Promotion of Genesis

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Chanele
Champion

Re: Promotion of Genesis

Post by Chanele » 04 May 2011 10:08

Very good suggestions here!

Wizards:
Prioritize...
You are very fast moderating post, how about answering the most importent ones for game survival?

petros
Site Admin

Post by petros » 04 May 2011 15:04

There are certainly plans in progress for promotion, and the input in this thread and others are being considered and incorporated. You will hear something very shortly.

Hektor
Veteran

Post by Hektor » 05 May 2011 10:40

Zestana, your idea about tracking new users as part of their creation is an excellent idea. Your could even consider having users answer a certain period of time of how they enjoy the game, and what issues they as newbies have and then, after having reviewed the content give them a small quest reward or some such.

(The following is a jumble of thoughts - and really just a monologue of what you have heard me say before - so... ;) )

I agree we have to in certain degrees forget about catering to the old player by the devise that you cant please everybody, and it is the new fresh blood that will make the game flourish not the old bitter wine. However, lets not forget that ressourcewise studies and business experience tells us that costs on retaining customers vs gaining new ones are 30/70 and in some cases even more.

More to it, let us not forget that if there are no old happy addicts around to show people the ropes and the wonder of this magnificent game - it becomes pointless. The code, the guild, the specials, the themes, the quests, the battles .... that is all game content, but the players and their efforts and stories they are the game life. It is the life and the depth - immersion and roleplay opportunity - that remains Genesis' strong selling points.

We can make the game content interesting, reduce bugs, improve balance, add items,quests, killing grounds etc, but to think that we can outperform vast commercial games on game content alone is in my opinion a very poor strategic decision.

Genesis operates under extremely scarce ressources. Hereby I mean decreasing code power (irl, fading of interest, radical changes etc) base and unstable playerbase. Therefore I believe we need to focus on what sets Genesis truly apart - the "immersion, the life experience and the community. Yes all this needs good game content, agreed, but it should be the depth of the game that we present as the selling point more than "me keel wight, me get xp" vs a point-click-kill explosion of colors and sound, which in most cases win out.

So let us get all those new players yes and lets make sure the old players are here and alive to welcome them by fostering community sense, cooptation and building a culture of unity and positivity rather than constant bicker, snide remarks and putting others down. If you cannot do this for altruistic reasons or this goes against your persona - take the egoistical approach - there wont be anyone left to bully if you bar ALL the new youngsters from the playground ;)

But also lets make sure the game can handle the newbies:

*accesability - webpage with info and webclient (both can still be "drafts" no need for perfection before launching a campaign)
*making the tutorial and general newbie content able to handle vast influx of players (imagine 10 people in the tutorial now?)

I think Genesis stands a really good chance of making it and getting new batches of players but we have to try make sure that both content and player mentality is ready to handle this new game. Are we ?
Lawful evil - conform or die.

Sharn
Expert

Post by Sharn » 05 May 2011 11:06

hektor wrote: *making the tutorial and general newbie content able to handle vast influx of players (imagine 10 people in the tutorial now?)
Yes I have been thinking about that myself.
  • Tutorial in its current state is designed for 1 player only in my opininion.
    You have to grind quite a bit there to be able to defeat the boss. With two players inside the tutorial equals hours of waiting for respawn of monsters to grind.
  • The same about the newbie dungeon, sadly. If another player is doing the quests you have to wait for the quest items to respawn.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 05 May 2011 17:53

http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/simpl ... ud=Genesis

This site too has outdated info... how can we get these two sites updated?
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Strider
Adept

Post by Strider » 05 May 2011 18:51

Genesis doesn't seem to even have a listing here:
http://mudstats.com/MainPage.aspx?Search=genesis
The preceding collection of words was presented by Strider's Player.
Any meaning you ascribe to them is most likely due to lucky happenstance or your misinterpretation.

If you'd prefer Strider's opinion, you'll probably have to ask for it in game.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 05 May 2011 20:27

Thanks for the posts, everyone ...

Believe me, you aren't being ignored or taken for granted. Rather, there is a ton of stuff going on, and I am doing my best to keep on top of it all. I have been working on a comprehensive update for the community (common board post) that should take place in the next day or so. It will address much of what has been said here, fill you in on many of the doings that have not been announced that have taken place behind the scenes, and give everyone a chance to participate.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 05 May 2011 22:36

Please check the Common Board. The posts are live.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/