Arman and Ranger Recode

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Arman
Wizard

Re: Arman and Ranger Recode

Post by Arman » 22 Jul 2019 00:41

Draugor wrote:Speaking of this, whats up? :o
Pretty much same status as my last update. Their specials need to be standardised... Carnak created a prototype but it needs to be tested... and he has a bit of wanderlust at the moment so hasn't been working at the forge of late ;).

Global changes to skills were made to rogue classes to help facilitate the recode... but based on how their ranger spell system works I am loath to re-skill them until they are ready to transition to the standardised magic system.

So still lots to do.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 22 Jul 2019 09:11

Arman wrote:
Draugor wrote:Speaking of this, whats up? :o
Pretty much same status as my last update. Their specials need to be standardised... Carnak created a prototype but it needs to be tested... and he has a bit of wanderlust at the moment so hasn't been working at the forge of late ;).

Global changes to skills were made to rogue classes to help facilitate the recode... but based on how their ranger spell system works I am loath to re-skill them until they are ready to transition to the standardised magic system.

So still lots to do.
Aaah nice, I aint one but they deserve a recode, just wanted to know if it was still in the works :o
Aint it easier to just make a new guild and replace it? I heard the code is a goddamn nightmare

Felagund
Beginner

Post by Felagund » 28 Jan 2021 15:14

Two years has passed uneventfully. There was no ranger recode implemented and from what I hear unofficially, the project has been abandoned. Could someone confirm or deny? What is a realistic term of recode, if it is even planned? Come on, guys, all of us know the code is difficult and needs to be completely rewritten. It's an old news. Is there anyone capable and willing to rewrite it? If not, I think we deserve an honest answer at least.

Rangers is the only guild that has their combat special cancelled both by water (why?) and arbitrary decisions of the wizards (among others, Jadestone cannot be brawled). It must be changed, as it goes against the balance of the game.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 28 Jan 2021 15:41

There is no ongoing ranger recode project right now. There has been many attempts in the past, but to my knowledge not many have gotten very far. Actually, many haven't gotten past the idea stage, but Arman can perhaps provide more details, as he has been more involved in the recent attempts. It's possible there has been more groundwork than I know of, but regardless, a ranger recode does not feel very close right now...

I think we wizards (myself included) have for a long time also been a little... well... too hopeful? We always say that we really want to recode the rangers, and that they should be recoded, etc, which is true, and of course gives hope to players. I think everyone has had very good intentions as well, wanting to give players hope, but, I think at some point it starts working the other way. If we continue give you hope, but nothing happens, hope turns into hopelessness...

So... you asked for 100% honesty, here it is:

As I have mentioned in other threads, I think a good way of thinking for all players is to try not to "wait" for updates, recodes, new guilds, etc. I mean, questions about the ranger recode have been asked for at least 10-15 years now... that's a long time. At this point, I think it's better to simply play the current ranger guild as it is today, and have as fun as you can with it as it is. Or, choose another guild. Don't expect it will be recoded anytime soon, and if it one day is recoded, see it as a bonus.

Rache
Adventurer

Post by Rache » 29 Jan 2021 03:00

Victory declared, Cherek emerges as long-serving, well-hidden Morgul spy.

Hail Melkor!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 29 Jan 2021 13:21

Rache: Let's wait until after the magic ner... err, recode before you declare victory.

(I am JOKING, unless that was unclear)

varian
Wizard

Post by varian » 29 Jan 2021 16:36

In the past couple months since I was made the Liege of Gondor/Shire, I have had several projects and evaluations going on within the domain.

The Rangers are one of these evaluations. There are two points relevant to this:

1: There is currently no recode actively underway.

2: One of my highest priorities is to have a Ranger recode completed.

I will not be announcing when the recode is actively underway. I will also not be giving any timelines about when it would be done by. I am not interested in teasing people along by promising on what is a MASSIVE project that I know I am unable to personally complete unaided. I am also not interested in having it done half-assed.

So... if it gets done, there isn't going to be a lot of notice. Nor am I going to spend a bunch of time talking about it or debating it in public.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 29 Jan 2021 17:59

Thank you, that's actually quite kind.

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 29 Jan 2021 19:44

Cherek wrote:
28 Jan 2021 15:41
There is no ongoing ranger recode project right now. There has been many attempts in the past, but to my knowledge not many have gotten very far. Actually, many haven't gotten past the idea stage, but Arman can perhaps provide more details, as he has been more involved in the recent attempts. It's possible there has been more groundwork than I know of, but regardless, a ranger recode does not feel very close right now...

I think we wizards (myself included) have for a long time also been a little... well... too hopeful? We always say that we really want to recode the rangers, and that they should be recoded, etc, which is true, and of course gives hope to players. I think everyone has had very good intentions as well, wanting to give players hope, but, I think at some point it starts working the other way. If we continue give you hope, but nothing happens, hope turns into hopelessness...

So... you asked for 100% honesty, here it is:

As I have mentioned in other threads, I think a good way of thinking for all players is to try not to "wait" for updates, recodes, new guilds, etc. I mean, questions about the ranger recode have been asked for at least 10-15 years now... that's a long time. At this point, I think it's better to simply play the current ranger guild as it is today, and have as fun as you can with it as it is. Or, choose another guild. Don't expect it will be recoded anytime soon, and if it one day is recoded, see it as a bonus.
You've missed the point of hopelessness a while back. Many hopeless players left. Left the guild, left the character, left the game... It's a shame we try to attract new players and do so little to make some the old ones want to stay. Even more shame to discourage them further, if you ask me.

That being said, we'll just keep waiting. Varian's words sound promising. Looking forward to the "bonus" some day. :)
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 29 Jan 2021 21:28

Redblade: I understand my reply was not what you wanted to hear, but it was the truth. I get that you are frustrated, but to say we only focus on new players isn't really fair I think. We've added new guilds, grinding areas, events, a new decay system and all sorts of things, and most of it has been improvements that mainly affected established players. Just look at the State of the Donut posts for the last couple of years.

Not sure what you meant about discouraging players further. In what way to we discourage players?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/