Layman Branch Guild Leaders?

Only validated game players have access in this forum. Use this forum to discuss guilds. Note that as a general rule, guild abilities should not be revealed.
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Should layman members of a guild be able to hold a guild leader position?

Yes - If they best choice then no problem
32%
No - It is all wrong, only full members
64%
Undecided..
5%

Total votes: 22

Makfly
Champion

Re: Layman Branch Guild Leaders?

Post by Makfly » 31 May 2010 16:56

Tarax the Terrible wrote:I sort of took this into make believe land right away talking about a layman Captain but layman can already be Judges...
Fade is no longer General.
But I would have no problem having a General + Judge as a tool to cement an alliance.
I know Fade isn't the General anymore, I was talking about the specific incident in the past where the vote was up, and it could've happened.
Theoretically, would you like to have Fade being BDA General and AA Captain? ..:)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 31 May 2010 16:59

Would make for an exciting life. :shock:
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Fourtcoer
Wanderer

Post by Fourtcoer » 03 Jun 2010 01:31

I think it really depends on the guild and the situation; this would have to be on a case-by-case basis. Particularly when the person in question is a member of an occupational guilds that have their own commitments.

I do think the Free Mercenaries offer up a lot of possibility, and I hope someday there is a mage-based Free Mercenary type guild as well. :)

I'm thinking for example, in the Dragonlance Chronicles - Lauralanthalasa Kanan was given a Commandership, even though she was not a knight and *gasp* an elf. If the Knighthood ever re-opened the Sentries of Solamnia, I don't see why in a similar situation, there might be some flexibility there in Genesis - not Conclave but General, Warden, etc.

I've actually always thought it odd that in EVERY situation, someone has to basically forfeit all their former knowledge in order to have a change in life. I understand it game-balance wise, but, say, why couldn't someone RP a Gladiator who had "earned" his freedom, and then ran off to sign up with the Army of Angmar? His axe has assured his survival in the ring all these years, and he's not apt to forfeit his fighting style, and his superiors in Angmar aren't likely to care as long as he's efficient at cracking skulls that need to be cracked. If RP-wise he is 100% Angmarian and his Gladiator occupational status only exists to represent that character's history, I think leadership in that case could work - the Gladiator guild doesn't make any demands on him either so why not.

Heck, how cool would it be if a Knight of the Black Rose could retain his training at "Black Rose" status while he's off in whatever evil guild he's a part of? Power-wise, it wouldn't be the best choice (he'd lose his access to warhorses and other "knights in good standing" perks), but RP wise it could be fun to then go join the Dragonarmy and rise in the ranks with this "I was once a knight" backstory (and it's not all talk, look at the stuff I remember from those days.)

Of course there are all kinds of game balance considerations, but I am all for anything that backs up creative RP.

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 03 Jun 2010 06:38

Alorrana wrote:knowing morguls are layman members. I see them as the only one in the possition to assume command.. should have said that. insted of any layman.. ect ect..
Old memories returning... the middle of the biggest war Genesis has ever seen... Angmar being the personal army of the Witch King... Stern joining the army and not agreeing on following the army's captain's orders... claiming captainship for being the king of Minas Morgul... Monika not agreeing... hell breaking up, Stern killing Monika, Monika quitting the guild, wizards announcing the closure of the guild...

Personally, an occupational guild means you are professionally involved in the guild, your full time activity is working in the guild. A layman guild is something you train but not as a full time member. I would say the professional would be a soldier and the layman one being the reserve, someone who trains from time to time, and answers when called into action, but otherwise not working full time. Therefore, a layman guild should not be the leader of an occupational guild.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 03 Jun 2010 13:28

Rhynox wrote:Old memories returning... the middle of the biggest war Genesis has ever seen... Angmar being the personal army of the Witch King... Stern joining the army and not agreeing on following the army's captain's orders... claiming captainship for being the king of Minas Morgul... Monika not agreeing... hell breaking up, Stern killing Monika, Monika quitting the guild, wizards announcing the closure of the guild...
...And that right there is one of the biggest lore/game failures in the domain (if not in the game as a whole).
The lore dictates that the Witch-King led his Angmar Army, and in the game, some guy is actually playing the Witch-King, but the guild the Witch-King is a member of, has no coded bonds with the actual guild of the Angmar Army - which just creates one big mess, that is bound to blow up from time to time.

My personal thoughts on it, is that the Witch-King should not be a player character, just like nobody gets to play Gollum, Aragorn, Elrond or any of the other major characters from the books.
Also the Army of Angmar should be moved to Mordor and have it be the Army of Mordor, which is then run completely independently of the Society of Morgul.
The Lord of the Nazgul could then be a super NPC summoned by the Captain of the Army of Morgul and a Nazgul of the Society of Morgul in unison, when Minas Morgul is under attack for instance. (or even better, when laying siege to Minas Tirith)

The Lord of the Nazgul could then also be used as a powerful event/lore tool for the Wizards, to spark interesting events in Middle-Earth, like handing out orders to the Society and the Army alike, and be the overall (NPC/Lore) leader of both guilds.

The Middle-Earth wizards really should sort out the glaring error of having the Witch-King be an actual player, and then having a seperate guild called the Army of Angmar, which is supposed to be that character's own personal army.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Trutblemma
Adventurer

Post by Trutblemma » 03 Jun 2010 13:54

I totally agree with Alorrana, you wanna lead, then join fully!!
//Emma's overseer

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/