Just Saying Hello!

Feel free to introduce yourself to the community! Welcome!
Wurtan
Beginner

Just Saying Hello!

Post by Wurtan » 23 Oct 2018 20:23

I'm not really sure where the best place for this is, I didn't see an introductions thread anywhere, so I'll just place this here.

I just wanna say hi to the community, I've never played Genesis, or a MUD for that matter before yesterday, but I'm hooked. I've only tested the waters in this game a bit, but nothing in the past has felt like it would fill the void left by my high school days of Everquest like this has. I've been a lifelong fan of the Dragonlance series, so as soon as I wrap up the newbie area I'm heading straight to Ansalon!

Can't wait, thanks for everyone who's kept this game going all these years, I feel like I just found something I didn't even realize I was looking for.
Characters:
Rumli the Dwarf

Shanoga
Wizard

Re: Just Saying Hello!

Post by Shanoga » 23 Oct 2018 21:00

You're right about there not being a better place. Interesting. I thought we had an Introductions thread somewhere. Oh well, no matter. Thanks for starting one!

Glad to have you and glad that it is filling the void. I know the feeling. I have left Genesis and come back several times over the last 15 years, because nothing quite fills the void like Genesis. Even times when I consider going back to other things that worked temporarily (WoW and other graphical MMORPGs), I remember why they didn't stick - they aren't Genesis. Haha.

[Gorboth: I created the Introductions Forum Area, so now we're good!]

Wurtan
Beginner

Post by Wurtan » 23 Oct 2018 21:56

My experience with MMO's is primarily in Diablo 2, Everquest, and World of Warcraft. Had you asked me 15, 10, or even 5 years ago to try a text based game, I probably would have laughed at you.

The funny thing is though text based really makes a lot more sense in some regards.

Compare combat in Genesis with a graphic MMO and it's really no different, in a graphical game your cartoon guy may be flailing around on the screen, but what your really paying attention to is the text log showing hits, misses, etc. Plus now we're free of the tedium of being forced to watch said cartoon guy run for 10 minutes every time we want to go to a new zone, now we just type "n" and hit enter...

Sure, being able to point and click is nice in some regards, but I've found the transition to typing everything to actually be quite smooth. I'm still getting used to it a bit, and I have a lot of commands to learn still, but I've really felt the whole process has been pretty smooth easy to adapt to.

I'm really not sure how much desire I have to go back to a graphic based game, especially once I really get use to this method.
Characters:
Rumli the Dwarf

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 23 Oct 2018 23:46

Wurtan wrote: I just wanna say hi to the community, I've never played Genesis, or a MUD for that matter before yesterday, but I'm hooked. I've only tested the waters in this game a bit, but nothing in the past has felt like it would fill the void left by my high school days of Everquest like this has. I've been a lifelong fan of the Dragonlance series, so as soon as I wrap up the newbie area I'm heading straight to Ansalon!
Welcome fellow lifelong DL fan! :). Hope you enjoy that area! Dragonlance-themed content was some of the earliest content introduced to the game... and has been progressively added to over the last 25 years. And it is still being added to!

Tulasi
Beginner

Post by Tulasi » 27 Oct 2018 00:42

Arman wrote:
Wurtan wrote: I just wanna say hi to the community, I've never played Genesis, or a MUD for that matter before yesterday, but I'm hooked. I've only tested the waters in this game a bit, but nothing in the past has felt like it would fill the void left by my high school days of Everquest like this has. I've been a lifelong fan of the Dragonlance series, so as soon as I wrap up the newbie area I'm heading straight to Ansalon!
Welcome fellow lifelong DL fan! :). Hope you enjoy that area! Dragonlance-themed content was some of the earliest content introduced to the game... and has been progressively added to over the last 25 years. And it is still being added to!
I believe Solace was among the areas included when Genesis opened up with Domains rather than the original individual, almost unsupervised solo-wiz created areas, and I'm not even sure that was it's first existance, as I've heard rumours it was present even during the forementioned almost unsupervised coding.

And Wurtan, you might actually love how Dragonlance has been implemented on Genesis... it's very good, and people like Arman make sure that it's both up to scale with improvements to the game-engine and adding new and fancy stuff on a regular basis! If you're really focused on being a magic user, I'm sure I'll see you again in game!

Tulasi of the White Order at the Tower of Wayreth

Code: Select all

What's up with every big-player area being alignment nerfed from evil mobs to neutral or almost neutral while the good mobs stay good?

Examples like Ghastly Keep undeads and Terel Trolls can be mentioned on the "why are these almost neutral?"

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 27 Oct 2018 03:50

You are thinking of Neraka, Tulasi. Solace (which came later) was actually Arman's apprenticeship project back when he first wizzed. He created it when we first opened Ansalon under the wizard Jeremiah. That was in around 1995-1996. The domain concept was birthed in late 92 early 93.

Neraka had a much earlier version than the current area, which was part of a much smaller Krynn that I enjoyed adventuring in when I first started playing. Tika is the first npc I remember meeting in the Inn of the Last Home! :-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Arman
Wizard

Post by Arman » 27 Oct 2018 05:29

gorboth wrote:You are thinking of Neraka, Tulasi. Solace (which came later) was actually Arman's apprenticeship project back when he first wizzed. He created it when we first opened Ansalon under the wizard Jeremiah. That was in around 1995-1996. The domain concept was birthed in late 92 early 93.

Neraka had a much earlier version than the current area, which was part of a much smaller Krynn that I enjoyed adventuring in when I first started playing. Tika is the first npc I remember meeting in the Inn of the Last Home! :-)

G.
Neraka which is now Tantallon :). Solace I think was coded by one of the original developers Nick, and later recoded to what we now are familiar with by Rastlin? Consisted of a couple of rooms, including the Inn of the Last Home, the Knights and gnome guild (the former of which moved to Vingaard Keep), the graveyard, "Neraka", and later Xak Tsaroth.

My apprentice project was actually Flotsam, back in 1994 or 1995 back when there were two domains focusing on Dragonlance. I was in the domain focusing on the eastern part of the continent, and wasn't allowed to play in the western part that included Solace and Palanthas :).

Raelle
Great Adventurer

Post by Raelle » 27 Oct 2018 06:41

Arman wrote:Neraka which is now Tantallon
boggle
I love it! more history!

Daerin
Apprentice

Post by Daerin » 27 Oct 2018 07:15

There used to be a dragon that flew between Solance and Vingard Keep and a nother one from Vingard Keep. There was another dragon that flew somewhere but I can't remember. The griffon took you to Icewall at least.

I remember old Neraka, I used to go there to fight draconians when I started playing.

So Arman, you made the most killed NPC in the game? Poor Kernan. Many years ago as a gladiator I used Shale as a check-point. I considered myself big enough if I could wake up with no eq and end the day with killing (bouncing) him for his cleaver. I so remember me and a friend spending easily 30 min bouncing Shale for his cleaver.... :)

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 27 Oct 2018 23:48

D'oh! I get Solace and Flotsam's names confused. Of course Solace was the old Krynn area newbies played in back in the day. *blush*

I'm a Tolkien nerd and a Dragonlance noob. :P

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/