Academic Rework?

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Skythus
Adventurer

Academic Rework?

Post by Skythus » 22 Dec 2020 21:54

Having a history with multiple Genesis servers, I have noted that nearly all of us regard the Academics of Gelan as a garbage guild. There's no graduation benefit, it doesn't prepare you for anything, it's difficult for newbies to complete without help, and every other magic guild does better in teaching you the basics of caster life. I believe that the Academics should be reworked into an introductory guild akin to School of High Magic, as SoHM gives you 0 spells and is not newbie friendly, but is often where they are pushed rather than Academics.

Example Academic Spells and Locations:

Messenger - Taught on joining
Darkvis - Delphonian Temple
Attack Spell - Elemental Garden
Identify Item - Cadet joinroom
Waterbreath - Thallasia
Stoneskin - Edoral Tunnel

This is a very rough idea, but if Amjal gave hints instead of tasks, it would increase the aptitude of new players. They would be encouraged to inspect their surroundings closely, and have a modest kit of abilities for exploring or going to areas where they can find quests.

Redblade
Adept

Re: Academic Rework?

Post by Redblade » 22 Dec 2020 22:04

Sounds really nice! I'd gladly invest time (if I'll have any) into testing this should it be needed. I've seen a ton of newbies just simply join the SoHM and be helpless about how it even works, which I think it's a shame. Cheers, Skythus!
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

Becka
Apprentice

Post by Becka » 22 Dec 2020 22:18

What an excellent suggestion.

I propose all spells for this "school" should be held by Pharazon, a most kind and gentle individual. Surely for a new player to reach the aforementioneds location is feat of daring matched by few. As always new players are most welcome to the Free City in the East. Especially elves, plenty of space on the rack. Who knows, with enough pointy ears coming to the gentle and caring city, we might even get Muldan-Er to awaken from his slumber, Nwalka-Er to come on down and so forth!

/Morwen, Third Witch.

gold bezie
Expert

Post by gold bezie » 26 Dec 2020 01:18

I really like this idea of skythus. Personally i liked the Cadets and the ring you get for graduating is something that is seems honorable to the older and serious players. Ive always missed that with the Academy.
I believe both guilds can be 'finished' without the help of others, but it would take a lot of time.

The guild really needs an update now spells are so powerful these days.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 26 Dec 2020 07:40

I don't personally think Academics should be killing Rising Hero grounds at Veteran by any means, I'm more focused on adapting the only free to join magic starter guild to realistically prepare its members for success in the next logical step, where it is possible to fly solo for months without meeting a guildmate. You could even make it transfer directly to SoHM, or remove Academics and rework the Poolbottom area. Academics come to me not knowing where to get components, not understanding their tasks, and not knowing how to quest which is doubly bad for SoHM. Skythus often watches fresh students and provides them with goals, tools, and information in an attempt to make them self sufficient, but it is sad to watch those who are very excited about the guild to burn out or leave because they didn't know what they signed up for. Right now the best way to help new students is to have them join the School of High Magic Discord I own(plug), and you shouldn't have to play half the game in Discord to understand a guild.
gold bezie wrote:
26 Dec 2020 01:18
Personally i liked the Cadets and the ring you get for graduating is something that is seems honorable to the older and serious players. Ive always missed that with the Academy.
Academics should have a permanent catalyst as a graduation gift(ignoring that you can get Aeria in the same domain.) A customizable wand with Graduate emotes!

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 26 Dec 2020 20:14

They should keep their medallion or whatever and be able to customize it like Cadets can. It should also let you enter both Cadets and Academics racks etc. to donate to the next generation (ex-Cadets should also be able to donate to Academics).

The spells could definitely use a re-work. They should have an offensive spell that doesn't require components (like minors in SoHM) and some utility spells that do require the basic components like herbs and gems (although getting gems can be problematic for small people, with water krougs being kinda hidden and regular krougs being dangerous for newbies).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

sylphan
Veteran

Post by sylphan » 29 Dec 2020 04:53

Zhar wrote:
26 Dec 2020 20:14
They should have an offensive spell that doesn't require components (like minors in SoHM)
Don't they already have this? Their main offensive special?

Lionel
Beginner

Post by Lionel » 29 Dec 2020 16:25

Zhar wrote:
26 Dec 2020 20:14
and some utility spells that do require the basic components like herbs and gems (although getting gems can be problematic for small people, with water krougs being kinda hidden and regular krougs being dangerous for newbies).
Use coins as components. copper/silver/gold depending on power of the spell

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 29 Dec 2020 20:11

Lionel wrote:
29 Dec 2020 16:25
Use coins as components. copper/silver/gold depending on power of the spell
For newbies that are perpetually broke?

If memory serves, right now they have 2 offensive spells, one which requires a guild ability to prep and another that requires a herbal component. There should be a task to herb, or a guide for them, as gathering components is the most important thing for casters in the future. With Academics being a simple starter guild, the two spells already provided do fine, but I've had several academics ask me for components.

If you were to use objects as components, require things the newbies will see on their quests, such as honeycombs, kroug orbs, pearls, etc.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 06 Jan 2021 21:53

Kroug orbs come from avengers though, and those come from strong kroug. Hardly a thing for youngsters to gather - I am to this day haunted by memories of deadly avenger popping up on me and how I frantically had to look for some friends to help me deal with it before it killed me.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/