Close the thief guild!

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Fairlight
Apprentice

Close the thief guild!

Post by Fairlight » 19 Dec 2020 16:28

Does it really bring anything, apart from griefing to the game ? Sure flavour is a reason, but not all flavours taste good.

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Close the thief guild!

Post by Cherek » 19 Dec 2020 18:09

Fairlight wrote:
19 Dec 2020 16:28
Does it really bring anything, apart from griefing to the game ? Sure flavour is a reason, but not all flavours taste good.
But by the same logic we should also remove PVP from the game? Since it can also be used for griefing. I don't know. Genesis is already a co-op game in many ways, where you can more or less grind away in peace without anyone really bothering you. I am not a fan of removing one of the things that do cause some conflict. You'll have to bring mroe and better arguments to convince me! :)

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 19 Dec 2020 18:14

There is a timer on the steal command? Right?
Or was that only added to backstab?
It would nice if it was added to the peek command also.

Getting spammed by me noticing a thief trying to peek at my stuff seems rather silly.
Or at least give us a "you strike the person when you notice him trying to peek through your belongings"
And that strike should do damage, of some sort.
Then an stupid thief would kill himself by spamming it. Which I would find amazingly funny.
Last edited by Thalric on 20 Dec 2020 11:15, edited 1 time in total.

Fairlight
Apprentice

Post by Fairlight » 19 Dec 2020 19:43

Thats right Cherek, pvp do not require gear size nor skill.
Same logic my foot. :D

Mim
Rising Hero

Post by Mim » 19 Dec 2020 22:54

Fairlight wrote:
19 Dec 2020 16:28
Does it really bring anything, apart from griefing to the game ?
Or upgrade it to OCC? Today it¨s a guild with few members but those who thought life would be a walk on the catwalk with some cool skills. Most likely a majority is alts who just tried it out and now never log in.
Are there any big thieves around? One? Two? And most likely they used their occ skills to gain their xp.

But bring them some different and new possibilities?
That could be intresting if there would be a third fraction in the stone, paper and scissors game.
Thief, kicks magic. A backstab with some potent damage and some nasty poison on top.
Magic users hand a warriors head on a plate. *Shazam*, FireBall, warrior is burned to a crisp.
A warrior just fights a thief like we all swat flies a warm summer day. A mean glance and a snap with their fingers and thief is toast.
I think this is, or might have been, what former Genesis keepers thought was a goal, back in the days...

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 19 Dec 2020 23:27

Mim wrote:
19 Dec 2020 22:54
Or upgrade it to OCC?
I think we have enough occ guilds but I definitely support occ thieves. Although they wouldn't be secret... which would make them assassins. (FK?) Thieves are already geared toward pvp with their special abilities. Most small toons with thief lay play like thief occ. I've heard several students and mercs claim Hiddukel as their effective occ. Lay thieves suck for most sneaky things, I would remove them. Would be different if big players frequently used thieves for thief stuff

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 20 Dec 2020 03:22

Thalric wrote:
19 Dec 2020 18:14
There is a timer on the steal command..
It would nice if it was added to the peek command also.
not a bad idea

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 20 Dec 2020 10:09

Fairlight wrote:
19 Dec 2020 19:43
Thats right Cherek, pvp do not require gear size nor skill.
Same logic my foot. :D
I think it's very comparable.

For PVP you need to find someone with smaller stats than you to target, and with stealing you need to find someone with low enough awareness compared to your pick pocket skill.

I think you see this from an big player perspective, but griefing and player killing goes on at all levels. Actually more at lower levels. An adventurer can easily wreak havoc on a population of beginners and apprentices for example. Just like a thief can easily mess with a player who has low to average awareness skill.

I don't think we should remove either from Genesis. We can discuss how to improve stealing in Genesis, though, Because everything can be improved. (PVP as well, but that's another thread)

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 20 Dec 2020 10:15

None of the solutions adress the alt-spree when christmas, or feeling like annoying people.

nils
Titan

Post by nils » 05 Jan 2021 23:58

Ah, yes - the thieves..

A once useful layman guild, where if you sacrificed enough money you could steal a flaming sword straight out of a nazgul's hands without it noticing. Sure it was expensive, but it really did make thieves a valuable asset in a team.

Wonder which Buzz Killjoy "fixed" that. He should have a talking to!
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/