Guild quickfix

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Guild quickfix

Post by Cherek » 25 Nov 2014 16:00

I used to sit around here and complain about the wizards not doing anything and they're all incompetent and dont know what's wrong with the game, completely out of touch with it. Oh and corrupted too, only caring about "their" guilds. Well... I kind learned that's far from the truth.

Everyone is very much aware of the problems we have. One major issue is guild balance. That's not something unknown. And it has been known for quite some time.

So why is it not fixed then?

As you're probably aware of Chanele it comes down to basically two things. Motivation and time for someone.

The game has lost players. And wizards too. The guilds that _have_ been fixed lately have been recoded by a few individuals who spent A LOT of time doing it. It's kind of hard to expect the same few people to handle all guilds. To have the time and energy to do it. As it stands now, it's thanks to a handful of people the game is even still running. Adding new content and fixing old problems is also up to the same handful of people.

I mean most players today dont have that much time to spend here. Our most active players usually spend their times letting their chars run around on scripts while working iRL.

We need wizards! We've gotten a few new ones lately, and that's great. But we need MORE!

You've always said yourself you "can't code". Well, so? It's actually not that hard. Why not give it go? Maybe you could even make some quick fixes to stuff you feel is not working like it should? I am serious. Why not?

It's not rocket science. Especially not tweaking existing stuff.

And if you absolutely do not want to give coding a shot, I'd love for someone to help me out with promotional stuff. If Genesis ever is going to become a game filled with people again, and have a living community of wizards and players you all simply have to help out. I have learned by doing that writing angry notes on the forum demanding stuff to happen is totally useless. DO something instead.

For starters you could help me out with web page content. That would be really helpful, once the new page is up I could start actually promoting a little.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 25 Nov 2014 16:22

It seems a brown nose comes with the job, so no thanks.

Jokes aside,
You either balance/recode all or none. If you start such big project you must have crash plan incase you loose resources, in this case quickfixes could be a plan until we have people who can finish the remaining guilds.

Wiz and code it yorself,
I really suck at coding, i panic by just looking at it. However I did spend countless of hours, months, on one of these guilds, I gathered all remaining members and together we evaluated/tested every singel ability extremely well. I compared with other guilds abilities and we made suggestions how we could improve skills to atleast a playable standard, not much happened. I was told wait for recodes....
So much for that effort, it wont happen again.

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 25 Nov 2014 17:38

Chanele - I used the Rangers as one example. Not as a hijack. Not as "the all truth" - just trying to provide some other perspective rather than the singleminded "nothing works - everything sucks and we are victims approaches". I have seen smaller Rangers do the same vs other current big DAs - so despite evolution (size and guildwise) the notion stands.

In addendum SS and PoT certainly are not the same as they were when they opened. Especially the latter have been the target of some of these quickfixes that you mention that again were removed with some of the outfall and extra manpower use that I have mentioned earlier ,

Not saying you are entirely wrong - I would like to see these guilds doing better too. I just do not think quickfixes is the right way to go as Genesis is atm
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 25 Nov 2014 19:04

Chanele wrote:It seems a brown nose comes with the job, so no thanks.

Jokes aside,
You either balance/recode all or none. If you start such big project you must have crash plan incase you loose resources, in this case quickfixes could be a plan until we have people who can finish the remaining guilds.

Wiz and code it yorself,
I really suck at coding, i panic by just looking at it. However I did spend countless of hours, months, on one of these guilds, I gathered all remaining members and together we evaluated/tested every singel ability extremely well. I compared with other guilds abilities and we made suggestions how we could improve skills to atleast a playable standard, not much happened. I was told wait for recodes....
As for the brown nose... you're completely mistaken and misinformed. Perhaps in the past, I dont know? Today all you need is a will to do something for the game.

But it seems like you're upset because you feel people are ignoring your suggestions on purpose, while in reality it simply comes down to there not being enough manpower to fix things. I don't think you realize how few active wizards we actually have? Which is odd, because most show up on the who list... and it's not exactly bustling with wizards is it?:)

I mean sure, who doesn't agree that the guild recodes turned out a much bigger and longer project than anyone expected. But as far as I remember nobody was against it at the time? It's easy to say now it was a too big project etc... And also we had a much bigger and more active wizard population at the time so at the time it was probably not so unrealistic. But what do you do when people leave? Those who are left simply cant do it all by themselves. That is unfortunately the downside to a volunteer workforce.

Okay. So you do not want to learn how to code. Well, like I said, I would love some help with getting the new webpage up and running. Basically I could use a hand in re-writing some text content from the old page. So if you truly want to help out, that would be really helpful. No coding needed whatsoever.

Snowrose
Rising Hero

Post by Snowrose » 25 Nov 2014 22:57

as been mentioned most of the "game breaking" issues latly have really not been an issue of balance as much as very high players picking on very small players. This can never be fixed by a hot fox or code rebalence. Also attempts to avenge a player that has rage quit is kind of fruitless.

that being said Game balence and quick fixes will attract higher level players to old guilds. players that will be active and team with others. This might discourage people who want an easy kill from picking on said guilds. i never say All or nothing as that typically is like saying dont give me anything. Every tiny fix counts even if its just making sure specials work properly in all areas or that assets like potions dont decay when we log out. Even announcing stuff is happening might attract people.

