Does your guild have its own Forge?

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Does your guild have its own Forge?

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 19 Mar 2010 13:22

Aside from Smith Central in Bree there are a number of guilds that get their own player's smithy within the guild complex or the guilds surrounding area.
I wonder what the criteria is for being able to get this?
I think most guilds have players who are smiths, it was a pretty popular guild in the last published figures.

I know that some of these other player smiths are limited in usefulness because players cannot buy the smithying materials nearby.
I guess this is to discourage players semi-afk forging in relative safety compared to Bree.

It would be interesting if forges in different areas could produce unique items.
So SU forge could produce throwing stars, Knights could produce horse armour and Sanction could make horse caltrops, Minas Morgul could make torture devices etc.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Rhynox
Titan

Re: Does your guild have its own Forge?

Post by Rhynox » 19 Mar 2010 13:46

A little background: when work was done to create portable forges, one of the rules Finwe and Palmer decided was that they were no replacement for Bree's one. A local forge in a guild would allow people to repair their items and to forge a few items, but the only place selling unlimited resources was to be Bree, to make people keep going there, especially for mass forging.

This is kind of true for the forge in the Keep, where you can buy unlimited bars if you are a knight, but they have limited amount of leathers and poles. At most you can mass forge quarterstaves for money, but not mass forge every kind of equipment. However, Lucius told me the Shadow Union had unlimited resources (how strange, eh?). He was kind enough to create our version of the forge, but somehow they (Lucius and Navarre) didn't create a supplier. So, we have a forge but don't have a single bar, leather or wooden pole in our town, and are forced to go to Bree to get them. Can't say how the Mages' forge work, since I am not welcomed there :P

From what I know, the players of the guild just need to require it. I would think fighting guilds have more chances of getting them (I mean, why would the clerics need it if they aren't smith? The mages have a context with Sauron being a smith himself).

The problem is that the smith object is the same in all instances (in fact, you could be in the Keep forge and do smcheck and see who was forging in Bree, or do a time and get the time of Middle Earth instead of Krynn). So, throwing stars would be available for every forge (why would the warriors being able to forge shurikens only in their own forge and not in Bree?). Plus it would be available for all smiths (something I wouldn't dislike, though). To forge non-standard things the forges have extensions (scalemails, dwarven shields, etc) that usually have nothing to do with the main forge object.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 19 Mar 2010 14:16

There is only really a flimsy need to have your own forge for "starter sets" most areas have a
shop selling gear or areas near by you could go wack something and get gear.
Enough to safely travel to Bree anyway.

Having your own forge is more about handiness that anything else I would say.
It also fitting in with the theme of the area.

I think different things from different forges would be interesting.
There would be regional variations in how things are made, but once you learn it you could repeat it.
But players would probably complain about being limited by not being able to access areas etc.

Seems strange that currently some guilds get it and others do not.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 19 Mar 2010 14:24

I think it is because you need two wizards to approve the project, the guildmaster and Eowul, and sometimes they aren't active. For example, Lucius created our boulder, and submitted it to Navarre to approve. Once done, he submitted it to Eowul to add it to the Middle Earth domain (all forges are supposedly kept in Middle Earth so that they don't have to dig in other domains). Every warrior guild should have it (with limited supplies to allow at least for a full set of armours).

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 19 Mar 2010 14:27

Why only warriors?
There have been plenty of non-warrior guild smiths...

I agree about the supplies tho, should be one rule for all and no favouritism.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 19 Mar 2010 14:33

I was thinking, as I mentioned, that certain guilds may not need smiths since they are spellcasters, like the clerics. For example, a smithy would not make sense for the wizards of High Sorcery since they can't wear metal. And most spellcasters (except mages, since they identify themselves with the smiths) prefer to be gardeners than smiths. However, if it is one forge for every guild I wouldn't mind. By the way, they should be put in some public section of the guild town too (even if there are restrictions to access them). For example, the boulder is public in Iron Delving, but the town itself blocks goblinoids from entering. However, it is not situated in a room where only neidars can enter. If you are human you can go and use it without problem.

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 19 Mar 2010 14:35

You also block minotaurs.
Racists!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/