Gardener update

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zhar
Wizard

Gardener update

Post by Zhar » 21 Jun 2020 20:19

Hello everyone,

as you have probably noticed there was a shift among the ranks of the Gardeners. It is because of a small update I did to the guild code regarding how your rank is being calculated (no change to any skills or abilities).

Previously your rank within the Gardeners guild was dependent solely on your guildstat, which you gain as usual just getting any form of experience. I thought this was pretty weak thematically for a craft guild so I've changed it (and fixed some stuff along the way).

Basically, your title within Gardeners is now dependent on the number of unique herbs you have recorded in your journal so far. There was also a bug regarding the journal itself, where it would forever be the "new leather book" instead of progressing to different descriptions. This was fixed and now you can flaunt your journal to display both the number of unique herbs you have found (as you add more pages it grows in thickness) and your guildstat (increased wear and age). So you will start with very thin new herb journal and can end up with very thick ancient herb journal.

I've seen in Discord that this has confused some people so my apologies for not dropping down the message about it sooner. The change is purely cosmetic though, nothing has changed when it comes down to functionality, no records were erased etc. If you had plenty of herbs recorded in your journal before you might end up with a higher rank than you had before, if you were in a guild for a long time but only ever found few herbs your rank will drop (but your journal will change).

Edit: Adding some Q&A after questions from people in Discord and other places so it's all here.

Q: Does the change affect my "lfind" ability? Supposedly it was based on the guild rank.
A: No, the change is purely cosmetic and does not affect how the guild functions.

Q: Did I lose all of my guildstat? Was it re-calculated based on the number of unique herbs found?
A: No, your guildstat remains unchanged, it just isn't used for the purpose of determining your rank in the guild any more (if you're truly dedicated you can reach Grandmaster rank in a single day now). It does affect how your journal looks though so you can still track it.

Q: I've found a lot of different herbs but my title isn't changing, what's going on?
A: Remember to "lcopy notes" to your journal :twisted:

Q: Can we get alphabetically sorted entries in the journal?
A: Work in progress. Might be soon, just need to iron out some minor quirks.
Last edited by Zhar on 22 Jun 2020 10:00, edited 3 times in total.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Re: Gardener update

Post by Raelle » 21 Jun 2020 21:16

Zhar wrote:
21 Jun 2020 20:19
The change is purely cosmetic though,
A rumor among players is that success with the gardener <lfind> ability was tied to one's rank/title in the guild.
Might we expect to find that our <lfind> results are different with our respective new lower/higher titles?

(And yes - I am fishing for an answer as to whether that rumor is true ;) )

Dhez
Great Adventurer

Post by Dhez » 21 Jun 2020 21:22

Hi Zhar,

First of all thank you for the thematic update. There are ongoing conversations among us in the community which prompt me to write this reply, though. It seems there are people with close to 200 herbs or more in their journal and they are still being labeled as apprentices. We're not sure if the titles are adapting adequately to the amount of unique herbs catalogued. Any chance you can look into this, please? The concern is: if these people with so many unique herbs are still apprentices, who on earth could ever reach Grandmaster?

Thanks in advance.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a challenge.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 21 Jun 2020 21:34

Might I add one to the pile, a "nice to have". Can we have an alphabetically organized index so that we can find things a bit more easily?

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 21 Jun 2020 21:39

Drazson wrote:
21 Jun 2020 21:34
Might I add one to the pile, a "nice to have". Can we have an alphabetically organized index so that we can find things a bit more easily?
I totally agree!

Also, as Dhez wrote.

You open the very thin ancient leather book at page one.
189 green slime

I don't know what they made the pages of, but wow. :)

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 21 Jun 2020 22:14

There was a small bug with counting the herbs (only affected your title and journal displays, nothing to be worried about). It has been fixed now and relog should do the trick.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 21 Jun 2020 22:16

Raelle wrote:
21 Jun 2020 21:16
Zhar wrote:
21 Jun 2020 20:19
The change is purely cosmetic though,
A rumor among players is that success with the gardener <lfind> ability was tied to one's rank/title in the guild.
Might we expect to find that our <lfind> results are different with our respective new lower/higher titles?

(And yes - I am fishing for an answer as to whether that rumor is true ;) )
Regardless of your new rank you will not see any difference in the behavior of lfind prior to the change.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 21 Jun 2020 22:23

Alphabetic index. Yes. Please?
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 21 Jun 2020 22:26

nils wrote:
21 Jun 2020 22:23
Alphabetic index. Yes. Please?
I will look into that. Sorting stuff can be expensive when it comes to computing power so will need to check the impact of that.

Callimachus
Beginner

Post by Callimachus » 21 Jun 2020 23:08

Awesome update!

The biggest desire, I think, is for an alphebatized list. So thank you for looking into that.

A nice to to have... Can we get the functionality to edit entries in our journal (as opposed to just adding more info to an existing entry)? Perhaps we already can do this and I just don't know how..? Early on, I had no clue how the journal worked, but now I would love to be able to edit some of my earliest entries. Or if not outright edit, how about tearing a page out? That would likely mean needing to re-discover the herb, but then you have the chance to make the log entry as you want.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/