Druids of the Donut

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
nils
Titan

Re: Druids of the Donut

Post by nils » 14 Jan 2021 00:38

It is known.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Alisa
Hero

Post by Alisa » 14 Jan 2021 01:24

Zhar wrote:
14 Jan 2021 00:13
Redblade wrote:
13 Jan 2021 00:26
EW are neutral, non-political guild.
Yet they are controlled by an OCC guild that is good-only and has some political ties. Let's just say that applying to them as evil person is awkward at best.
Funny how the other end of the process seems to be akward in the 2 billion alts applying and then just never logging in again.
or
not remembering their own names.
or
not wanting to talk to anyone.

I get that some people dont like RP, but claiming a guild is bad or biased because you dont like RP... Well...
Take that to flames.

Skythus
Adventurer

Post by Skythus » 14 Jan 2021 07:16

I get that some people dont like RP, but claiming a guild is bad or biased because you dont like RP... Well...

Did I miss something or did that just fly in out of nowhere?

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 14 Jan 2021 07:41

Skythus wrote:
13 Jan 2021 18:47
Drazson wrote:
13 Jan 2021 00:50
Imho, balance considerations should go against warlocks and EW, so maybe your alchemy idea has to be added to make it a semi-viable, not replace the things Sylphan listed :P
I'm pretty sure Arman said he'd nerf locks/ew whenever an evil OOTS alternative came out. That might be in the forums somewhere.
If I said nerf, I meant 'balance them gently'.

Would likely involve restricting certain spells to certain branches of those layman guilds, rather than allowing full access to the wide variety. I think that was something Nils flagged he really had a love/hate relationship with.

And it may happen before an evil OOTS alternative came out, if it could be done in a way that addressed my concerns.

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 14 Jan 2021 09:15

*Reminds everyone that they are going off-topic*
*No, seriously*

I like the idea of full spellcaster druids to be honest.
I think adding alchemy is off theme. (Alchemists could also be an option as a different guild!)
Shapeshifting might be cool and all but it seems too forced.

What do we need to provide for this to be consider a fully fledged idea? Some points from me:

[*] Omni-aligned - no rules come to mind apart from the next point being a soft rule - lore but not too strong of a mechanical rule
[*] Theme: Protecting the forests and their inhabitants. There can be some punishment for destroying them (rough example, your druid abilities lose a bit of their their power for a bit if you decide to kill some kinds of enemies) but mostly thematic cause we only care about mass murder and such things will be too inconvinient.
[*] Groves are where druids convene, rest a bit more quickly and find their components possibly. A single grove is technically the most viable, or multiple but in the same domain only (a shame though) so let the druids use their time to find their components there, which are acorns and stuff, non-herbs essentially.
[*] Spell ideas from Sylphan are quite nice actually, maybe the stun is a bit too much considering it's the sole ability of another layman guild though. I can see a thunder offensive spell and offensive spells being mutually exclusive (basically only 1 special can be used at any time) and few in number. Flipping through 5e druids' spellbook one can find more ideas - one I can immediately add is http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/spell:primal-savagery which could be translated to a bonus to unarmed - something that made me internally shout MONK DRUIDS.
[*] It could probably stick to any domain really.

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 14 Jan 2021 11:54

Drazson wrote:
14 Jan 2021 09:15
*Reminds everyone that they are going off-topic*
*No, seriously*

I like the idea of full spellcaster druids to be honest.
I think adding alchemy is off theme. (Alchemists could also be an option as a different guild!)
Shapeshifting might be cool and all but it seems too forced.

