Herald of Valar concern

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Elemmiire
Beginner

Herald of Valar concern

Post by Elemmiire » 02 Apr 2016 11:05

Hi,

I'm in no position to discuss for I never did join it so far. But I have an idea of Ranger-Herald-Blacksmith-Noldor for thematic aspect.
Then I ask for some wisdom and found out the combo is like a "horse joke" idea for the damage will be so suck and the spells are duplicate and can't cast simultaneously, including wearing a white-hooded robe and ranger cloak at same time, its odd !
Perhaps wizies can came up with some damage spells toward evil creature to make the combo possible ? Doesn't have to be as powerful like Elemental but atleast provide something enough so the weakness can be endure in the age of power.

Elemmiire

Draugor
Myth

Re: Herald of Valar concern

Post by Draugor » 02 May 2016 20:29

Elemmiire wrote:Hi,

I'm in no position to discuss for I never did join it so far. But I have an idea of Ranger-Herald-Blacksmith-Noldor for thematic aspect.
Then I ask for some wisdom and found out the combo is like a "horse joke" idea for the damage will be so suck and the spells are duplicate and can't cast simultaneously, including wearing a white-hooded robe and ranger cloak at same time, its odd !
Perhaps wizies can came up with some damage spells toward evil creature to make the combo possible ? Doesn't have to be as powerful like Elemental but atleast provide something enough so the weakness can be endure in the age of power.

Elemmiire

Quite certain that they will solve this once the recodes of the rangers etc becomes a reality, I think Varian has some crazy idea about bazookas and whatnot O_O

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 May 2016 18:21

Well, this is true about many guilds, some guild combinations are better than others, and some abilities overlap. I think that is kind of unavoidable, and finding the best combination is of course part of the game too. Best case scenario is of course when a good RP combo also is a good power-combo, which perhaps is not the case with Rangers+Valar? I honestly dont have player experience with either so I couldn't tell.

As for recodes, there's currently no planned recode of the Rangers, and any recode or change to the Valars is not near either. Nerull has expressed some ideas about both Necros and Valars, but as most of you know he's main work is Ravenloft currently, so, for the foreseeable all those guilds will probably remain as they are. As always, things can change quickly should a motivated and skilled wizard surface.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 03 May 2016 20:27

Cherek wrote:I honestly dont have player experience with either so I couldn't tell.
Lies!

On topic:
Overlap in skills might be something you have to accept but guild game mechanics that don't work together sounds like a flaw in my ears.

Elemmiire
Beginner

Post by Elemmiire » 04 May 2016 05:53

I just want to delete the topic, cant find the button so I "bump topic" and hope it will vanish :lol:

On topic: Except for some known bugs, I really think both guild dont really need heavy recode, just a bit power-up for skills and guild combo may make up the day ( I dont have much experience so most likely it will be wrong )

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 04 May 2016 16:38

Chanele wrote:
Cherek wrote:I honestly dont have player experience with either so I couldn't tell.
Lies!

On topic:
Overlap in skills might be something you have to accept but guild game mechanics that don't work together sounds like a flaw in my ears.
No that's not a lie, I havent tried either guild as a player.

What game mechanics don't work together? You cant wear both robes? Or something else?

I dont think any guilds allow casting of different spells simultaneously? Or do they? If so perhaps that flaw is in the other guilds...?

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 04 May 2016 20:53

Cherek wrote:

"Cherek Whiteguard, the Arena Overseer of the Athasian Gladiators and Messenger of the Valar, champion, male human."
That was copied from the death of Huan log, just saying.

Back to topic:
I'm speaking of guild abilities that overlap in general and my point is I think abilities that has the same effect should be added not replace or neglect the effect of the secondary ability.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 05 May 2016 00:34

Chanele wrote:
Cherek wrote:

"Cherek Whiteguard, the Arena Overseer of the Athasian Gladiators and Messenger of the Valar, champion, male human."
That was copied from the death of Huan log, just saying.

