Ability Transparency

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Vyasa
Wizard

Re: Ability Transparency

Post by Vyasa » 16 Feb 2020 19:38

Rache wrote:
16 Feb 2020 14:43
Vyasa wrote:
16 Feb 2020 12:28

I think it's time we find ways to be more transparent with the game's mechanics without straying too far from Genesis tradition.
You made some great points, but I want to highlight this. Tradition in Genesis isn't so much the hiding of information, it's that only a select few get special access to wizard information. I understand, imagine if we had a paid wizard staff with NDAs, but for as long as the game has existed, there have been the informed and uninformed. New tradition might be that with a new keeper comes more information to the masses? Just a thought.
You're correct, and that's something I personally would love to do something about. The fact that some players have special information and can scoff at what other players have understood from their limited perspective as players bothers me. It doesn't help anyone if a few individuals have objective knowledge about mechanics others have no access to. I believe that if information is had by the players, then there should be means and methods through which you can get your hands on that info in-game. If the information is going to leak for one or the other reason, then "join them if you can't beat them" and find ways to be more transparent with that information within the boundaries of the "no numbers" policy.
Curving back within myself I create again and again.

Rache
Adventurer

Post by Rache » 16 Feb 2020 21:15

Vyasa wrote:
16 Feb 2020 19:38
Rache wrote:
16 Feb 2020 14:43
Vyasa wrote:
16 Feb 2020 12:28

I think it's time we find ways to be more transparent with the game's mechanics without straying too far from Genesis tradition.
You made some great points, but I want to highlight this. Tradition in Genesis isn't so much the hiding of information, it's that only a select few get special access to wizard information. I understand, imagine if we had a paid wizard staff with NDAs, but for as long as the game has existed, there have been the informed and uninformed. New tradition might be that with a new keeper comes more information to the masses? Just a thought.
You're correct, and that's something I personally would love to do something about. The fact that some players have special information and can scoff at what other players have understood from their limited perspective as players bothers me. It doesn't help anyone if a few individuals have objective knowledge about mechanics others have no access to. I believe that if information is had by the players, then there should be means and methods through which you can get your hands on that info in-game. If the information is going to leak for one or the other reason, then "join them if you can't beat them" and find ways to be more transparent with that information within the boundaries of the "no numbers" policy.
Love it! Not much more I can say. I'm sure the entire player base is in favour of these types of ideas.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 17 Feb 2020 02:37

Funny thing, I (as a player) suggested more openness about which stats affect guild specials on the forums some 10-15 or so years ago. It had probably been suggested before that too, and afterwards. Wonder who will be the heroic wizard who finally makes it happen!?

Rincon
Great Adventurer

Post by Rincon » 17 Feb 2020 16:06

*cough* Che... dlfjghdlkf.... rek *cough*

Alteor
Adept

Post by Alteor » 17 Feb 2020 20:27

Well...

an incident recently made me sure this is even more needed.

Also a command to see your own trainer list of skills even if you already have all of them.

Story time:

I am Lord of Belecthor. Newbie read book on our library, about our skills, book is old, written in a "RP" style text that is a little confusing, and maybe, outdated. So he asked for more information before joining the guild.

So... I looked everywhere, and couldn't find the information, at all, not even a list of skills, only way to obtain them would be somehow lose my skills, and check the trainer.

People asked me to ask a Wizard, I did, Wizard said this "is not a concern of Wizards", and directed me to the book that caused the issue in first place.

Lords of Dunedain, are closest the guild have to a guildmaster, so... why not even us can see what the guild do? Isn't that extremely silly?

Jooli
Adept

Post by Jooli » 21 Feb 2020 11:37

The ability to list skills trained was actually there before, when you could type improve -1, unfortunately it was removed.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 29 Feb 2020 23:48

Internally in the guilds?
Sure.
Readily available for everyone on every ability?
Nope.

The meta has become too strong in Genesis as it is and the mysteries are mostly gone.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 02 Mar 2020 08:33

Amberlee wrote:
29 Feb 2020 23:48
Internally in the guilds?
Sure.
Readily available for everyone on every ability?
Nope.

The meta has become too strong in Genesis as it is and the mysteries are mostly gone.
I agree. Maybe it's irreversible now, but if so that's a shame. I like helping people, and getting help when I need it, but I strongly prefer that to be in game, in character.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/