Mages on recoded balance

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zestana
Expert

Mages on recoded balance

Post by Zestana » 27 Oct 2013 20:59

Not going to say much of anything other than given past guild closings of the vampires and various nerfs to the Spirit Circle due to being to powerful, your newest mage guild is more powerful than either of them ever were.

I think people who have teamed with them since the recode and people that have fought against them would all agree its imbalanced.

Not that any of the people who have teamed with them will step up to the plate on here and bear witness to it like they do on Skype but seriously. Broken much?

Laurel

Re: Mages on recoded balance

Post by Laurel » 27 Oct 2013 21:14

A lot, with questionable counter balances available.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 27 Oct 2013 21:56

Havent actually seen anything aside from the mana regen and breath so I cant really say much, the regen I suppose isso they can grind, not sure about the drawbacks they get due to it tho :s

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 28 Oct 2013 05:27

I'm fairly certain if you are not a member of the guild you don't really have a super good idea of what they can and cannot do. Nor would you know what goes into their preparation, etc...

Most of it would be speculation. Unless there are mages complaining how OP they are.

Windemere

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 28 Oct 2013 12:15

Windemere wrote: Unless there are mages complaining how OP they are.
Yeah, so often do we see posts on this forum in the form of:
"Man, this guild I'm in is so god damn powerful! Please nerf or I'll have to leave it because it's no fun any more..."
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 28 Oct 2013 16:36

Windemere wrote:I'm fairly certain if you are not a member of the guild you don't really have a super good idea of what they can and cannot do. Nor would you know what goes into their preparation, etc...

Most of it would be speculation. Unless there are mages complaining how OP they are.

Windemere

Well... imo no matter the amount of preparation some insanity is never warranted, thats like saying that a warrior with 50 weapons on him should be able to do damage with them all at once :P
I didnt get killed tho so I'm not exactly sure what its about, he got killed tho I heard :) from what I understand he was unable to move etc etc, havent seen a logg so I have no idea tbh :P But with the mages past track record on power... O_o

Celephias
Expert

Post by Celephias » 28 Oct 2013 17:26

As one would expect, the usual complaining rubbish from someone who provokes a situation in game and the gets an outcome not to his liking. These kinds of threads serve no purpose other than to try and place a guild on the defensive. We're not going to justify what we can do nor whine about we can't do. I will, however, feed the trolls a little bit with some facts:

- The guild was recoded by a very competent wizard
- The guild was extensively alpha and beta tested, with bugs and balance issues found and fixed
- The spells are implemented under, and compliant with the new standardized magic system
- Petros and team balanced plusses with minuses for the guild
- The guild is provably less powerful than it was before the recode

This all sounds like sour grapes from someone who was attempting to be a provocateur of sorts and got caught.

Windemere
Expert

Post by Windemere » 28 Oct 2013 17:28

Well,

Mages certainly have drawbacks. We are not aware of what they are though because we are not in the guild. You may think that they are really powerful, but you don't know what that power costs, how long they can be that powerful, and what happens if they fail.

Second piece most people forget is how large most of the mages are. Most of the Mages are quite high in the stats. This gives them a much larger mana pool as well as better stats all around.

Third piece is that mages are an elite guild. They should not be compared to other guilds that are not on the same level. There is likely a huge amount of "tax" that is paid for the skills and abilities that they get.

All I am saying is that you can consider a guild to be over powered and comment on it, that is totally fine, but It will always be speculation. Most guilds that people think are really powerful consider themselves to be weaker than others.

Speculation kills. Don't speculate.

Windemere

Habiki
Adept

Post by Habiki » 28 Oct 2013 17:34

That's good to know, for the sake of public relations, that the guild is at least somewhat less powerful than before.

Some other factors to consider are:
* That it is sensible for the MMs to be at least a little more powerful than other guilds, due to their RP.
* Like the Spirit Circle, they cannot have a layman branch as well, right?
* Also, I would assume that their guild tax is somewhat higher than a typical combination of occ + layman tax.

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 28 Oct 2013 18:17

Windemere wrote:Speculation kills. Don't speculate.
Well put. Need to keep in mind the situation too regarding the kill. If you give any 'elite caster guild' the element of surprise and are completely unprepared for a fight you yourself provoked, you're probably going to lose. I don't care to get into what exactly happened, but that's more than enough of an idea.

Habiki wrote:That's good to know, for the sake of public relations, that the guild is at least somewhat less powerful than before.

Some other factors to consider are:
* That it is sensible for the MMs to be at least a little more powerful than other guilds, due to their RP.
* Like the Spirit Circle, they cannot have a layman branch as well, right?
* Also, I would assume that their guild tax is somewhat higher than a typical combination of occ + layman tax.
Correct, MM are now OCC+layman built into one. Regardless of how it was before, that in itself is a large nerf. (balancing, yes, but a nerf nonetheless)

We're unaware of our tax, but if it's anything like it was before those became hidden, you've very much correct.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/