Smiths Guild

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rache
Adventurer

Smiths Guild

Post by Rache » 05 Jan 2021 01:41

There has been a lot of talk on discord about the craft guild slots and what utility each provides. When it comes to Blacksmiths, while the idea of having a sharpening stone on you while you travel is neat, why should you be able to break armours when trying to repair them at a Smith's forge?

smrepair worn belt
Somehow you manage to make things worse! Go get some training.
The leather belt breaks!!!
As you remove the leather belt, you feel a powerful loss of energy within your mind.

And before the peanut gallery chimes in about skills, and gxp:

Forging: superior craftsman Mending armours: superior craftsman
Mending weapons: superior craftsman

Mythical Blacksmith of Mordor
This priceless mithril necklace is the token of membership in the Smiths Guild.

It happens a lot where you get the "Somehow you manage to make things worse! Go get some training." message and clearly it's not skills, gxp or any other readily available metric.

So...why?

Tarlok
Apprentice

Re: Smiths Guild

Post by Tarlok » 05 Jan 2021 04:25

I agree the blacksmith armour repair functionality is not useful as currently implemented. Failure rate should be changed to zero, or make it so failures don't actually damage the armour.

Another problem with armour repairs that prevents me from using them is the fatigue cost. I suspect the fatigue cost to repair is around 20% of a players max fatigue per item repaired. Couple that with the way that fatigue is recovered (large players recover smaller percentages of their total fatigue) and a large player has to idle much longer if both a newbie and a large player repair 5 items. Its just faster to go to a real smith for repairs and skip the fatigue restoration penalty.

It would be great if both issues could be fixed.

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 05 Jan 2021 23:34

It is a tough balance here, how much support can a craft guild have?
Would repairing your own armours and weapons without a risk of failure, with consequenses, be too powerful?

What does Mariners have that can be compared with such abilities? Gardeners?

I am not saying it is correct the way it works now but rather how do you balance it?

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 06 Jan 2021 00:36

Maybe we should just accept that craft guilds are realistically useless, just not club level. Blacksmiths get on the go weapon repairs I guess, gardeners a scripting aide and mariners save some cash but most of it is fluff.

There are other shit guilds out there, and I can think of both Occupational and Layman options which sound more important than crafts. Maybe they aren't cause more people worry ab

Why the fuck am I typing again. Cheers.

Rache
Adventurer

Post by Rache » 06 Jan 2021 12:42

Chanele wrote:
05 Jan 2021 23:34
Would repairing your own armours and weapons without a risk of failure, with consequenses, be too powerful?
You're not serious, are you? You have to go to a dedicated Smith's forge in either a guild or Bree, manually repair items one at a time and suffer significant fatigue and you can worsen the condition of the items at a relatively high rate?

How is that too powerful?

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 06 Jan 2021 12:51

She says that if you don't have that risk... it might be too powerful.

Rache
Adventurer

Post by Rache » 06 Jan 2021 13:22

Thalric wrote:
06 Jan 2021 12:51
I know what she said. I'm suggesting that it's a) inconvenient at best to use the armour repair ability b) taxed c) unreliable and worsens condition of weapons and armours regularly.

We, ahem, don't all have Bubba in our backyards.

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 06 Jan 2021 13:45

Rache wrote:
06 Jan 2021 13:22
Thalric wrote:
06 Jan 2021 12:51
I know what she said. I'm suggesting that it's a) inconvenient at best to use the armour repair ability b) taxed c) unreliable and worsens condition of weapons and armours regularly.

We, ahem, don't all have Bubba in our backyards.
You can however get to Bubba fast - just as fast as anyone else. I believe smiths are already the most powerful craft (I mean... compared to finding herbs which most people script anyway?) and *heavily* agree with Drazson. :)
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 09 Jan 2021 18:35

Well, it certainly sounds like an ability nobody would use in its current state. I agree with that. Perhaps the simplest solution would be to just remove it? That way people wont be frustrated by it? Or, of course, removing the risk of making it worse, but like Chanele said, that may be too powerful compared to other craft guilds? That would be something for the balance team to decide, though, but perhaps some other penalty when failing, that does not risk the armour, would be better. Because right now, it's of course a bad ida to even attempt it, and a guild with an ability that is _negative_ for the player isn't so good...

As I suggested to you in private, and since Gondor now has an active liege again, I think the best thing to do is to mail Varian. It sounds like this issue (and I agree with the issue) could be solved with a relatively simply tweak.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/