Global chat channel(s) for all or limited ?

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Uther
Great Adventurer

Global chat channel(s) for all or limited ?

Post by Uther » 13 Aug 2010 02:57

Greetings all.

I don't know if this might be a good idea or not but I will post it and see what you think.
Most of the players that is new or returning experience the mud as "dead". Since there
are hardly anyone they run into, or very little people online during their time of play.
And since people are allready using MSN/ICQ/SKYPE/VENT/TEAMSPEK/TALK/NTALK/
INSERT_WHATEVER_DWARFTELL_HERE/ to gain advantage, to keep contact or whatever
I don't think the second idea isn't that bad after all.

The newbie line exists for newbies only and their helpers just for newbies to get hints
and help if they get stuck on something or need to ask other things.

Global Channel
What I wanna see is maybe a global chat channel for all, so the mud feels more alive,
attract more players, yes there are a lot of shitflingers out there that wont be able to
keep their "tounges" in order and write a lot of BS. Yes, it might take away a portion of the
roleplay of the game. But those who doesn't wanna read all the chit chat they don't have
to join the channel either. channeljoin global/world/xxxxxx. Make it cost mana, if you type
to much it will drain a lot(2-3 steps in %, we all have different INT values) for each
message you write. That is prolly a way to get around the "shitflingers". Writing DA is
attacking VK on global/world channel when it happens or not, should be in my eyes PUNISHABLE.
Or like Irk is killing the Yeti gogogo and kill him.. also PUNISHABLE Well keep such messages
to the guild channels.

Guild Channel
Another thing that I think can be implemented is a guild channel for each OCC guilds, I know
it should cost tax, in the old manuals of coding a guild I think it was 2 % tax for their own channel.
It will help the guilds to be more alive, it will help all the guilds in PvP situations to rally their
players faster, that is both good and bad, but since we seem to encourage PvP is it such a bad
idea ? It will bring the players among the guilds closer and will be more fun to be in a guild that
is active. I know there are guilds that can communicate between one player to another with certain abilities.
But this way all the guild members sees it at the same time and can help, assist, etc etc much faster and
perhaps it will make the players feel more welcome in a guild. I am not sure either a channel will fit a guild
themewise, I mean like Gladiators, but heck let's try it and see where it leads. I don't know if there are guilds
that has a specific guildchannel allready.

There are 2 guilds that offers layman slots atm Dragon Order, and Army of Angmar. They should of
course be able to talk in their occ guild channel. Wonder if Templar Knights of Takhisis in some way should
be able to communicate on some channel with PoT. If the shitfling starts on the guild channel I assume
the councils of each guild will take care of that. But if it is council that shitflings.. OMG run run run awaaaay..

I know there are different ways to sending all kind of messengers to eachother. Still I don't think
they will be useless, of course a BDA/AA will have advantage due to being in 2 guilds and have opurtunity
and can spread information fast. This goes for all that are in 2 guilds. Also people teaming from different
guilds and talking can spread the information quickly on their own guild channel. This might be the backdraft
of it due to it takes away a bit of the surprise moment, roleplay, and you_should_not_really_know_it_happens
moment. But heck people use dwarftells to communicate anyhow to inform eachother what is happening so
what is the difference really ?

But if this can help increasing the playerbase of Genesis, is it such a bad idea then ?

EDIT: Perhaps this one should have gone to the suggestion box. But it is about promoting Genesis to be more
alive and therefor make people stay.
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Maizara

Re: Global chat channel(s) for all or limited ?

Post by Maizara » 13 Aug 2010 05:34

Its been suggested before and most people are completely against it and I believe it's been said it would never happen.

Good idea? Yeah I think so, it would sure make new players feel like there are actually people in the game. Just seeing it on the who list doesn't always cut it, Genesis is unique in that aspect when compared to many of the top MUDs with a high playerbase.

I can actually count the number of muds that I have played that don't have some form of a Global, Guild or OOC channel on one hand. I myself talk with alot of people on icq and such and even still most of the time we ask that the other still send some form of mail or tell spell just to get the role playing started.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 13 Aug 2010 11:07

Let me just say No, no, no and no!
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Tive
Rising Hero

Post by Tive » 13 Aug 2010 11:13

if you want a chat then install the chat mod for phpBB here on the official forum. At least all can see it and the history is kept so it's easy to notice if someone is abusing it. And i guess people don't keep mud client in full screen mode so you can see both at once.

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 13 Aug 2010 11:34

amberlee wrote:Let me just say No, no, no and no!
Care to motivate why ?
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 13 Aug 2010 11:51

Uther wrote:
amberlee wrote:Let me just say No, no, no and no!
Care to motivate why ?

Except the obvious you mean?
This isnt World of Genesis.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 13 Aug 2010 13:14

I'll co-sign that. No no no.
Call me an escapist or an addict all you like but I want to be in Genesis not a chat program where I am playing some game vs another group of players. Then I might as well log on to.. I dont know letsallplaybingo.org or weethis issolitaire.com.
No I say :)
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Fourtcoer
Wanderer

Post by Fourtcoer » 13 Aug 2010 15:35

No. One of the things that makes Genesis feel unique is that it is immersive in ambiance. A bunch of public chat channels totally disrupts that.

If people truly feel the need, add a chat room link to the web site.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 13 Aug 2010 16:23

I'll join the no-sayers for reasons already mentioned.

Forum chat. Sure, I liked it when Adriels forum had a chat. In-game. No. I like Genesis partly because it doesnt have a chat which makes is pretty unique. Gives you a more "realistic" and somewhat uncertain feeling about what to encounter which I like.

Anahita
Adventurer

Post by Anahita » 13 Aug 2010 19:03

Echoing the "no." I'd never use it, nor would I pay attention to it, and this is why Anahita is not a "newbie helper" either, because I found the chat super annoying. Its just too disruptive to the joy of immersing myself in play.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/