Global chat channel(s) for all or limited ?

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Arcon

Re: Global chat channel(s) for all or limited ?

Post by Arcon » 13 Aug 2010 20:03

Another big NO!

I even think that the newbie-line should make it so helpers can't see other helpers, just newbies. I've seen people use it just to list people, they put on the pin then list and then take it off. But I guess that is a new (or old) thread.

Titan

Post by Avatar » 13 Aug 2010 20:28

NO!

Want to know why?

Take the time and do a search on the topic.
Angmar! ANGMAR!! ANGMAR!!!
Pulp Znuga! PULP!!!!

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 14 Aug 2010 00:02

Last edited by Alorrana on 31 Aug 2010 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Trutblemma
Adventurer

Post by Trutblemma » 14 Aug 2010 00:10

A super big NO that will echo for weeks...Gen has a lot of ways for contact. It does NOT need more.
//Emma's overseer

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 14 Aug 2010 00:28

Uther,

It is an important question to ask, so I am glad you did. I am encouraged that the general consensus among players is in line with what the Administration also feels is best. That being ...

Gorboth: Err ... no.
Stern: Nononononono!!
Luke Skywalker: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

There is actually a reason for this that is fully grounded in not only Genesis history, but also the philosophy behind this history that was put in place very early on in the development of the game. Two main concepts govern this philosophy:

Persistent immersion and suspension of disbelief.

The majority of muds, from the beginning of the genre, have thrown all sorts of information at the screen. Character statistics displayed in numerical units with vibrant colors, character position on a grid-like ascii map, global shouts piping constant banter from the playerbase, hitpoint damage with each combat swing, etc etc.

Genesis elected to go a different route with a clear purpose in mind. We wanted players to experience the game exclusively through descriptions in the English language. The thought then was, and remains today, that such a method creates a more believable, emotional, (dare we say) realistic connection to the events that befall you in the world. It helps things feel less like a game and more like an experience that relates to you as an actual entity - a being with the human spark (tm.) We decided that numbers make you feel more like ... well, a number yourself.

The same principle applied to global shout/chats. Where were these voices coming from? Are all beings in Genesis part of a hive mind? No? Then why do they hear one another? The decision was that global communication was something only wizards would possess, to be used only for important purposes for the sake of maintenance, etc. This was in-line with the idea of persistent immersion, as wizards are thought to be beings of immense magical prowess, and thus realistically able to do odd powerful things like mass-communication. For players, though, we leave these things to spells, mail, couriers, etc. To break that law would be to throw that level of immersion that has been carefully developed and maintained over the years out the window.

To be honest, I had a very negative gut feeling even about the newbie line when it was proposed and implemented. I was not an admin at the time, and thus didn't have a say in its original inclusion in the game. I have relented to thinking it is a necessary evil due to the need to make the experience for our truly new players one that is as friendly and helpful as possible. I have been continuously encouraged, too, by the fact that many many players take it upon themselves to be newbie helpers and regularly work the line to assist the new characters that are created on the order of 3 - 5 a day. The line is rarely abused in any overly obnoxious way, and thus, it has had a positive rather than negative overall effect.

However, once one graduates from newbie status, we want the curtain of immersion and the suspension to be drawn. This is something that I suspect will not change in the foreseeable future.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Mersereau
Champion

Post by Mersereau » 14 Aug 2010 00:42

gorboth wrote:Uther,

It is an important question to ask, so I am glad you did. I am encouraged that the general consensus among players is in line with what the Administration also feels is best. That being ...

Gorboth: Err ... no.
Stern: Nononononono!!
Luke Skywalker: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF_lJTGKFP0&NR=1
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."
-Mel Brooks

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 14 Aug 2010 11:19

Make it and leave it unenabled...untill Wiz-weekends and Bring-Back-Players weekends come around, then enable it and let people have fun and communicate across the divides that exsist in "normal play".
It'll help let the hopefully returning players communicate with the community and also help make a Wiz-day/weekend more fun and OCC than everyday life in Genesis.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 14 Aug 2010 15:07

Are people answering NO to the global chat channel or guild channel or to both ?
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

myrset
Novice

Post by myrset » 14 Aug 2010 18:37

I'm saying no to both global and guild channel.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 14 Aug 2010 19:19

Uther wrote:Are people answering NO to the global chat channel or guild channel or to both ?
Both are inappropriate for Genesis for all the reasons I explained above. Some guilds have communication via enchanted artifacts, spells, etc. That is fine, but it is rarely if ever a mass-shout to the guild even then. Rather, it is one-to-one communication except in rare instances.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/