More community ideas to promote Genesis

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Makfly
Champion

Re: More community ideas to promote Genesis

Post by Makfly » 13 Aug 2010 08:41

I like it. It looks alot better than the AutoRealms ones, and a solid foundation to build upon.

Still not quite monochrome enough for me, and I think it needs a bit more...stuff on it. Mountains/hills/castles, not much, just some. Also a new font. Lighter colours of the "parchment" would be nice too.

Anyways, I got some good ressources to include, both fonts and brushes, so if you can convert what you have already to GIMP and still have it be a simple way to create maps, I think we're just about in business. :)
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 13 Aug 2010 09:34

Cherek,

How are we going to _maintain_ these maps?

Consider a guildhall moving within a continent. Or a village opening/closing?
How shall we edit something that is any easy reshuffle of icons in a mapmaker?

T.
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 13 Aug 2010 10:48

Ideally the maps on the website would be convertible :mrgreen: to ASCII maps in the game and vice-versa.
So if a wizard changes the area within the game, it automagically updates the map on the website.
Also ideally the ASCII maps within the game would be created automatically (to some degree) based on the settings in the code of the rooms.

Cherek's map look quite good in my opinion but are hard to maintain.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 13 Aug 2010 16:09

tapakah wrote:Cherek,

T.
My template IS like a mapmaker, but easier. You just reshuffle an icon in my template-file too. I'd say its easier in my file since the interface is much simpler than in Autorealms or Carthographer. Also Gimp/Photoshop are programs that wont get "old" either. They will most likely be around for the forseable future on all platforms. Autorealms or other mapmaking software... not as certain at all.

Do you have Photoshop (CS3 or above) Tapakah? I can send you the file and you'll see how easy it is. If you dont, I can fix a Gimp file for you. That is, if you would consider "my way"?

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 13 Aug 2010 16:18

sharn wrote:Ideally the maps on the website would be convertible :mrgreen: to ASCII maps in the game and vice-versa.
So if a wizard changes the area within the game, it automagically updates the map on the website.
Also ideally the ASCII maps within the game would be created automatically (to some degree) based on the settings in the code of the rooms.

Cherek's map look quite good in my opinion but are hard to maintain.
Could we stick to realastic suggestions perhaps?:) You wanna rewrite room code for entire genesis and then work on a system that converts that to ascii maps, AND, to graphical ones? Uh...

And thanks for judging my maps as hard to maintain. I assume you have very good knowledge about Photoshop/Gimp templates and how they work? Then please explain WHY my maps are hard to maintain, perhaps I am missing something? (Not mocking, I'd like to know, since you seem so sure).

Rhynox
Titan

Post by Rhynox » 13 Aug 2010 18:57

I remember playing with an ASCII map maker that was able to convert the map into rooms for Circle MUD. Not the same, but it was fun to play with it.

Tapakah
Wizard

Post by Tapakah » 13 Aug 2010 19:51

Cherek wrote:
tapakah wrote:Cherek,

T.
My template IS like a mapmaker, but easier. You just reshuffle an icon in my template-file too. I'd say its easier in my file since the interface is much simpler than in Autorealms or Carthographer. Also Gimp/Photoshop are programs that wont get "old" either. They will most likely be around for the forseable future on all platforms. Autorealms or other mapmaking software... not as certain at all.

Do you have Photoshop (CS3 or above) Tapakah? I can send you the file and you'll see how easy it is. If you dont, I can fix a Gimp file for you. That is, if you would consider "my way"?
Of course I haven't Photoshop. I hope it works well in gimp.
Please send me a sample map with instructions - if I find it simple, flexible and maintainable enough, I haven't a problem with switching.
But I have a question then - if the graphic software became so powerful and easy, why do mapmakers still survive?

T.
We love self criticism - L. F. Vunyukov, "The Tale of the Troika".

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 13 Aug 2010 20:24

How should I know if you have Photoshop or not? Just asking...:)

I'll fix a Gimp version with instructions for you during the weekend.

To answer you question,
Making a mapmaking template isnt easy. It requires pretty good knowledge and creativity in using Gimp/Photoshop. When it has been made, its easy to maintain it for anyone. But creating it is the hard task, so thats why mapmakers still survive I'd say.

But most serious and good looking maps are made in Photoshop / are hand drawn I think. I am not saying mapmakers are useless though, I just think this way will provide a better result while being as easy, or easier.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 13 Aug 2010 20:40

What you did there Cherek looks really good.
For future, there are just 2 beefs I have with it:
1. Green Oaks is way closer to Sparkle (as in, more SW from Sparkle than W).
2. I don't think adding too much land around things is a good idea... Despite it looking good, it may confuse people into thinking that there's something there while in fact there isn't.

Overall, great job ;)
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 14 Aug 2010 00:02

Cherek,

I commend you on these efforts. GREAT work! The map is certainly attractive and, if easy to use/maintain, perhaps something we could put to use.

This is a big IF, and one that Tapakah would need to judge for himself.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/