Only include player speech in communication window?

Report bugs and suggest new features for the web client here.

Moderator: Eowul

Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

Remove Non-Player Characters' speech from the communication window

Yes, there is too much spam.
69%
No, seeing NPC speech in chat box is useful.
15%
There is a better solution.
17%
Who cares?
No votes

Total votes: 48

Ody
Hero

Re: Only include player speech in communication window?

Post by Ody » 09 Mar 2016 03:12

How about adding things that don't show up (PoTs whisper thing for instance) before deciding what to cut?

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 09 Mar 2016 03:13

I am not sure how the game client works. I use cmud.

But in Cmud it is possible to capture things and put them into another window. It is easy to set up for text.

So I have the mud window. And all text shows there unless I gag it. And then I have the secondary window which shoots all text (usually player text or incoming spell tells) I choose to that screen.

It would be nice if all npcs had a difference to them, for each race mind you, that would distinguish them from all pc speech.

I do not know if that helps the game client though or if the game client can do that but if it cant it is very nice to have a seperate window.

One screen, I can play genesis, another see what players are saying and maps or my personal help files displayed. And on third screen whatever important task I need to do. Got to love modern gaming, no 7min cassette tape drive on my atari 400 to play space invaders (assuming no corruption causes you to rewind tape and redo the 7min load).

Mayobe
Adept

Post by Mayobe » 09 Mar 2016 07:26

Typical communication window contents:
The watching small male orc shouts: Invaders!! Invaders!!
The watching small male orc shouts: We are under attack!!
The watching small male orc shouts: Help! Intruders!
The watching small male orc shouts: Help! Intruders!
shouts: Invaders!! Invaders!!
shouts: We are under attack!!
shouts: Help! Intruders!
The evil squinty-eyed male orc says: The only thing elves are good for is dinner!
The nasty yellow-eyed male orc says: Men are worthless! Too stringy to eat and too hard to kill most of the time to be worth the effort.
SNR isn't feasible for party comms or for relevant NPC comms.

Addendum (in the interest of doing the trolls' work and testing the limits of insanity wherever they may lie)
The malevolent massive male orc says: If I wasn't stuck in this damn camp I could win this fight!
The grumpy squinty-eyed male orc says: If I wasn't stuck in this damn camp I could win this fight!

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 09 Mar 2016 17:22

Ugh. Yeah, that isn't good. Perhaps filtering all npc speech is the best and simplest message. Cotillion would be needed for comment on feasibility. Mercade, too, actually, if this deals with different protocols used for speech between interactive and non interactive characters.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

kirsach
Wanderer

Post by kirsach » 09 Mar 2016 17:32

It would be great if there would be such an option. Like gagmisses. In case someone make any quests or needs to talk to npc he can turn it on. And besides we talk only about communication window in java client and not switching npc'es talke at all from main window.

Vlek
Wanderer

Post by Vlek » 10 Mar 2016 05:36

gorboth wrote:Ugh. Yeah, that isn't good. Perhaps filtering all npc speech is the best and simplest message. Cotillion would be needed for comment on feasibility. Mercade, too, actually, if this deals with different protocols used for speech between interactive and non interactive characters.
There currently isn't anything in the webclient for filtering out NPC messages. The relevant code is here:

Code: Select all

$(document).ready(function() {
    $(mud).on("incoming_gmcp", function(a, b, c) {
        "comm.channel" == b && (el = $("<div/>").html(mud.Output.escapeHtml(c.message)),
            mud.settings.hangingIndent && el.addClass("hanging-indent"), box = $("#communication"), box.append(el), mud.Output.updateScroll())
    })
All it does is accept a message via GMCP, create a div with the message in it, and throw it all in the communications box. You'd need to add an object variable in the GMCP message being recieved that tracks the type of communication, and check what type it is to see whether it should be thrown in the communications box.

Hopefully, if you're going to go that far, you'd add the ability to create more communication window tabs, allow users to edit their names, and also allow users to set their own filters for each tab.

Also, there's an old issue with this system in that, because it's triggered as soon as the message is received (literally on GMCP received), it doesn't allow user triggers to act on it, either in coloring, changing, or removing text, and probably should be cubbyholed into the area of the script that puts communication in the main text div so that the messages thrown into the communications window can benefit from user scripts as well.

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 10 Mar 2016 14:13

Interesting Vlek and sort of what I was wondering.

Cmud has many flaws but manipulating the text isnt one of them (even into other windows).

An easy fix? giving text manipulating scripts priority over GMCP, cost of a few ms? no clue since I didnt develop it but it looks possibly easy to fix haha yeah but not having looked at the code I am guessing!

Vlek
Wanderer

Post by Vlek » 10 Mar 2016 16:11

Ydred wrote:An easy fix? giving text manipulating scripts priority over GMCP, cost of a few ms? no clue since I didnt develop it but it looks possibly easy to fix haha yeah but not having looked at the code I am guessing!
What you're talking about doing is having a player-side list of either monster names or player names to check against whenever there's incoming communication. You'd have to manually figure out what they are considering GMCP.room doesn't have GMCP.room.monsters, .players, or even a generic .mobiles with a sub json that describes their name, description, and whether the specified mobile is an NPC.

It'd be a ghetto-rigged setup that'd be a considerable amount of work for every player. Yes, you can use regular expressions to get out that there's something that looks like communication, but you can't also do so for whether the communication came from an NPC or player without some more information that either has to be provided by the player manually or by the server.

Ydred
Veteran

Post by Ydred » 10 Mar 2016 16:47

Yep. Which is pretty much how I have it set up in Cmud.

Some mobs are mostly unique so easy. Watching small orcs. But others take more effort to gag.

It would be nice if as was mentioned we just have an option to check. When you want npc language it shows for quests. And when you dont, which is the other 95%? You never see it regardless of client.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 10 Mar 2016 17:38

someone helped me once create a chat window in Cmud... I manually have to enter those who speech will show up there. So only works for people I bother to add. But It certainly helps to some degree.
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/