Where did the promotion campaign go?

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Rhaegar
Legend

Re: Where did the promotion campaign go?

Post by Rhaegar » 20 Jan 2011 04:56

Newbie grinder dungeon or grinder dungeon for newbies? Ahh, the magic of words ;)

And before you add some new content, perhaps you could just expand some of the already existing ones? Speaking of the novice-apprentice soloable mobs, which are fairly easy to access and dropping loot that's actually worth something (since the hardest part is getting started, when you get your skills to this sup amateur and sup layman levels you're golden, before that it's a nightmare).
What I have in mind here is:
1. Sparkle orcs getting a slight boost in the amount of loot they possess.
2. Calian satyrs hitting the demographic boom.
3. Some pointers as to the water-kroug lair whereabouts (Xorfin and other npcs mentioning them from time to time or something).
4. Shops having better rates for younglings perhaps? It's not like they can carry a lot of loot or find a lot of useful herbs and if they're gonna herb or loot for an hour or two just to sell it for a couple of coppers a piece it really makes it feel pointless. You know, I don't mind that a quick run for loot earns me just enough money to improve my sword skill by 1 level because when you're a master swordsman it doesn't matter as much as before. Now if a newbie can improve his primary combat skill from apprentice amateur to amateur after he killed 20 mobs and sold his loot, then I think something is wrong with it.
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Creed

Post by Creed » 20 Jan 2011 10:30

Personally I think the dungeon is a great idea.
Specially if us big people cannot enter.

I think the idea with the orcs in Faerie was great, but sadly it was more used by ogres and neidar to make skulls and cash, which I cannot imagine was the original plan.

So a place where only people up to adventurer or something can enter, seems like a great idea. Then they can also be sure to get those interesting adventures with other newbies, to teach them how they fight best, without just looking at myths and legends plowing through trolls or other some such.

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 20 Jan 2011 12:29

gorboth wrote:
sharn wrote:Hmmmm. I've seen this "mentoring" system on Everquest 2.
Its is a system that allows you to team with smaller people, solve quests that you are too big to do, etc.
What it does? Simply makes you small :)
Would be fun to have it in genesis - I would go for it.
Would be great to be newbie again!

One thing to consider - it is easy to die that way.
Wow, Sharn ... you are quite well on the way to describing a key aspect of the newbie grinder dungeon. ;-)

G.
Would you mind to reveal a bit more? :mrgreen:

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 20 Jan 2011 13:32

Creed wrote:Personally I think the dungeon is a great idea.

I think the idea with the orcs in Faerie was great, but sadly it was more used by ogres and neidar to make skulls and cash, which I cannot imagine was the original plan.

So a place where only people up to adventurer or something can enter, seems like a great idea. Then they can also be sure to get those interesting adventures with other newbies, to teach them how they fight best, without just looking at myths and legends plowing through trolls or other some such.
The problem with the orcs I think it they are too big! They are not for newbies but for adventurers or above. They hit pretty hard. Its for greenhorne-wanderer we seriously lack content, orcs just added some more content for a group of players that already have things to kill in various places.

Yes people use them for money and skulls too, but not that many do so there are plenty of orcs for newbies as well. If they were a bit smaller.

Anyway, we're getting a dungeon now so I guess orcs can stay the way they are. Perhaps it will be a natural step up from the newbie dungeon to the orcs?

Trutblemma
Adventurer

Post by Trutblemma » 20 Jan 2011 14:06

It would be great if it was possible to see if the newbie was a true newbie and not just someone's second. I don't mind helping seconds, but to waste time on teaching and showing basic stuff to a player that probably knows more about the game than I...well, it's not fun. Meeting them a month later and realize they grown past me.... really discouraging. I'm not the type that _has_ to reach myth within 6 months, obviously :D It's taken me 4 years to reach titan, but still.

Finding out that the newbie you helped really didn't need it, kind of makes me hesitate to try again. It's easy to bring a newbie around for exp but it takes effort and time to actually explain and show things. That feels totally wasted on those who impose as true newbies from the start.
//Emma's overseer

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 20 Jan 2011 14:15

Cherek wrote:
Creed wrote:Personally I think the dungeon is a great idea.

The problem with the orcs I think it they are too big! They are not for newbies but for adventurers or above. They hit pretty hard. Its for greenhorne-wanderer we seriously lack content, orcs just added some more content for a group of players that already have things to kill in various places.

Yes people use them for money and skulls too, but not that many do so there are plenty of orcs for newbies as well. If they were a bit smaller.

Anyway, we're getting a dungeon now so I guess orcs can stay the way they are. Perhaps it will be a natural step up from the newbie dungeon to the orcs?
Orcs are pretty big and typically players up to around expert level will lack discipline to attack those orcs.
Even if they do manage to attack, most of them will be torn to pieces in a matter of seconds if they end up tanking :mrgreen:
Orcs are also aggresive.
To sum things up, Faerun orcs are quite dangerous for smaller players.

Lizardman are doable for players around great adventurer, though.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 20 Jan 2011 14:25

Not Faerun orcs Sharn! We're speaking of Faerie orcs.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 20 Jan 2011 16:40

Petros: The buzzing of the newbie pin is great and seems to work fine. Thanks for adding it so quickly.

Rhaegar
Legend

Post by Rhaegar » 20 Jan 2011 18:33

Cherek wrote:Not Faerun orcs Sharn! We're speaking of Faerie orcs.
I have trouble with those orcs at veteran...
I fear no evil for I am fear incarnate.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 20 Jan 2011 19:22

Rhaegar: You do? Well then adventurer is probably the absolute minimum, and if you have trouble as veteran perhaps a well-skilled and well-equipped adventurer could take down some of the single ones outside the towers. At best.

Well then we have established they are not only too big for newbies but way too big for newbies. :)

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/