Hiding titles

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

The option to hide/reveal titles freely

Yes, I want it
40%
No, I don't want it
60%

Total votes: 42

nils
Titan

Hiding titles

Post by nils » 26 Jun 2021 04:03

A man walks into a bar. Underneath a three-piece suit the man is covered in tattoos related to the Aryan nation. His suit makes you treat him like you would any other gentleman oblivious to the fact that he's the scum of the earth.

A man walks into a bar. Tank top, visible tattoos, scary looking fella. You get to talking, and it turns out he's the sweetest human being living with his mom and her fifteen cats.

Two hobbits walk into Mordor. One is carrying a ring of power, the other is his lame support. They need to get to mount doom, and in order to get there they put on orc armours and join a group marching in the same direction. They reach mount doom, orcs none the wiser, they toss the ring into the fires and.. Well, fucking eagles.

A man walks into a bar. His posture is something to admire, his clothes uninteresting. Little do you know he will get up tomorrow morning and put on a uniform and uphold the law in your neighborhood.

I could go on with anecdotes about deciding to change one's appearance in order to tell the world you're something that you're not. It may be for good or for bad, for protection or to simply enjoy a night out without labels.

The point is, sometimes we want to take off our suits, our uniforms, or put on clothes to blend in, and in Genesis we can't. It's like we're walking around with banners above our heads spelling out "GLADIATOR", "MILITIA" or "WARLOCK" or "TEMPLAR" even beyond line of sight.

Even though I belong somewhere and that place provides abilities, does the world really have to know? Shouldn't I at least get the option to tailor my own first impression?

I propose three additional function to the "options"-menu:
[*]options racial on/off - show/hide racial title
[*]options layman on/off - show/hide layman title
[*]options occupational on/off - show/hide occupational title

Options, they're great! Freedoms ftw!

And no Arman, having more freedoms does not make for "an easy way out" nor does it detract from a role playing game.
Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre

Drazson
Titan

Re: Hiding titles

Post by Drazson » 26 Jun 2021 05:37

Seems like a pretty good idea, I'm all for it.

As I imagine it rolling it sounds like we would need a way to start to recognizing people bit by bit. For example, you should be able to tell your enemies eventually, I guess? If you see an X appearance fighting allies (e.g. krynn plains) once or twice I imagine they won't pass unnoticed later with other garments, etc.

If not that, then it would more or less make part of the interaction non-existent which sounds like it might remove from the overall experience, considering you can start a conversation with 0 information where it makes no sense for it to be so.

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 26 Jun 2021 13:10

The same argument can be made to allow for players to make up their own titles.

Genesis is a descriptive game... guild titles are a feature of that. And it is a feature I like and strongly support.

I am not going to support options allowing the turning off of guild titles except in the case of rogue classes... where incognito is a class feature.

widdershins
Novice

Post by widdershins » 26 Jun 2021 15:33

Arman wrote:
26 Jun 2021 13:10
I am not going to support options allowing the turning off of guild titles except in the case of rogue classes... where incognito is a class feature.
It's not just a rogue feature currently - Gardeners (maybe other craft guilds?) have the <ldisplay> option that can turn it off altogether. SoHM gets extra title options that members can pick and choose from. RMC members can choose to hide their purse.

So if some guilds get to control how they present themselves, why not all of them? It's not like it's any easier to hide a giant money sack than it is to hide a book of spells.

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 26 Jun 2021 18:41

widdershins wrote:
26 Jun 2021 15:33
Arman wrote:
It's not just a rogue feature currently - Gardeners (maybe other craft guilds?) have the <ldisplay> option that can turn it off altogether. SoHM gets extra title options that members can pick and choose from. RMC members can choose to hide their purse.

So if some guilds get to control how they present themselves, why not all of them? It's not like it's any easier to hide a giant money sack than it is to hide a book of spells.
I believe that even if you turn off your title display in the Gardeners you still get a line in your description that identifies you as a gardener (smells of earth and herbs or something like that). RMC is just a club, not a guild so them displaying their status or not is a non-issue. SoHM are not the only guild that can alter their titles (SS, Rangers, DO, CW, EC, EW, MM and NC can do it too, DA can get custom titles).

It's more about hiding your affiliations completely and I stand with Arman on this one. Unless your guild is rogue type or has special reasons for hiding your affiliation you should not be able to do so.

I am however in favor of more variety and more alternate titles, like Mercs being able to alter their title based on their racial, layman on craft like SoHM can - you can only affiliate with guilds you're NOT a member off, would be cool if you could do stuff with the ones you are part of. After all, mercs allow you to RP your layman or racial guild so it would make sense to fully embrace that.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

Taro
Adventurer

Post by Taro » 27 Jun 2021 03:00

Arman wrote:

Genesis is a descriptive game... guild titles are a feature of that. And it is a feature I like and strongly support.

Doesn't it somewhat defeat the purpose though when it just makes it glaringly obvious you ARE a rogue by virtue of not having a title? A lot of guilds have distinguishing features that set them apart anyways but missing a title singles you out easily.
“There was this about vampires : they could never look scruffy. Instead, they were... what was the word... deshabille. It meant untidy, but with bags and bags of style.”

Redblade
Adept

Post by Redblade » 28 Jun 2021 11:30

Taro wrote:
27 Jun 2021 03:00
Arman wrote:

Doesn't it somewhat defeat the purpose though when it just makes it glaringly obvious you ARE a rogue by virtue of not having a title? A lot of guilds have distinguishing features that set them apart anyways but missing a title singles you out easily.
There's also one more advantage in being able to hide the title for "rogue" classes - imagine your guild has ranks and you don't want everyone just knowing that you're a high ranking officer. Nor that you're a weak fresh recruit. Both could easily make you a target of interested parties. Gives the stealth classes an ability to keep their foe only guessing how strong could their adversary be.

I don't support the [options title off] versions. But they make sense for some guilds. I like the current setting as it is :)
Auta i lómë, Aurë entuluva!
The Night is passing, Day shall come again!

Zhar
Wizard

Post by Zhar » 28 Jun 2021 21:51

Like Redblade mentioned guild titles serve more purposes than just showing your affiliation. They often allow you to gauge someone's relative power and/or their standing within the guild. Obviously, once you introduce custom titles etc. this goes out the window but most guilds only allow title customization once you've already achieved the highest rank so it can also be used as a giveaway.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.

gold bezie
Expert

Post by gold bezie » 29 Jun 2021 08:53

I think it was Nils, not sure though, that mentioned in the forum once that his girlfriend looked totally different at the game than he does. When she played the game, she actually did see the surrounding and made pictures in her head (am i right? was a long time ago).
I totally can understand his reasons for wanting to hide titles. Also it could help roleplaybased on being able to spy on others.
Its just i would never want the option 'race title off'. Would be weird if we could not see if someone is a dwarf etc.

About certain guilds, yes we know who i am talking about, and their option to put certain titles off, it all is a way for other players to identify them being in that guild for that reason, so its not really helping.
If every guild could do this, it would help that certain guild im talking about.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.

tor
Apprentice

Post by tor » 30 Jun 2021 03:56

I don't like the option, simply because I believe hiding titles would make the game less newbie-friendly.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/