Arman and Ranger Recode

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Drazson
Titan

Re: Arman and Ranger Recode

Post by Drazson » 29 Jan 2021 23:38

The game's a grinder, most people prefer herbs over healers (justifiably) and damage is king. The guild has myriads of neat thingies and options that are entirely useless to the core gameplay.

AoB sees them as infinitely overpowered last time I delved into reading some related comments, which is interesting to me since I left the guild semi-unable to casually farm wights due to skipping the almost required BM layman (you are truly a wonder!) and a mortal level later with a new occ (and no layman) I farmed dragons. It is what it is, right?

In my opinion it might be a good idea for Rangers to start rejecting newer players cause it is very probable it will make them quit the game out of sheer powerlessness, especially now with discord helping them realize what's what. Maybe start taking heroes, I mean.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 29 Jan 2021 23:57

varian wrote:
29 Jan 2021 16:36
In the past couple months since I was made the Liege of Gondor/Shire, I have had several projects and evaluations going on within the domain.

The Rangers are one of these evaluations. There are two points relevant to this:

1: There is currently no recode actively underway.

2: One of my highest priorities is to have a Ranger recode completed.

I will not be announcing when the recode is actively underway. I will also not be giving any timelines about when it would be done by. I am not interested in teasing people along by promising on what is a MASSIVE project that I know I am unable to personally complete unaided. I am also not interested in having it done half-assed.

So... if it gets done, there isn't going to be a lot of notice. Nor am I going to spend a bunch of time talking about it or debating it in public.
I think this is a good idea.
I got really burned out after years of waiting, having the hopes up by an announced recode and then someone pulled the rug on me again...

I left the game for years, missed the golden EQ era, for that reason... Keep it in the shadows until you actually got something to present.

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 30 Jan 2021 01:14

Cherek wrote:
29 Jan 2021 21:28
Redblade: I understand my reply was not what you wanted to hear, but it was the truth. I get that you are frustrated, but to say we only focus on new players isn't really fair I think. We've added new guilds, grinding areas, events, a new decay system and all sorts of things, and most of it has been improvements that mainly affected established players. Just look at the State of the Donut posts for the last couple of years.

Not sure what you meant about discouraging players further. In what way to we discourage players?

Ah, I didn't say you discourage all players nor that you're not doing a ton of great work. You are :) I appreciate that. I am having tons of fun on other characters enjoying all those new and old additions. My sentence has a "some" in it, I must say that I solely meant some players, even if only some Rangers, I still think that's a shame. I think it's sad if even one of all those new players makes it to a Ranger and then has to undergo the same things that can frustrate me. That's all I meant.

As to what further discourages me, I don't think that's for the forums. If you want to hear my frustrations of the past months well... I'll share them with you. Freely send me a message here, in game... :) Bear in mind I never meant to diminish nor refuse to see all the good work being done on Genesis. I can however also give a view of how crapy playing a Ranger can get. And I think that is just purely sad, given that it's a guild with awesome theme and awesome people (yes, those are my opinions). No flames :)
Drazson wrote:
29 Jan 2021 23:38
The game's a grinder, most people prefer herbs over healers (justifiably) and damage is king. The guild has myriads of neat thingies and options that are entirely useless to the core gameplay.

AoB sees them as infinitely overpowered last time I delved into reading some related comments, which is interesting to me since I left the guild semi-unable to casually farm wights due to skipping the almost required BM layman (you are truly a wonder!) and a mortal level later with a new occ (and no layman) I farmed dragons. It is what it is, right?

In my opinion it might be a good idea for Rangers to start rejecting newer players cause it is very probable it will make them quit the game out of sheer powerlessness, especially now with discord helping them realize what's what. Maybe start taking heroes, I mean.
Rangers don't take in newbies. We have a size limit. That's not a new thing :) The size limit continues to grow, it has increased twice since I am a Ranger (which ain't that long).
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

Rache
Adventurer

Post by Rache » 30 Jan 2021 01:57

Cherek wrote:
29 Jan 2021 13:21
Rache: Let's wait until after the magic ner... err, recode before you declare victory.
You know I love you, but that was a low blow :|

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 31 Jan 2021 02:36

Redblade: Ah, I thought you meant we were discouraging players by not doing anything for older players. I misunderstood. Well, I get that the situation is discouraging to ranger players. I would have loved to see a ranger recode 10 years ago too. But... well... this is, as you know, the reality of playing a volunteer-run game... I too hope it does happen one day.

zizuph
Veteran

Post by zizuph » 28 Nov 2021 07:27

Cherek wrote:
31 Jan 2021 02:36
Redblade: Ah, I thought you meant we were discouraging players by not doing anything for older players. I misunderstood. Well, I get that the situation is discouraging to ranger players. I would have loved to see a ranger recode 10 years ago too. But... well... this is, as you know, the reality of playing a volunteer-run game... I too hope it does happen one day.
I have volunteered to take this on, using Varian's grand vision for the guild as the core design. This is long overdue, and I look forwards to bringing the Rangers up to today's guild standards. I have been given the green light to move forwards with my proposal, and have started implementation.
Rache wrote:
30 Jan 2021 01:57
Cherek wrote:
29 Jan 2021 13:21
Rache: Let's wait until after the magic ner... err, recode before you declare victory.
You know I love you, but that was a low blow :|
I continue working with Arman on the magic ner... err, recode at the same time.

qwertheangmarim
Adventurer

Post by qwertheangmarim » 31 May 2022 03:20

sneak and hide mechanics -suck-
they don't scale to awareness at all, not even a tiny bit. even as an angmarim being benefited by this (much lower awareness can see much higher sneak), its not right. sneak needs to be massively altered. even better if they make it useful for more than a dramatic entrance ;)

PS Angmar should get auto sneak :)
WOOH LETS GO!!!!! :P

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 31 May 2022 18:54

qwertheangmarim wrote:
31 May 2022 03:20
That's funny!
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 31 May 2022 22:43

nils wrote:
31 May 2022 18:54
qwertheangmarim wrote:
That's funny!
Considering they are more skilled at it than Rangers it has always felt odd to me... Why have such high sneak & hide skills but no autosneak?
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

qwertheangmarim
Adventurer

Post by qwertheangmarim » 01 Jun 2022 04:32

nils wrote:
31 May 2022 18:54
qwertheangmarim wrote:
That's funny!
:( in a bad way?