Promotion of Genesis

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zestana
Expert

Re: Promotion of Genesis

Post by Zestana » 03 May 2011 07:51

In less than a single day however we've gone from not even being in the top 100 to being #32.....

I think this shows great promise and we should encourage other (if not all!) players to vote for Genesis on at least one of those sites daily.

All it does is take a click. Perhaps an arch could send out a mail or a tell on a daily basis to remind everyone awake at the current time to vote for Genesis if they already did not?

Padraig
Wanderer

Post by Padraig » 03 May 2011 14:06

#26 now.

I see on the "big list" that we don't have any commentary. We're the only game that doesn't have at least SOMETHING written to give the people a reason to click "info".

Example:

Aardwolf MUD
Big enough to have a real community, small enough to still care. Constant innovation. Detailed and extensive academy. Real-time line of sight overhead map, realistic world system, several hundred players online, hundreds of features, pure and simple fun.

Us:

Genesis

Anyone notice anything wrong with that? (If I had access, I'd write something.)
Manglor, Zauhak, Padraig

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 03 May 2011 14:39

Were so good only one word is needed

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 03 May 2011 14:54

Think problem is the Nostalgia or how its spelled..

People want genesis to be what it was back in the glorydays.. WOOT! gen was awsome back then. Because...there wasnt all these ubercool games with insaino grafics people could play then.. and the world simply changed for us.. people wanted old and new in one.. but not willing to make the CHANGE.. genesis needs to cast its past away, and move boldly into the future.. Its cool to have history and all, but we cant linger in the past no more.. Genesis needs to keep up with the other muds.. Its that simple.. Almost all other places you can speak with players on line via chat lines and what not.. Here you get warned if you chatter to much and an angry wizard comes down.. and yells at you.. many new players have complained about this and then said, Ill just go back to the mud where i can talk with my buddies then.. and we lost them.. People want to talk, share stories and what not in game.. why not let them.. and have an chat on off option.. so for those who wants to linger in the past and think everything was soooo great then can do it, and those who wants to move ahead into the future and speak with people can do it.. Pbase has lowered it self through the years.. lower and lower and lower.. and we all go.. Hey we got a new toy ! and really not caring about players.. because the less players there are, the more xp and gear there is for me.. thats how genesis is today.. We need to move onwards.. yes genesis was great.. when there was nothing els.. now you have the whole world in your screen and living room.. we need to make genesis a part of that world again.. And not by getting old players back.. they come, make a mess and leave.. we need people that cares.. showing others the mud and say hey this is a really cool mud.. and then so on... FORGET THE PAST NOW.. Let it inspire a new genesis.. but do not linger in the past.. then people will not come..
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Calador
Wizard

Post by Calador » 03 May 2011 16:55

So you want us to do it like they do with MMORPGs ? WoW is very successful so we make our game into
a clone of that. You really want Genesis to change into that ?

I've been here for a very long time. Many things have changed over the years, and some have remained
almost as they were 20 years ago. The chatline thing has been discussed before, and been voted off.
What we can offer people is a HUGE amount of content. If they want to sit on a global chat, they can
play WoW or go on an IRC chat.
Genesis is one of the oldest MUDs out there. We have a history of doing things our own way, and one of
those things have been a pretty strict roleplaying policy. A global chat does not fit into that.

There are ways to make a MUD more accessible to newcomers, but it doesn't have to include a chat.
I'll not start ranting about what I think could be done, because it all takes time to implement, and I have
no plans on returning to wizhood to do it myself :)

Regards,
Maldraedior

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 03 May 2011 17:09

Alorrana wrote:Think problem is the Nostalgia or how its spelled..

