The case for closure – fighter guilds

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Which guilds should close? (pick two options)

The Gladiators of Athas -> layman guild
20%
The Army of Angmar -> layman guild
7%
The Calian Warriors -> layman guild
6%
The Knights of Solamnia -> closed
1%
The Army of Darkness -> layman guild
10%
The Dragon Order -> layman guild
4%
The Neidar Clan -> layman guild
4%
The Shadow Union -> closed
16%
The Dragonarmies (red and blue) -> closed (or merged!)
22%
The Mercenaries -> closed
9%

Total votes: 69

Amberlee
Myth

Re: The case for closure – fighter guilds

Post by Amberlee » 21 Jan 2021 17:19

Budwise wrote:
21 Jan 2021 17:16
"Take Calian Warriors as an example - who is on the council could be dictated by 1. guild experience, 2. rack contributions, 3. killing krougs. You can't just idle or others will overtake you, you can't just grind in top xp spots because this fills just 1 out of 3 criteria, you actually need to be a) active, b) progressing your character, c) contributing to the guild, d) engaging in thematic activities for your guild. No more just logging in once every 2 weeks to check mail, no more idling 24/7."

Actually we have a nice system called democracy where we vote with regular intervals.
Avoids a dead council due to inactive councilmembers. And I like idling 24/7. Called idle-xp.

Also much as I love Amberlee she has a massive bee in her bonnet about Calia this that and whatnot. *chugs*
tbh I actually love the Calians.
Was one for years until some people ruined the guild, you not being one of them.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 22 Jan 2021 14:50

Drazson wrote:
21 Jan 2021 12:24
Some people's long careers that switch between being KoS, SoHM and FK and possibly many more I think should be reminding us all that generally people do accept others making new choices and taking new paths instead of thinking "nah they didn't change paths they want our power, they were traitors of their previous guild and they want to avoid RP".

An application saying "oh I tried magic and I saw how dangerous it is I want to join KoS now" is a cliche bathroom thought for meta-constructing your way towards your new guild, or kid-level "RP". It is practically equal to "hey I'd like to join, wanna meet?" in my view, but with annoying pleasantries which offer nothing to either party and can only mean a rejection if the guild arbitrarily decides the pleasantrism wasn't good enough.

If we were going to be annoying about it, we could also not understand that the race-changed Bob in front of us is the same Bob we knew. We would think our friend Bob is lost and never find them again, or maybe that dwarf sitting in front of us stalked them, learned about them so that they can pretend they are them and killed them. I wonder what would happen when Bob showed up AGAIN, we go crazy, probably retiring our character?

Lots of loopholes. It's possible that RP is dead or is just in another building (probably an RP-enforced one)
OR
We can just accept some things and RP our way through the rest :)

P.S. Talking about RP *in* guilds as I am... We can try to seriously scrutinize guildmates for their behaviour, kick them if they have grown unworthy of their position beside us or ask for their deposition. See how that goes, that would be fun. You inspired me, people. Thank you.
This is an interesting topic. One of the unique things about Genesis as opposed to many other MUDs and MMOs is that you're not tied to a specific class (or even race and gender). I know that some people love to RP to the highest level, with no OCC talk allowed and everything but I think we all need to realize the fact that our characters in Genesis live in a reality that allows for much freedom when it comes to choosing your destiny. Personally I see nothing wrong with people guild-hopping, trying to find a place for themselves that will give them the most enjoyment out of the game (I am guilty as charged for doing so myself, my mortal has been many races and almost all guilds before making practically a full circle to where he begun). I know some look down on such restless souls and think it's bad RP but if the world allows it, why not make use of it?
Budwise wrote:
21 Jan 2021 17:16
"Take Calian Warriors as an example - who is on the council could be dictated by 1. guild experience, 2. rack contributions, 3. killing krougs. You can't just idle or others will overtake you, you can't just grind in top xp spots because this fills just 1 out of 3 criteria, you actually need to be a) active, b) progressing your character, c) contributing to the guild, d) engaging in thematic activities for your guild. No more just logging in once every 2 weeks to check mail, no more idling 24/7."

