Where did the promotion campaign go?

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
petros
Site Admin

Re: Where did the promotion campaign go?

Post by petros » 19 Jan 2011 02:19

petros wrote:
Cherek wrote:Celephias: I suggested newbie helpers get a message when newbies log in and out before. Perhaps it can be implemented! That would indeed help us to "catch" the true newbies.

*nudge gorboth*
I like this idea. Should make those who are really interested in pursuing helping newbies an easy way to really help them. I'll see about making this happen in the next week or so.
I added the functionality to when newbies log in. But not when they log out. Please send me feedback on how it helps or not.

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 19 Jan 2011 11:33

While you're at it, could you also do it so helpers can't list each others?
Only newbies can see the helpers and the helpers can ONLY see the newbies.

Thanks

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 19 Jan 2011 11:36

petros wrote:
petros wrote:
Cherek wrote:Celephias: I suggested newbie helpers get a message when newbies log in and out before. Perhaps it can be implemented! That would indeed help us to "catch" the true newbies.

*nudge gorboth*
I like this idea. Should make those who are really interested in pursuing helping newbies an easy way to really help them. I'll see about making this happen in the next week or so.
I added the functionality to when newbies log in. But not when they log out. Please send me feedback on how it helps or not.
Goodie! I promise to jump a first newbie who logs on my duty!

Arcon

Post by Arcon » 19 Jan 2011 12:01

Please don't "attack" the newbies with help, money and free grind. Don't seem so desperate, that is just counter productive.
Offer help ONCE, don't insist. Give hints, let the newbie work some, they have to feel that they have managed to do something. Don't take them to grind Faerun or Mithas etc, take them somewhere they dare to assist. Take them to krougs or something. Don't make them into spoiled little brats.

btw, I think that there are two things that makes a newbie have fun and stay. A good game, we have that. And other newbies. What do you think they enjoy most, grinding Faerun, getting 5 fantastic without being able to assist or three or four newbies discussing tactics on how to manage to kill the troloby with the bardiche and almost die trying but after an hour of battle and healing they manage?
The newbies wants to join up with big people and grow with the speed of light, but I don't think that is good. There is no feeling of accoplishment in it. If they get too used to it, then if they don't get those five fantastic they see it as a failure. And we would teach them that you only team to gain xp or progress faster. Challenges that they can overcome is what will make this game a interesting part of the game.

This is of course just my opinion.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 19 Jan 2011 12:07

I completely agree Arcon.

However most newbies are not true newbies but really new characters of experienced players who gladly want the free XP, and ask for it, in Faerun/Mithas/Etc. Often "newbies" join up, hardly say a word for 5 hours (like the rest of the team) then leave with 20+ fantas happy.

But for the true newbie, I agree with you. Throwing tons of platinum and free XP in a quiet team on triggers isnt that helpful, probably the opposite.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 19 Jan 2011 17:59

With the new restrictions on Holm (can't get in below certain size) they've taken away a nice spot for adept+ characters to get a piece of action (and gems from small trolobies).
Krougs aren't such a great idea as they won't dare attack bigger players and newbies will get attacked instead. Also, if a newbie will happen to land a killing blow the spectre is going to attack them.

But I agree with the general idea.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 19 Jan 2011 18:21

Cherek wrote:I completely agree Arcon.

However most newbies are not true newbies but really new characters of experienced players who gladly want the free XP, and ask for it, in Faerun/Mithas/Etc. Often "newbies" join up, hardly say a word for 5 hours (like the rest of the team) then leave with 20+ fantas happy.

But for the true newbie, I agree with you. Throwing tons of platinum and free XP in a quiet team on triggers isnt that helpful, probably the opposite.
I agree to an extent at this point and time. I mean you really cannot do anything until you reach about wanderer and can start doing the small Shire orcs. Then your able to get some exp and cash but until that point is pretty difficult unless you spend hours upon hours just to feel like you accomplished nothing through herbing, tours ect.

Hopefully that will change with the new dungeons being added.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 19 Jan 2011 18:35

I couldn't agree with Arcon more. For a *true* newbie, robbing them of the opportunity to feel their own success and win some first struggles of their own merit and accord (i.e. initial gameplay) is to rob them of an experience they won't ever have again. If their first impressions of a game, and a mud in general, are massive textual combat spam while they don't know what is even happening, I can't imagine that is a great thing.

What I think is the most important thing is for newbies to feel that there is a community of active, interested, and supportive persons who will help them with encouragement, advice, and teaming if they should so desire.

And - I think we are doing a fantastic job at this! I am so happy with the way the newbie line has worked out. Arcon's advice is awesome, but way to go newbie helpers!

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 19 Jan 2011 21:14

Hmmmm. I've seen this "mentoring" system on Everquest 2.
Its is a system that allows you to team with smaller people, solve quests that you are too big to do, etc.
What it does? Simply makes you small :)
Would be fun to have it in genesis - I would go for it.
Would be great to be newbie again!

One thing to consider - it is easy to die that way.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 20 Jan 2011 04:43

sharn wrote:Hmmmm. I've seen this "mentoring" system on Everquest 2.
Its is a system that allows you to team with smaller people, solve quests that you are too big to do, etc.
What it does? Simply makes you small :)
Would be fun to have it in genesis - I would go for it.
Would be great to be newbie again!

One thing to consider - it is easy to die that way.
Wow, Sharn ... you are quite well on the way to describing a key aspect of the newbie grinder dungeon. ;-)

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/