess... and what becomes better from it?

Amberlee
Myth
Posts: 1467
Joined: 08 Mar 2010 19:50
Location: Kristiansund, Norway

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Amberlee » 16 Oct 2013 20:10

:roll:

So basically you want everything handed to you instead of asking around and getting to know other people?
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Kiara
Champion
Posts: 610
Joined: 03 May 2013 16:20

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Kiara » 16 Oct 2013 23:04

amberlee wrote::roll:

So basically you want everything handed to you instead of asking around and getting to know other people?
No. Thats not what I want. And you sound pretty hostile, for no apparent reason. Thats no fun. Be nice. I dont think we've ever met ingame, but I think you'll have trouble finding a more social person than me! My last name is TENDERtongue, because of too much talking. So no. I am all for socializing, the more the better. I just dont see the point of having a who list that doesnt update. Remove it completely if you want, but why have it with false info, that just doesnt make sense. If the info there is 50-50 to correct, why have it at all? It's confusing. Making the game confusing on purpose makes no sense. I just dont see what would become better if it was changed? Maybe you can enlighten me? You mean people will socialize more? To manually update their wholist? "Hey, come down to Sparkle se we can re-introduce eachother?" I just dont see it. And imagine people talking on Skype and whereever. "Did you hear Amberlee switched guilds again?" So now you know the info on your who list is wrong. So you'll keep some manual lists, that you can compare to your false who-list in the game? Because its not like the now Morgul Mage Amberlee is gonna introduce to you again. So you'll have this false info on your who-list forever. See... it'll just be a big mess. More mess than any good it'll do is what I think!

And you still have to meet people in the first place and get their intro. it's not like anyone said all titles on all people should show always. I am just thinking the system we have now works? Doesnt it? Why change it for something that sounds very confusing?

User avatar
Snowrose
Rising Hero
Posts: 307
Joined: 09 Mar 2012 22:04
Location: Reseda
Contact:

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Snowrose » 17 Oct 2013 01:32

first of all amberlee always has that tone. infact if she seems polite id hit the floor. but seriously shes really fun and great at stirring up some good ol drama.

but its the topic that makes people defencive. on one hand this game was made based on hiding information to create an immersive rp environment. on the other hand the modern world is very focused on freedom of information most games litterally have your name and guild above your head.

both sides are valid with our smaller population making communication more difficult can be discoraging to a new players. and impede guild recruitment Thats why its important to try not to let rp justify being a git indescriminatly as it can result in guilds being closed.

but to much tranparency can cheapen the tradition and immersion of genesis that keeps people coming back even with so many mmos going under. joining guild being a challege creates a community of close friends. and close friends are what people play games to find.
Image

Amberlee
Myth
Posts: 1467
Joined: 08 Mar 2010 19:50
Location: Kristiansund, Norway

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Amberlee » 17 Oct 2013 07:20

Sound pretty hostile?
Believe me you would know without a doubt if I was being hostile :twisted:
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Makfly
Champion
Posts: 598
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 00:36

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Makfly » 17 Oct 2013 10:32

Kiara wrote:
amberlee wrote::roll:

So basically you want everything handed to you instead of asking around and getting to know other people?
No. Thats not what I want. And you sound pretty hostile, for no apparent reason. Thats no fun. Be nice. I dont think we've ever met ingame, but I think you'll have trouble finding a more social person than me! My last name is TENDERtongue, because of too much talking. So no. I am all for socializing, the more the better. I just dont see the point of having a who list that doesnt update. Remove it completely if you want, but why have it with false info, that just doesnt make sense. If the info there is 50-50 to correct, why have it at all? It's confusing. Making the game confusing on purpose makes no sense. I just dont see what would become better if it was changed? Maybe you can enlighten me? You mean people will socialize more? To manually update their wholist? "Hey, come down to Sparkle se we can re-introduce eachother?" I just dont see it. And imagine people talking on Skype and whereever. "Did you hear Amberlee switched guilds again?" So now you know the info on your who list is wrong. So you'll keep some manual lists, that you can compare to your false who-list in the game? Because its not like the now Morgul Mage Amberlee is gonna introduce to you again. So you'll have this false info on your who-list forever. See... it'll just be a big mess. More mess than any good it'll do is what I think!

And you still have to meet people in the first place and get their intro. it's not like anyone said all titles on all people should show always. I am just thinking the system we have now works? Doesnt it? Why change it for something that sounds very confusing?
There are a few people on this forum that seems incapable of being anything but really bitter people - Just ignore them.

Since we have an option for being included in the web-Rankings or not, can't we just have a similar option for showing your title on the Who-list?
That way you can elect 'No', if you just want your name and no title on the list, or 'Yes' if you want it displayed as it is now.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Manglor
Rising Hero
Posts: 322
Joined: 16 Sep 2013 17:30
Location: Dieppe, NB, Canada

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Manglor » 17 Oct 2013 13:29

I think it'd be neat to add the mystique -- it's not meant to be confusing.

Mortimor has a good point, make it optional. The way I see it, it'd be like:

If you haven't met the person (or lost touch as you haven't seen them in XXX days):

Manglor, male dwarf.
Amberlee, female drow.
Aimee, female half-elf.

And if you have:

Manglor the Mighty Rockfriend, Lord of Crown and Shieldwall Commander of Iron Delving, myth, male dwarf.
Amberlee blah blah blah drow title, Calian Superstar, myth, female drow.
Aimee <half-elf krynn race guild>, the High Clerist of Solamnia, legend, female half-elf.

Maybe I'm way off, it's happened before.

User avatar
Zhar
Wizard
Posts: 904
Joined: 17 Apr 2012 12:09

Re: Hidden titles

Post by Zhar » 17 Oct 2013 16:07

I'm not really sure what's all the fuss about. Certain guilds have specific reasons to be able to hide their title - Angmar and Rangers traveling incognito (or trying to), Thieves and Tricksters obviously, Mercs if they don't want to advertise they're for hire... Who else can hide it? It's been like that for the past 25 years and now you complain? Bigger issues are created by this dumb equipment that makes you not even recognize friends (RotW cloaks and SCoP shadow thingy). I've always liked the idea of some guilds having "hidden" titles.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Post Reply
http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/