Changes to the Dunadain

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Aristos
Veteran

Changes to the Dunadain

Post by Aristos » 20 Apr 2015 19:09

Coming from the Ranger Recode thread:

I think the Dunadain does need some changes, yes. Some questions arise, though:

1. Will all houses be good, then? Does it mean that the guild will change to a goodie one since the only ones who would benefit from being of a house are rangers?

2. Free to join? Doesn't make much sense. It would damage roleplay. How about a hard-coded "puzzle-to-join" solution? For example, earning your way by proving to know your lore not only for advancement, but also as a requirement to join.

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Changes to the Dunadain

Post by gorboth » 20 Apr 2015 19:16

It was I, years ago, who moved the Houses of the Dunedain out of the 5th circle of Minas Tirith and relocated them to Sparkle. At the time, I was working toward the interest of equalizing coder bias in good vs. evil roleplay. Too many things in Gondor, especially, were unfriendly toward evil players, and I figured the Dunedain guild might as well be open grounds for whatever roleplay people wanted to come up with, good or evil. What I didn't anticipate was the way in which houses would be "captured" by various factions and then held with the intention of securing as much of the Dunedain houses as possible for one side or the other. This was never my goal.

I don't like that model very much, and it feels quite wrong for Tolkien. Yes, there were Black Numenoreans, but they certainly wouldn't be intermingling with defenders of the West in a place like Pelargir. So, the roleplay has gotten pretty wrong.

I've considered relocating the guild back to MT and making it good only, yes. But this would mean a Black Numenorean guild would be needed.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Leia
Wizard

Post by Leia » 20 Apr 2015 19:20

gorboth wrote:It was I, years ago, who moved the Houses of the Dunedain out of the 5th circle of Minas Tirith and relocated them to Sparkle. At the time, I was working toward the interest of equalizing coder bias in good vs. evil roleplay. Too many things in Gondor, especially, were unfriendly toward evil players, and I figured the Dunedain guild might as well be open grounds for whatever roleplay people wanted to come up with, good or evil. What I didn't anticipate was the way in which houses would be "captured" by various factions and then held with the intention of securing as much of the Dunedain houses as possible for one side or the other. This was never my goal.

I don't like that model very much, and it feels quite wrong for Tolkien. Yes, there were Black Numenoreans, but they certainly wouldn't be intermingling with defenders of the West in a place like Pelargir. So, the roleplay has gotten pretty wrong.

I've considered relocating the guild back to MT and making it good only, yes. But this would mean a Black Numenorean guild would be needed.

G.
Just such a guild was in the works for awhile. I remember Finwe, myself, and Altrus working on it for quite awhile. I think Tigerlily and Toby may have helped too?

Perhaps you can dredge up the old code. It's in Gondor's domain somewhere.

Mortis

Post by Mortis » 21 Apr 2015 02:54

gorboth wrote:It was I, years ago, who moved the Houses of the Dunedain out of the 5th circle of Minas Tirith and relocated them to Sparkle. At the time, I was working toward the interest of equalizing coder bias in good vs. evil roleplay. Too many things in Gondor, especially, were unfriendly toward evil players, and I figured the Dunedain guild might as well be open grounds for whatever roleplay people wanted to come up with, good or evil. What I didn't anticipate was the way in which houses would be "captured" by various factions and then held with the intention of securing as much of the Dunedain houses as possible for one side or the other. This was never my goal.
Capturing a resource from another faction and battling for more of that resource. Sounds like you achieved increased player interaction and pvp.

Isn't facilitating more death-related player interaction precisely your goal in the mortal levels thread? How is it a mistake here?

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 21 Apr 2015 12:41

Mortis wrote:
Capturing a resource from another faction and battling for more of that resource. Sounds like you achieved increased player interaction and pvp.

Isn't facilitating more death-related player interaction precisely your goal in the mortal levels thread? How is it a mistake here?
Not sure where you got interaction or pvp out of that... because what ive seen happen for years is the lord titles being held by certain people or factions only allowing friends in or the lord logging in once every week. The house was effectively "Captured".

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 21 Apr 2015 13:18

Greneth wrote:what ive seen happen for years is the lord titles being held by certain people or factions only allowing friends in or the lord logging in once every week. The house was effectively "Captured".
Oh I'd say that's true for several OCC and layman guilds!

Kvator
Champion

Post by Kvator » 21 Apr 2015 13:33

laymans..naaah, occ for sure ;)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/