Back to topic:
I'm speaking of guild abilities that overlap in general and my point is I think abilities that has the same effect should be added not replace or neglect the effect of the secondary ability.
*blink*

How about that. Well it's not a lie if you truly believe you have never been a Valar. Was it wizday or something?:) I am so old now I barely remember what I did last week so... not surprising I dont remember this...

About the topic: Well yeah, you're probably right. In our 25 year old game it's probably likely such things have not always been taken into account when designing our guilds, although personally I can't think of any abilities that replace or neglect other abilities... do you have an example?

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 31 Oct 2016 05:30

If I may chip in to this discussion...

I find it interesting because many times I've been wanting to create this "Pure ME" character of sorts (be it Noldor or Dunedain), with Heralds of the Valar as my layman guild and Rangers as my occupational one. At various stages of different lives I lived in Genesis I've been a member of most guilds there are (I believe I'm missing 3 or 4 for the complete set) so I'm talking from experience here.

First of all, Rangers, despite being one of the most amazing guilds you could join for many reasons, are pretty much a joke in modern Genesis. They are full of supportive skills and abilities but nothing that could be considered a "main" thing that can carry your character through the perils of the world. They're more like a glorified layman guild when it comes to skills/spells/specials and while decent in teams you can't really do anything solo without the aid of an offensive layman guild (ever wondered why 99% of Rangers are Blademasters of Militia?). It might've been fine in the past, before heavy power creep came in, but in the modern days this concept is pretty much obsolete since you can't do much without some offensive power, which you won't find in the Rangers.

Anyway, back to Heralds, which have their own flaws - spells do little, cost a lot of mana and prevent you from using your special attacks so any potential gain is negated by the heavy costs. Now, add to that the fact that Heralds and Rangers have several spells that are pretty much the same (with Ranger versions being a bit more powerful obviously) and you end up in this conundrum where as a Ranger/Herald you're a member of two supportive guilds with duplicate functionality and very little impact, making you regret your RP choices instantly.

Just don't get me wrong. I think that both Rangers and Heralds are amazing guilds. I like them both very much, just not together. I'm also disillusioned when it comes to the flaws of those guilds, which I've pointed out above. I think both of them could be made workable with just minor adjustments. Some things that come to mind:
1. Shift Ranger focus from support to combat a bit more (better combat skills, perhaps another special that actually does some damage), you could take away their spells for example and make them work with potions alone.
2. Herald spells need some serious looking at (adjusted costs/effects) and perhaps some breath of fresh air in their spell department, like enchanting your weapon with the holy flame that does extra damage to evil/undead or something. As it is, some of their spells are either completely useless, simply not worth it or straight out OP (one spell everyone knows about).

If you compare those guilds to their evil counterparts (AA which have better sneaking/hiding than Rangers and much better combat capabilities to boost, or Necromancers which are pretty high on the power spectrum) they fall short and look rather pale.

And speaking of a spell problem many guilds have: Having to pay tax for a spell that summons a messenger that doesn't work most of the time is preposterous.

All of the above is just my personal, totally biased opinion from the player perspective and has nothing to do with the current wizard stance or policy of course.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 31 Oct 2016 06:27

Zhar wrote: If you compare those guilds to their evil counterparts (AA which have better sneaking/hiding than Rangers and much better combat capabilities to boost, or Necromancers which are pretty high on the power spectrum) they fall short and look rather pale.
Lets give AA buggy sneak raising cloaks that cover exactly everything too :P

Also, necromancers do NOT fall high on any spectrum as they have 1 REALLY usefull (runeshield) and a few sorta nifty spells :P Darkvision is hard to come by, aye, but darkness is easy to negate. Planetravel is nifty but takes a loooooong time to cast.

The valars need a recode, no doubt, that idiotic peace spell needs a serious looking at first of all. Mebbe make it resistable? :P Apprentices preventing myths from attacking is just silly and should and should be conquerable.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/