The rise of the Nameless Horror!

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should the Khiraa re-open 20+ years after the fact?

No, it would hurt the game!
47%
No, keep Genesis as it is, I'm afraid of change!
3%
Yes, this sounds like a good addition to Genesis and could induce future rejuvenation of the Raumdor-domain!
24%
Yes, any guild that encourages and enables teaming is a welcome and refreshing addition to the donut!
26%

Total votes: 34

Redblade
Adept

Re: The rise of the Nameless Horror!

Post by Redblade » 22 Jan 2021 13:20

Rache wrote:
22 Jan 2021 13:09
Makfly wrote:
21 Jan 2021 22:03
Never the less, make every layman guild able to hide their layman title, and thus to some degree, your affiliation with it, makes for much better flexibility for the layman to complement the OCC, as you mentioned, and would give a better option for a more dedicated player concept, and in turn roleplaying and sticking in-character within a (perhaps) narrow theme.
I agree with your post. But I believe it starts with identifying the fact that there is a severe lack of attractive layman guilds, and we have for decades. Perhaps with the current attitude from upstairs we might finally be able to rectify that. We've been asking for a Weapon-neutral guild to complement Blademasters. Instead, we got a hard-align locked polearm layman. If the admin is actually willing to address the gaping holes in the layman guilds, your suggestion will make a lot more sense.
I somewhat agree there should be more options in certain weapon types, but I would add that: Bloodsea Warriors teach axe. Angmarim (layman) teach club, Archers (layman) teach bow. Monks (layman) teach unarmed. Out of these: Monks and Bloodsea Warriors are free to join, offer weapon-independent damage special. Others offer a weapon-dependent (okay, I might stand corrected on AA, but you get my point) special, some bound to good, some to evil. I would include the rest of the fighter laymans, but I do not have enough experience there. Nonetheless I believe this somewhat covers the gaping holes.

Blademasters' concept is unique - offer special and nothing else. That hard-align locked polearm layman works completely different from BM :)

Sometimes the game is just not fair to all sides. ;)
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 22 Jan 2021 13:33

[*] Goodie clubs are missing. Will the Donut be able to handle Neidars with ... damage? :)
[*] I'd like to see a goodie dagger guild one day. Actually just a non-Hiddukel-gang one, come all ye faithful style.
[*] If there are even 2 evil characters - but at least that many - that want to use a bow as a layman option, I will stand for them.
[*] If Throtyl are not evil polearm (I guess they aren't) then if it's an empty spot it's an empty spot.

I don't get what else is missing, thus prompting the weaponmaster thing?

It's a shame that the Nerfed Dragonarmies don't have a nice lay option though (seriously). Make some neutral Kahedans great again! :P

Rache
Adventurer

Post by Rache » 22 Jan 2021 14:22

Redblade wrote:
22 Jan 2021 13:20
Rache wrote:
Makfly wrote:
21 Jan 2021 22:03
Never the less, make every layman guild able to hide their layman title, and thus to some degree, your affiliation with it, makes for much better flexibility for the layman to complement the OCC, as you mentioned, and would give a better option for a more dedicated player concept, and in turn roleplaying and sticking in-character within a (perhaps) narrow theme.
I agree with your post. But I believe it starts with identifying the fact that there is a severe lack of attractive layman guilds, and we have for decades. Perhaps with the current attitude from upstairs we might finally be able to rectify that. We've been asking for a Weapon-neutral guild to complement Blademasters. Instead, we got a hard-align locked polearm layman. If the admin is actually willing to address the gaping holes in the layman guilds, your suggestion will make a lot more sense.
Bloodsea Warriors teach axe. Angmarim (layman) teach club, Archers (layman) teach bow. Monks (layman) teach unarmed. Out of these: Monks and Bloodsea Warriors are free to join, offer weapon-independent damage special. Others offer a weapon-dependent (okay, I might stand corrected on AA, but you get my point) special, some bound to good, some to evil. I would include the rest of the fighter laymans, but I do not have enough experience there. Nonetheless I believe this somewhat covers the gaping holes.
I quoted a post about being able to hide layman titles, which would in turn better complement your OCC guild. You should not need to pick a side in order to have a weapon special from a layman guild. Nor should you have to join minotaurs which is a completely different RP/style just to have a special that is not weapon-based. No one joins DO layman, they've been broken since they launched. They actually have negative combat aid.

This is an RP game, or at least it used to be. The thought process should be "I want to be a badass minotaur who sails the high seas and gores foes with his horns!" rather than "Ugh, I'm AA/RDA/Merc and I don't want to use swords but I want a damage special so I guess I'll have to join Minotaurs."