Actually we have a nice system called democracy where we vote with regular intervals.
Avoids a dead council due to inactive councilmembers. And I like idling 24/7. Called idle-xp.

Also much as I love Amberlee she has a massive bee in her bonnet about Calia this that and whatnot. *chugs*
Oh, I never said current Calian setup is bad. Just used them as an example as I have quite fond memories of my time in Calia myself.

My post could as well be rephrased to Dragonarmies and how High Officers and General should fill the racks and conquer war zones lest they be supplanted by up and coming officers who make more contributions to the guild rather than just their personal growth by killing unrelated mobs in distant lands for example.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

qwertheangmarim
Adventurer

Post by qwertheangmarim » 01 Jun 2022 15:09

aa is, as nils said, the only tacky evil guild. the only way that evils can really compete against forces like the neidar. I mean, everyone falls to monks, but that's how it is now. but aa shouldn't be closed, or reduced. aa provided an essential part of the world, and one that helps with the constant struggle of balancing good and evil without letting one of them triumph. Also, if there were no aa, who'd be there to face the constant threat of the rangers?
WOOH LETS GO!!!!! :P

Thalric
Rising Hero

Post by Thalric » 01 Jun 2022 16:47

You do know this thread has been unused for 18 months, right?

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 02 Jun 2022 17:08

qwertheangmarim wrote:
01 Jun 2022 15:09
aa is, as nils said, the only tacky evil guild. the only way that evils can really compete against forces like the neidar. I mean, everyone falls to monks, but that's how it is now. but aa shouldn't be closed, or reduced. aa provided an essential part of the world, and one that helps with the constant struggle of balancing good and evil without letting one of them triumph. Also, if there were no aa, who'd be there to face the constant threat of the rangers?
Morgul Mages, I assume, would be there to face the constant threat. ;)
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

TaranGoatWalker
Great Adventurer

Post by TaranGoatWalker » 02 Jun 2022 21:14

Redblade wrote:
02 Jun 2022 17:08
qwertheangmarim wrote:
The super active mages, yeah.
Stabby stabby stab stab.

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 03 Jun 2022 16:08

TaranGoatWalker wrote:
02 Jun 2022 21:14
Redblade wrote:
02 Jun 2022 17:08
qwertheangmarim wrote:
The super active mages, yeah.
I've seen at least four in the past two weeks. Plenty enough active, I would say.
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

qwertheangmarim
Adventurer

Post by qwertheangmarim » 22 Mar 2023 04:01

Cherek wrote:
13 Jan 2021 14:16
Just to be clear, I don't think I said we should close any guilds? All I have been saying is that I don't think we should start any NEW occupational guild project right now, except the ***two*** already in progress. I did say we already have too many occupational guilds (compared to the number of players) for all of them to be active, and that is certainly true. The best solution is of course to get more players, as Hektor said, but we also need to see what we can do to make the game more fun for the number of players we have right now. Our playerbase has been quite stable the last couple of years, and if the game becomes more fun the current playerbase, chances are the player of numbers will rise because the game is more fun. So, it goes both ways.
Vamps, I'm guessing based off the time, what's the other?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 22 Mar 2023 16:32

The one that brings old corpses back to life, just like you did with this thread :) Chemosh, that is. It was started over a decade ago I think. Before I even was admin (I think?) and definitely long before my "no new occupational guilds" policy.

qwertheangmarim
Adventurer

Post by qwertheangmarim » 22 Mar 2023 16:52

Cherek wrote:
22 Mar 2023 16:32
The one that brings old corpses back to life, just like you did with this thread :) Chemosh, that is. It was started over a decade ago I think. Before I even was admin (I think?) and definitely long before my "no new occupational guilds" policy.
OHHH
Is Gorboth still working on that...?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/