Magic Map blanking out

General discussion about the Genesis Web Client located at https://www.genesismud.org/play/

Moderator: Eowul

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Amastacia
Greenhorne

Magic Map blanking out

Post by Amastacia » 06 Dec 2015 20:25

I'm new here, and I didn't know in which category this question fit best, so I'm putting it here.

I've noticed that while I'm exploring areas which have an active magic map available, stepping into some rooms makes the magic map blank out. For example: certain rooms on the main street in Argos, and also certain rooms in the new Terel magic map.

I was wondering if its a glitch, or if it is caused by some interface I'm using on my end (I play it on my browser), or if it is by design. Because it doesn't make sense for it to be by design, as I can see the entire map laid out in front of me anyway if I move a few steps this way or that.

Cherek
Site Admin

Re: Magic Map blanking out

Post by Cherek » 07 Dec 2015 03:20

Amastacia wrote:I'm new here, and I didn't know in which category this question fit best, so I'm putting it here.

I've noticed that while I'm exploring areas which have an active magic map available, stepping into some rooms makes the magic map blank out. For example: certain rooms on the main street in Argos, and also certain rooms in the new Terel magic map.

I was wondering if its a glitch, or if it is caused by some interface I'm using on my end (I play it on my browser), or if it is by design. Because it doesn't make sense for it to be by design, as I can see the entire map laid out in front of me anyway if I move a few steps this way or that.
The entire world is not magic mapped. It's an ongoing process.

For Terel, Britanica is currently working on mapping it, so until next armageddon (and possibly awhile after) there will be some blank areas until everything is complete.

When it comes to Argos, if it's just a room in the middle of the street that's blank, and the rooms next to it is not, it might be some type of bug. Please "mail aop" with and try to explain where exactly it happens. You can also type "bug" in the room, which creates a bugreport. (But please mail aop too if you do).

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 07 Dec 2015 08:38

I checked out the new maps in Terel... beautiful Britanica, well done :)

On topic - sometimes the magic map has 'blanks' due to duplicate room file names, with one of the rooms ending up dropping off the map. I know there are a few locations like that outside of Sparkle, and are particularly prevalent in regions with 'docks', like Palanthas and Newports. As far as I know the way to fix that is to make a new room with a different file name and reconnect it to ajoining rooms... which is a bit of a pain.

So that may be the reason for the occasional gaps in the map Amastacia.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 07 Dec 2015 11:05

Arman wrote:I checked out the new maps in Terel... beautiful Britanica, well done :)

On topic - sometimes the magic map has 'blanks' due to duplicate room file names, with one of the rooms ending up dropping off the map. I know there are a few locations like that outside of Sparkle, and are particularly prevalent in regions with 'docks', like Palanthas and Newports. As far as I know the way to fix that is to make a new room with a different file name and reconnect it to ajoining rooms... which is a bit of a pain.

And then you have the bug outside newports that makes you jump several rooms in the map.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Dec 2015 15:25

Arcon wrote:
Arman wrote:I checked out the new maps in Terel... beautiful Britanica, well done :)

And then you have the bug outside newports that makes you jump several rooms in the map.
Arcon: Uhm? What? Where?

Arman: Where in Sparkle? Renaming duplicate filenames should be doable unless there's a lot of them or there's some complex room system. Renaming dock-files might mess up ships though I suppose, so that probably needs to be done with care.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 07 Dec 2015 17:10

Cherek wrote:
Arcon wrote:

Arcon: Uhm? What? Where?

Arman: Where in Sparkle? Renaming duplicate filenames should be doable unless there's a lot of them or there's some complex room system. Renaming dock-files might mess up ships though I suppose, so that probably needs to be done with care.
Walk from newports south towards Pax looking at the map.

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 07 Dec 2015 17:42

I've found NewPorts to be one of the worst offenders. For some reasons it fixes itself for a while after Arma.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Dec 2015 18:36

Arcon: Ok, there two parts of the road the shows the pier map instead of the actual map. Ody/Arcon: Are there more places than that?

Ody: The reason it fixes itself after Armageddon might be because the room duplicate name thing doesnt become an issue until someone enter the duplicate room to load it... I think.

Arman: Like you said it's because the room names are the same. Another solution instead of renaming rooms would simply be to split the map into more files. For example make the Pax road map its own file. I could fix that, if you want? You are the one who made the maps right?:)

Ody
Hero

Post by Ody » 07 Dec 2015 19:13

Cherek: The Merchant quarter in Palanthas sometimes doesn't work. I haven't seen it not work since the Dwarf caves were added though. The four rooms east of the giants (the ones in a square formation) don't work. There aren't any others that I can think of though.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 07 Dec 2015 20:23

Ody: Giants? In Spakle?

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/