The new Minstrel upgrade.

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Arman
Wizard

Re: The new Minstrel upgrade.

Post by Arman » 11 May 2018 04:34

A call out to Minstrels, I'd like your insights in to your guild of choice.

Right now the guild is in a parlous state. Under the new magic system it isn't really playable. Fixing it isn't an option... the code is old and ugly, so the only options really for it is closing or re-coding from scratch.

Lucius, who is custodian of Terel, has offered to allow me to re-code it. IF I DID, what parts would you want to keep? What parts would you want to kill? What features would you like to see included? And any thoughts on thematics?

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 11 May 2018 04:55

Arman wrote:A call out to Minstrels, I'd like your insights in to your guild of choice.

Right now the guild is in a parlous state. Under the new magic system it isn't really playable. Fixing it isn't an option... the code is old and ugly, so the only options really for it is closing or re-coding from scratch.

Lucius, who is custodian of Terel, has offered to allow me to re-code it. IF I DID, what parts would you want to keep? What parts would you want to kill? What features would you like to see included? And any thoughts on thematics?

While not a minstrel myself, I would want to see it fit the D&D bard mold.
Be team buffers, singing songs to bolster friends et cetra,.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Greneth
Wizard

Post by Greneth » 11 May 2018 05:52

Arman wrote:A call out to Minstrels, I'd like your insights in to your guild of choice.

A true Support/Team Role would be nice to see for a change.

You should get Zillian to write up some limericks for the songs.

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 11 May 2018 10:56

There already was a topic on this. Perhaps you might find something helpful there.

https://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewt ... t=minstrel

And then there is your post:
Britanica was working on an absolutely FANTASTIC recode of the Minstrels back when I started on the SoHM... where minstrels could perform their mundane songs throughout the Donut at various locations. There would be a Genesis Top 100, where Minstrels achievement ranks would be influenced by how many of their songs were in the top 100... and the power of their performance auras would be influenced by their fame. What he had in mind would have created true bardmanship gameplay. Sadly, he lost motivation to work on it and I haven't seen him around in a while.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 12 May 2018 04:02

Rincon wrote:There already was a topic on this. Perhaps you might find something helpful there.

https://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewt ... t=minstrel

And then there is your post:
Britanica was working on an absolutely FANTASTIC recode of the Minstrels back when I started on the SoHM... where minstrels could perform their mundane songs throughout the Donut at various locations. There would be a Genesis Top 100, where Minstrels achievement ranks would be influenced by how many of their songs were in the top 100... and the power of their performance auras would be influenced by their fame. What he had in mind would have created true bardmanship gameplay. Sadly, he lost motivation to work on it and I haven't seen him around in a while.
Yeah some thematic concepts were really good. I liked some of the thematic new concepts like top 100, performer reputation, and stuff like that.

Having said that it does look like what he proposed was more a ranger/rogue class than a cleric layman class... at least the proposed skills. And the abilities that more excite the player base are new abilities - like team buffing, rather than transitioning existing powers over. All these things could be considered as part of a new bardic guild rather than trying to shoehorn into the existing minstrels. Which makes me wonder why keep the existing Minstrels at all? What is it that the players like about the existing guild that would warrant transitioning?

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 12 May 2018 15:55

Arman wrote:What is it that the players like about the existing guild that would warrant transitioning?
Skills are pretty useless except for 2 songs.
Soothe (before the latest change) was useful in some combat situations.
By helping herb healing and could turn a fight the Minstrels way.
It was not very powerful at all, but could still turn the tide in some fights.

But the main and for me only reason is PAX.
For a solo player PAX is fantastic, if he wants to fight groups.

So in my opinion, rather the opposite than the 'bardic' view of beeing a great team mate helping a team with cool buffs, the current skill(s) are better for a single player rather than a team.
PAX is pretty useless (not completely if you train the usage) in a team, so the best song by far is not a team song.

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 12 May 2018 18:25

what he proposed was more a ranger/rogue class than a cleric layman class
Why not have it both ways? Depending on the chosen Muse a player can become a ranger/rogue bard or a clerical minstrel.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 13 May 2018 13:15

Mim wrote:
Arman wrote:What is it that the players like about the existing guild that would warrant transitioning?
Skills are pretty useless except for 2 songs.
Soothe (before the latest change) was useful in some combat situations.
By helping herb healing and could turn a fight the Minstrels way.
It was not very powerful at all, but could still turn the tide in some fights.

But the main and for me only reason is PAX.
For a solo player PAX is fantastic, if he wants to fight groups.

So in my opinion, rather the opposite than the 'bardic' view of beeing a great team mate helping a team with cool buffs, the current skill(s) are better for a single player rather than a team.
PAX is pretty useless (not completely if you train the usage) in a team, so the best song by far is not a team song.
We are phasing out 'stop fight' spells. They were deliberately excluded from the new magic system. Heralds won't have it with their recode, leaving just the Minstrels with that ability. Good to know Mim it is the most valuable spell of the Minstrels... mind doesn't say much for the rest of your abilities!

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 13 May 2018 13:16

Rincon wrote:
what he proposed was more a ranger/rogue class than a cleric layman class
Why not have it both ways? Depending on the chosen Muse a player can become a ranger/rogue bard or a clerical minstrel.
Anything is possible... it is just a question of how much work we want to put in to the redesign/recode.

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 13 May 2018 20:39

Arman wrote: We are phasing out 'stop fight' spells.
In the case of phasing out PAX from Minstrels I do belive the rest of the current songs really need a boost for the guild to be worthwile.
A healing song (weak and mana consuming), a song that gives light temporary in one room (almost useless), a song that raise fatigue (somewhat useful), a damage song (low damage with a very high mana cost) and a song that raises disciplin (useless) will not attract many players.

It's somewhat sad as the consept is very appealing.
The guildhall is nice and the different muses and instruments could be used to differ players within the guild from one another, which is not how they are today.

Genesis without Minstrels would be a game with one less feature.
I personally hope the guild could live on one way or the other.

The RP aspect is not included in the text above.
I assume there might be those players who enjoy that part of the guild.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/