Ranger guild recode ...

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Ranger guild recode ...

Post by gorboth » 20 Apr 2015 18:40

Please stay on topic. Further posts about MM will be deleted.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 20 Apr 2015 18:57

gorboth wrote:Please stay on topic. Further posts about MM will be deleted.

G.
Topic is recode of rangers. Comparing them with another guild within the same domain and that happened to be their enemies is not staying on topic?
I understand that they were exclusive dunedains in the books but at least half if not more of the officers for the last 10(?) years has been elves. You suggest a change that would mean that any elf or other race that wants to be an officer have to die and change race to human. I wanted to point towards another guild that has even stronger reasons to only accept humans.

But of course that was off topic.

Aristos
Veteran

Post by Aristos » 20 Apr 2015 19:02

Arcon wrote:
gorboth wrote:Please stay on topic. Further posts about MM will be deleted.

G.
Topic is recode of rangers. Comparing them with another guild within the same domain and that happened to be their enemies is not staying on topic?
I understand that they were exclusive dunedains in the books but at least half if not more of the officers for the last 10(?) years has been elves. You suggest a change that would mean that any elf or other race that wants to be an officer have to die and change race to human. I wanted to point towards another guild that has even stronger reasons to only accept humans.

But of course that was off topic.
He has voiced his opinion on the matter some time ago:

https://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewt ... gul#p21463

Maybe opening a new thread with a new topic would make for a more fitting place to discuss the Dunadain?

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 20 Apr 2015 19:11

Thanks Kas ... now, I really mean it. No more MM posts here.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Iris
Beginner

Post by Iris » 21 Apr 2015 11:58

Making the officers from just humans?? I thought we were going to talk about the new abilities of rangers ( though i wouldnt want to talk about them in fron of everyone *chuckles*) i thought recoding rangers is more than just putting in some strict rules.

Yes, rangers are about Dunedains and well yes they are humans but we may think that time has changed some in the rangers too. Yes middle earth is all about LOTR but as long as an elf who has adopted the idea of being a real good ranger, there is no need to prevent them from being officers. Im sure Aragorn wouldnt like that because rangers protect the good and free in middle earth, they dont give priority to any race.

I would be sad if this gets changed.
If animals believed in god, the devil would look like a human being.

OgreToyBoy
Champion

Post by OgreToyBoy » 21 Apr 2015 12:06

So Thanar are getting some competition :)

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 21 Apr 2015 12:19

On regards of Dunedains,

Even if we follow the lore strictly there is room for interpretation. Elladan and Elrohir, Elronds twin sons, fought along side both Aragorn and his father Arathorn II which in some sense made them Rangers. They also accompanied Halbarad on missions. This should open up for more possibilities with the elven kin.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 21 Apr 2015 12:52

All im gonna say on the matter of the races is this... if youre going to basically restrict the guild to the human race then you really need to take into account the 0 stat bonus when you start checking guild abilities and fixing things.

Im not against humans only for officers because i see what youre trying to do. But just remember that you're not only removing choices like the Noldor, but several layman as well. And if such harsh restrictions will be placed then the powers had better reflect that. You can say youre not forcing anything but everyone strives for officer positions. No one joins with the mindset of "I love just being a grunt who can be told what to do!"

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 21 Apr 2015 13:12

Once again - last RoI human officer was decades ago. I don't keep track of RoN - Prokop (non-human?) can tell you more.
This wasn't because there was choice. More often than not there were no humans around in Rangers.

Also - hobbits and gnomes are already one of the most guild restricted races in Gen. Go even further and IF the only choice for Officer in Rangers are for example hobbit and gnome ... they will need to race-change for that now?
Also:
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Knight_of_Gondor

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 21 Apr 2015 13:25

Allowing only human officer in rangers, or rather dunedain only is straight in line with the theme rp of ME. Problem is people mostly want rp in the terms of "I want this character that is so and so", eg like kaz the minotaur drizzt and so on. While there is a lot of difference between what people call rp, just the simple fact that making hard core/code restrictions in game limits the players options thus making the game more restricting is what makes me opposed.

I truly understand the theme feel and agree it would be more " true ", but I don't need the game to be correct or realistic in many ways :-)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/