People want genesis to be what it was back in the glorydays.. WOOT! gen was awsome back then. Because...there wasnt all these ubercool games with insaino grafics people could play then.. and the world simply changed for us.. people wanted old and new in one.. but not willing to make the CHANGE.. genesis needs to cast its past away, and move boldly into the future.. Its cool to have history and all, but we cant linger in the past no more.. Genesis needs to keep up with the other muds.. Its that simple.. Almost all other places you can speak with players on line via chat lines and what not.. Here you get warned if you chatter to much and an angry wizard comes down.. and yells at you.. many new players have complained about this and then said, Ill just go back to the mud where i can talk with my buddies then.. and we lost them.. People want to talk, share stories and what not in game.. why not let them.. and have an chat on off option.. so for those who wants to linger in the past and think everything was soooo great then can do it, and those who wants to move ahead into the future and speak with people can do it.. Pbase has lowered it self through the years.. lower and lower and lower.. and we all go.. Hey we got a new toy ! and really not caring about players.. because the less players there are, the more xp and gear there is for me.. thats how genesis is today.. We need to move onwards.. yes genesis was great.. when there was nothing els.. now you have the whole world in your screen and living room.. we need to make genesis a part of that world again.. And not by getting old players back.. they come, make a mess and leave.. we need people that cares.. showing others the mud and say hey this is a really cool mud.. and then so on... FORGET THE PAST NOW.. Let it inspire a new genesis.. but do not linger in the past.. then people will not come..
Maybe not the easiest post to read, but I certainly agree with the message. :)

The future is not the "old guard", so focus on getting more players in above all else.
Catering to the current playerbase is fine, but the highest priority should be vitalizing the game by bringing in new players and ensuring the game has a sustainable future, so the same old problems don't also continue to plague Genesis the next 10 years into the future.

PS: I don't think we need chatlines, but please, please STOP using "WoW" as some kind of conversation stopper.
You can learn ALOT from other games out there, without making Genesis a World of Warcraft text game. Bringing up WoW like that, is the MUD-version of Godwin'ing the conversation. So, please. No more of that.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 03 May 2011 17:09

no no, I dont want to super futurish genesis. not at all. but the game needs to move forward with time.. As i said the past was great, but we will never see those days again, most due to the players that made the past isnt there.. we all as a whole have to Rp more, and show our new ones a serious good time.. :)

Makfly Yeah.. kinda just let the brain fart away there in that text.. as I usually do :D remember.. I have the mad cow syndrom..
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

Zestana
Expert

Post by Zestana » 03 May 2011 18:36

Regarding various promotion strategies, I wonder if it would be possible on character creation to add a "what brought you to genesis" part.

Then on the list would be things such as Mud ranking website, friend, and/or anything else that might be done in promoting the game, so that we could see what strategies are working best and which are not?

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 03 May 2011 20:24

Yes, we need to promote Genesis. Yes, players should take a huge part in this. And it looks great to see Genesis climbing up that ladder.

But: Though I feel we players should do our (major) part of the promotion, I'd like to get some go-ahead and pointers from the immortal staff, to say how and when. Something like a common board note saying:
"PROMOTE GENESIS!
Time to get new players! Please, everyone, go to our NEW homepage: <link>, and use the 5 promotion links there to vote for Genesis. We have listed how many times per day you can vote. Please vote as often as possible, and let's all make a big effort to put Genesis on a top position.
Also check out the topic 'Genesis position', and put your own post with the current numbers, once you have voted.
Finally, have a look at the other links on our NEW homepage. If you have time to write a review (preferably a positive one) and post it in those locations, we'd be very grateful.
Please, everyone. Let's make a major effort now, to put Genesis back in the rankings, on the map, and in the mind of every mud player out there."

However, I believe there is a stress-test planned for the near future, which might be better to wait for.
Also, I really feel we need to have the NEW homepage up & running. If it's not still in the beginning phase, how about just bring up the pages we have? Keep the unfinished pages closed, with a popup saying it's under progress. Everything doesn't have to be perfect, and on the front page you can explain that the page is under construction and also have an update, like:
17/4: Page "mortal rankings" finished and opened
22/4: Page "Imbuement information" 50% done. ETA 5 days.
29/4: Page "Imbuement information" 90% done. ETA 2 days.
1/5: Page "Imbuement information" finished and opened. Started on page: "Herbs"
This, I believe, will make people satisfied even if lots are missing, as long as they see the page is being _recently_ worked on. And as a former coder, I always felt working on something that was up&running was always much more fun and rewarding than when it's closed.

No matter what, I'd like the immortal staff to steer things up and suggest which sites to vote on (preferably with some easy-to-use links) and if not ready, please say so and give us some ETA for when you can give us a go-ahead.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 03 May 2011 22:14

Zestana wrote:Regarding various promotion strategies, I wonder if it would be possible on character creation to add a "what brought you to genesis" part.

Then on the list would be things such as Mud ranking website, friend, and/or anything else that might be done in promoting the game, so that we could see what strategies are working best and which are not?
Thats sounds like a good idea!

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/