(Rangers since it was mentioned so often) does seem to attract a lot of low level players and true newbies because it is a very well known attractive genre especially with recent movies. also rangers in general is a very popular class in a lot of games because non middle earth fans think rangers will be like wow hunters or d&d archer rangers or drittzt. I have had to turn away a few drow applicants. of course rangers in genisis is nothing like the two bladed or pet commanding ranger of other games.

As far as new wizards go part of the issue with the argument if you dont like it fix it. is not the best as new wizards even wizards with a background in programming will need to be trained, and are much more likely to create unbalenced or broken code just due to newness to LPC. not to mention the people needed for QC and testing of the new code. oh yeah and what about the people needed to interprit and fix all the new code after the new wizard quits
in frustration or goes idle. Also most new wizards just make new areas you need experinced guys to do something as high profile as a full recode.

so in summery, Hot fixes (if people are willing) even tiny ones especially on guilds that get a lot of new player (people that have been playing less than 5 years) applicants. will probibly be very benificial to genesis as a whole. As they will attact higher level/ Vetren players to guilds that need them who can team and help train the younger players so they are less likly to ragequit when PK happens.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 26 Nov 2014 01:52

Cherek wrote:
Chanele wrote:It seems a brown nose comes with the job, so no thanks.

Jokes aside,

Wiz and code it yorself,
As for the brown nose... you're completely mistaken and misinformed. Perhaps in the past, I dont know? Today all you need is a will to do something for the game.

But it seems like you're upset because you feel people are ignoring your suggestions on purpose, while in reality it simply comes down to there not being enough manpower to fix things. I don't think you realize how few active wizards we actually have? Which is odd, because most show up on the who list... and it's not exactly bustling with wizards is it?:)

I mean sure, who doesn't agree that the guild recodes turned out a much bigger and longer project than anyone expected. But as far as I remember nobody was against it at the time? It's easy to say now it was a too big project etc... And also we had a much bigger and more active wizard population at the time so at the time it was probably not so unrealistic. But what do you do when people leave? Those who are left simply cant do it all by themselves. That is unfortunately the downside to a volunteer workforce.

Okay. So you do not want to learn how to code. Well, like I said, I would love some help with getting the new webpage up and running. Basically I could use a hand in re-writing some text content from the old page. So if you truly want to help out, that would be really helpful. No coding needed whatsoever.
Theres been quite a few of us that have become wizards though. And while some can flourish under the RTFM creed. I know at least three of us that probably would still be coding had someone been around to teach.

Its frustrating, very much so. Petros was a godsend at the time but he had his own things and three nagging newbie wizards wasnt on his priority list.

Furthermore the amount of actual time it would take to learn and be able to code with the way the system is, if it hasnt changed from RTFM.... at least a year if not more of solid trial and error to maybe be decent enough to code something on the magnitude of recodes.

Its not as easy as just... becoming a wizard like you say.

Far as promotion goes as Genesis stands its on par with a game in the late alpha/beta stage. Its really hard to promote and keep players when they learn the game is unfinished and has been in the same state since... whenever we first started recodes.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 26 Nov 2014 12:16

Greneth: Yes it is true there are generally not enough people around to teach how to code LPC, and if so mostly sporadically. I never said it was _easy_ but sometimes I think people are extremely daunted too. Perhaps too much. Most people with at least some coding experience can grasp the basics by looking at example code. And if you don't know how to code there are tons of very helpful tools online these days, like codeacademy.com for example, that will teach you quite a lot pretty quick. But sure, you'll need to spend a lot of time on your own figuring things out too, which is far from perfect. Many wizards do not stay for long but the more that tries the more will eventually make it, which in turn will lead to a more active wizard community, that will in turn lead to more help for new wizards. We cant do much more than try to convince people to give wizzing a go. Some will fail, but a few might actually enjoy it and become a valuable and productive wizard.

As for promotion. Well we can only sell what we have. I think Genesis still has more than enough to offer to attract the pretty small amount of players we need. We do get a new player now and than that stays, even without promotion. So I definitely think it can work, and I think if I can manage to prove that perhaps more people will be interested in helping out.:)

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 26 Nov 2014 12:50

have my IT open the ports and allow gaming content again and I should be back ... just an example
or just make a Gen app playable 100% from FB

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 26 Nov 2014 13:32

Laurel wrote:have my IT open the ports and allow gaming content again and I should be back ... just an example
It's not 100% playable from FB? Please elaborate.

Manglor
Rising Hero

Post by Manglor » 26 Nov 2014 13:50

Cherek wrote:
Laurel wrote:have my IT open the ports and allow gaming content again and I should be back ... just an example
It's not 100% playable from FB? Please elaborate.
If you can still use the client from FB, it is totally playable. Brought me back to the game.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/