Mages on recoded balance

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Dread
Great Adventurer

Re: Mages on recoded balance

Post by Dread » 25 Oct 2016 20:36

I got an idea, how about we just all stop using the word "balance" and just accept that some (or in truth, one) guild is going to retain its title as most goodest guild at pvp. Balancing power against RP/Difficulty to Join/etc. makes no sense in the first place. Either balance ability against ability, or stop calling it what it isn't.

Horribad english intended.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 25 Oct 2016 21:46

Mersereau wrote:
Arman wrote:Every spell consumed expensive and rare herbs (herbs weren't anywhere near as prevalent as they are now). Herbs didn't save on players. And stocks of herbs were always low.
No.
Well, true, Mers ... not *EVERY* spell ... but the ones we needed to do serious pvp sure did. Plus, they consumed a single potion for every cast! And, in those days herbs were not heaped, and they dried out. You had to keep your herbs in a jar and close it or the herbs would dry out. It was a nutty time. We absolutely sucked, but no one called us on our bluff, because they didn't know what we could do, and we used a few high-profile (thanks Denbarra) events to create the illusion of lethality.

Then things changed, and MM became totally imba. ;-)

But the early days were amazingly hard and limited.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 26 Oct 2016 00:00

gorboth wrote:
Mersereau wrote:
Arman wrote:Every spell consumed expensive and rare herbs (herbs weren't anywhere near as prevalent as they are now). Herbs didn't save on players. And stocks of herbs were always low.
No.
Well, true, Mers ... not *EVERY* spell ... but the ones we needed to do serious pvp sure did. Plus, they consumed a single potion for every cast! And, in those days herbs were not heaped, and they dried out. You had to keep your herbs in a jar and close it or the herbs would dry out. It was a nutty time. We absolutely sucked, but no one called us on our bluff, because they didn't know what we could do, and we used a few high-profile (thanks Denbarra) events to create the illusion of lethality.

Then things changed, and MM became totally imba. ;-)

But the early days were amazingly hard and limited.

G.
Yep, ain't that the fact! First generation Morgul Mages really did it tough... unlike the millennials of today ;).

Truly the pioneers... trudging around, robeless, mapping out the first herb maps. Tireless stocking of herb stocks that rarely got over double figures in the herb stores (what are they now? In the thousands?). Yet masterfully deceiving the realms on their fearsomeness. I don't even think they could be Bloodguards and get a decent combat ability back then? Can't remember what the relation was between them and the Vampyrs... i'm sure you'd remember Gorboth!

Ah... the good old days ;).

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 26 Oct 2016 00:20

Yes, in fact, I was one of the Mage/Bloodguard players. It created big problems because Denbarra made it very clear that the Tower was in no way a puppet, or even an ally of the Vampyr Family in Emerald. As a Bloodguard, I would routinely get tells from Mysterion like:

"Party with the Calians in Sparkle. We could use your help."

Denbarra made his intentions known one legendary day in Edoras when Mysterion and a pack of Vamps confronted him on the plains of Rohan. Denbarra offered no response, but simply opened his herb jar and produced about a hundred garlic bulbs. The vamps hadn't really encountered anyone who had prepared so completely for such a moment, and the hit of that many garlic effects all at one time sent them auto-wimpying in panic all over Rohan while Denbarra silently proceeded on his way.

Ah, the memories ...
G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Melarec
Rising Hero

Post by Melarec » 26 Oct 2016 00:34

gorboth wrote:Denbarra made his intentions known one legendary day in Edoras when Mysterion and a pack of Vamps confronted him on the plains of Rohan. Denbarra offered no response, but simply opened his herb jar and produced about a hundred garlic bulbs. The vamps hadn't really encountered anyone who had prepared so completely for such a moment, and the hit of that many garlic effects all at one time sent them auto-wimpying in panic all over Rohan while Denbarra silently proceeded on his way.
I could not help but laugh.
That has to be the funniest thing I've read all day. :D

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 26 Oct 2016 01:53

Dread wrote:pvp
that is well known - this is why I pointed at their ridiculous pve (aka grind) abilities that have no real base in lore nor in any kind of in-game common sense (ability to go fart around and turn any grinding area into newbie zone is basically stupid - big time)

but it turned into good-ol' times story-sharing event mixed with elaborates about MM's application/promotion process....well whatever (not unexpected at all!)

Dread
Great Adventurer

Post by Dread » 26 Oct 2016 02:19

gorboth wrote:...the hit of that many garlic effects all at one time sent them auto-wimpying in panic all over Rohan...
If only we still coded such powerful weaknesses into the imba guild of today... ;)

Yea, it's also funny how you never quite mention the betrayal that a certain vampire friend suffered at Denbarra's hands, and yours. :)

Dread
Great Adventurer

Post by Dread » 26 Oct 2016 02:38

Kvator wrote:
Dread wrote:pvp
that is well known - this is why I pointed at their ridiculous pve (aka grind) abilities that have no real base in lore nor in any kind of in-game common sense (ability to go fart around and turn any grinding area into newbie zone is basically stupid - big time)

but it turned into good-ol' times story-sharing event mixed with elaborates about MM's application/promotion process....well whatever (not unexpected at all!)
Of course it did! No one is EVER going to address the ridiculousness of that guild. Which was kind of my point. No game I have ever played online, and typically my only drive TO play online is to pvp, has had a guild that the only answer for was: "Well, just don't make them mad..." That is so far from balance as to be hilarious.

So, thus my post. Just move on, ignore them. Pretend they don't exist. Find something to excite YOU about the game and engage in that. That is what I am working on. I am trying to find something to get me to reengage and make Genesis interesting for me again. I LOVED being in the original vamp guild. I LOVED the people I played with. I LOVED fighting Mumon and Thyme (even though I couldn't stand her) and A...(something, I'm old, forgive my memory). We pvp'd constantly, and yes, Vamps back then were OP as hell, but we died all the time! Even arguably the most OP guild at the time was still easily beaten with some planning. 1 on 1, most non-team based guilds seemed equal. Were they? Probably not, but it sure seemed a LOT closer than what exists today.

Those days are gone. Will they ever return? Doubtful. People today are far to covetous of their stats and huge brutes. In addition, fighting when you know there is a guild that can just stomp you like a bug with no recourse takes all the excitement away.

Find something to interest you. Hopefully, for your sake, it isn't PVP.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 26 Oct 2016 02:58

Dread wrote:
gorboth wrote:...the hit of that many garlic effects all at one time sent them auto-wimpying in panic all over Rohan...
If only we still coded such powerful weaknesses into the imba guild of today... ;)

Yea, it's also funny how you never quite mention the betrayal that a certain vampire friend suffered at Denbarra's hands, and yours. :)
Depending on which story you mean, I'll leave that up to you to tell. *grin*

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 26 Oct 2016 03:14

Dread wrote: No one is EVER going to address the ridiculousness of that guild. Which was kind of my point. No game I have ever played online, and typically my only drive TO play online is to pvp, has had a guild that the only answer for was: "Well, just don't make them mad..." That is so far from balance as to be hilarious.

So, thus my post. Just move on, ignore them. Pretend they don't exist. Find something to excite YOU about the game and engage in that.
Yeah. Why fix something that's obviously broken and unfair, just ignore the problem and it will go away.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/