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 22 Jan 2021 14:27

Rache wrote:
22 Jan 2021 14:22
Redblade wrote:
22 Jan 2021 13:20
Rache wrote:

Bloodsea Warriors teach axe. Angmarim (layman) teach club, Archers (layman) teach bow. Monks (layman) teach unarmed. Out of these: Monks and Bloodsea Warriors are free to join, offer weapon-independent damage special. Others offer a weapon-dependent (okay, I might stand corrected on AA, but you get my point) special, some bound to good, some to evil. I would include the rest of the fighter laymans, but I do not have enough experience there. Nonetheless I believe this somewhat covers the gaping holes.
I quoted a post about being able to hide layman titles, which would in turn better complement your OCC guild. You should not need to pick a side in order to have a weapon special from a layman guild. Nor should you have to join minotaurs which is a completely different RP/style just to have a special that is not weapon-based. No one joins DO layman, they've been broken since they launched. They actually have negative combat aid.

This is an RP game, or at least it used to be. The thought process should be "I want to be a badass minotaur who sails the high seas and gores foes with his horns!" rather than "Ugh, I'm AA/RDA/Merc and I don't want to use swords but I want a damage special so I guess I'll have to join Minotaurs."
I agree. Put roleplay before powerplay. Sacrifice, not having damage special for roleplay. For me, that's exactly where I stand. If that is not an option for you, then I simply differ in view from yours and I don't think it's going to be a productive debate.
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

Rangar
Beginner

Post by Rangar » 22 Jan 2021 20:07

Re: layman options

What if... the Mercenaries got a layman branch, with one weapon skill up to 50 or whatever the limit for layman fighters is, a similar limit on strike and (maybe) no adaptability? Wouldn't it make practically any occ guild much happier? They can already hide or align titles to their preferred guilds...

Just my 2 cc :)

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 22 Jan 2021 20:49

Rangar wrote:
22 Jan 2021 20:07
Re: layman options

What if... the Mercenaries got a layman branch, with one weapon skill up to 50 or whatever the limit for layman fighters is, a similar limit on strike and (maybe) no adaptability? Wouldn't it make practically any occ guild much happier? They can already hide or align titles to their preferred guilds...

Just my 2 cc :)
This has been suggested many times before, and Gorboth (the creator of the guild) has always said no. Unless he has had a change of heart recently, this is not going to happen. Personally I also think we can come up with something new rather than expanding the mercs. It might even be less work starting from scratch than trying to expand an already existing guild anyway.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 22 Jan 2021 20:56

Cherek wrote:
22 Jan 2021 20:49
This has been suggested many times before, and Gorboth (the creator of the guild) has always said no. Unless he has had a change of heart recently, this is not going to happen. Personally I also think we can come up with something new rather than expanding the mercs. It might even be less work starting from scratch than trying to expand an already existing guild anyway.
So what about a, I presume, low effort solution, of simply allowing layman guilds to hide their titles for the reasons listed above?
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 22 Jan 2021 21:37

Makfly wrote:
22 Jan 2021 20:56
So what about a, I presume, low effort solution, of simply allowing layman guilds to hide their titles for the reasons listed above?
I don't know. I mean, even if you hide your warlock title, everyone will know you are a warlock / SU when you start flinging both knives and spells? And everyone will know you're a kender / pirate when you start staggering around and hitting people with bottles while slinging pebbles? Will it really help RP so much...? Even if you can hide your layman title, your abilities will give you away. If the goal is to let players pick layman guilds that doesn't "fit" with their occupational choice, I don't really think simply hiding the title will do much good? Or am I the only one who feels it's a very transparent band-aid that people will see through easily?

I think being able to hide your layman title would only really make sense if the layman guild has a very generic abilitiy, like the blademasters, or has a good reason for its member to hide the title, like the thieves. And I think it might be actually be easier to create such a guild than to go through all our existing guilds and add incognito mode to them, which, in many cases, wouldn't really make sense thematically.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 22 Jan 2021 23:09

A better solution I think would be to alter the layman title based on your OCC choice, similarly to what Blacksmiths have. If we also added the OCC title switch for Mercs similar to SoHM (not affiliation, switch based on your current layman) we could get some really interesting choices. Mercs and SoHM would let you RP with your layman as primary while other OCC guilds would let you turn your layman into a more fitting choice (title-wise) to your chosen occupation.

An interesting dynamic if you ask me.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 22 Jan 2021 23:48

Zhar wrote:
22 Jan 2021 23:09
A better solution I think would be to alter the layman title based on your OCC choice, similarly to what Blacksmiths have. If we also added the OCC title switch for Mercs similar to SoHM (not affiliation, switch based on your current layman) we could get some really interesting choices. Mercs and SoHM would let you RP with your layman as primary while other OCC guilds would let you turn your layman into a more fitting choice (title-wise) to your chosen occupation.

An interesting dynamic if you ask me.
It may not work for all guilds, but it could definitely be an interesting feature for some. I agree.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/