What do we need to provide for this to be consider a fully fledged idea? Some points from me:

[*] Omni-aligned - no rules come to mind apart from the next point being a soft rule - lore but not too strong of a mechanical rule
[*] Theme: Protecting the forests and their inhabitants. There can be some punishment for destroying them (rough example, your druid abilities lose a bit of their their power for a bit if you decide to kill some kinds of enemies) but mostly thematic cause we only care about mass murder and such things will be too inconvinient.
[*] Groves are where druids convene, rest a bit more quickly and find their components possibly. A single grove is technically the most viable, or multiple but in the same domain only (a shame though) so let the druids use their time to find their components there, which are acorns and stuff, non-herbs essentially.
[*] Spell ideas from Sylphan are quite nice actually, maybe the stun is a bit too much considering it's the sole ability of another layman guild though. I can see a thunder offensive spell and offensive spells being mutually exclusive (basically only 1 special can be used at any time) and few in number. Flipping through 5e druids' spellbook one can find more ideas - one I can immediately add is http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/spell:primal-savagery which could be translated to a bonus to unarmed - something that made me internally shout MONK DRUIDS.
[*] It could probably stick to any domain really.
I must say, I am concerned a bit by this much of ablities with so many effects. You say MONK DRUIDS and I fear that in this combination, Druids would be stronger guild than the OCC branch of Monks. Consider if we're making a magical Layman guild of magical occupational guild. Sounds like the later to me now. However this may just be me. I get the notion that magical layman guilds get a lot of abilities in comparison with fighter laymans (can't really tell with stealth laymans, never been one). :)

Also, if you make bonuses on unarmed combat, you do cut a lot of the playerbase. Almost every fighter occ relies on a weapon skill (two possible exceptions are DO and Merc, maybe more, but afaik...). Looking swiftly at stealth occ, I would guess it's similiar there? But I'd be guessing, so let's say up to 4 of those could do unarmed well enough. When you look at magic guilds, you note that everyone but SoHM already has a full Layman slot. So you basically have 3 to 7 occ guilds benefiting from possible unamed bonus (out of 19 total, if I can count :D ).
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

Drazson
Titan

Post by Drazson » 14 Jan 2021 12:29

Redblade, I think you are right about unarmed but you focused too much on that. What do you think of the rest as a theme?

As for the range of abilities... I suggest you make an alt and try warlocks, hoots.... I am pretty sure you are at least remotely aware of Heralds as well, and the range is quite nice in those guilds. There can always be some either/or choice - I believe it is a thing in one of the mentioned guilds - yet I do not like that too much.

The fact that fighter laymans are built differently usually around a single special and essentially nothing else (and some might be simply outdated/weak), is a bit of another topic. It would be better if they had more options in specials like caster laymans have, have interesting passive mechanics for combat and have them all toned down heavily on their efficiency, for example give blademasters a parry/riposte mechanic and move caid from the battack to it, that would be awesome. I am quite inclined to makr another post to suggest that right now. :)

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 14 Jan 2021 17:02

Drazson wrote:
14 Jan 2021 12:29
Redblade, I think you are right about unarmed but you focused too much on that. What do you think of the rest as a theme?

As for the range of abilities... I suggest you make an alt and try warlocks, hoots.... I am pretty sure you are at least remotely aware of Heralds as well, and the range is quite nice in those guilds. There can always be some either/or choice - I believe it is a thing in one of the mentioned guilds - yet I do not like that too much.

The fact that fighter laymans are built differently usually around a single special and essentially nothing else (and some might be simply outdated/weak), is a bit of another topic. It would be better if they had more options in specials like caster laymans have, have interesting passive mechanics for combat and have them all toned down heavily on their efficiency, for example give blademasters a parry/riposte mechanic and move caid from the battack to it, that would be awesome. I am quite inclined to makr another post to suggest that right now. :)
Paragraph by paragraph reply :)
You can see what I think above in the thread :) I like the idea, I would not add unarmed bonus to it. That's all I meant to say in the latest reply. Well that and "don't make it more powerful than OCC guilds are" :D

I've actually been (on various characters) every magical layman -except- Heralds :D you missed, I know the least (but not nothing) on Heralds, I had full view of the rest. Didn't always make it to top title, but I did see the full abilities used and know how the guilds work. Not saying I like the amount magical laymans get but well... I can't be all nonpower play ;) which gets us to paragraph three...

Yes, that's another topic. If you're making a thread, I'll voice myself there. Anyway I'll keep shut here on that. Sorry for a derail :)
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/