Promotion of Genesis

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Zestana
Expert

Promotion of Genesis

Post by Zestana » 01 May 2011 23:29

As I've been playing and discovering new things in this world, I'm starting to wonder why the number of players is so low. I've played a variety of muds over the last 15 years, and Genesis has some very interesting alternatives to a lot of systems that gives it what I would consider an edge to other Muds. Due to this I'm wondering if anyone is actively promoting for the game at the moment. So some of the things I've thought about that could perhaps be improved in this category.

The website while informative, in my opinion, lacks a lot visually. It looks like a website I would have seen in the early 2000's and appears to be outdated a bit (though the rankings and boards on there are a very nice touch.) The pictures section though........

I found a few groups on the facebook, and see on the forum that one can like various posts on here. But reading through some of the posts people had made, it seems like there are a lot of retired characters on there. Perhaps someone could write an invitation letter to play for a day and send it out. You never know it might bring some of them back.

I've noticed at the bottom of the genesis webpage there are links to go to vote for Genesis on some of the mud rankings. Well I checked topmuds and Genesis is not even on the top 100 there. People looking for new games visit those sites. I knew many people in Aardwolf because it was ranked so high on the top mud listings. If Genesis is to draw some people in I think a voting campaign would also work well.

These are just a few simple things to do that could draw a few people in I think. You can always invite people to play as well. I've already convinced one of my coworkers to try genesis after this month's subscription to WoW is up. There has to be people you know that want to play. Coming into the game the tutorial was extremely helpful (Kudos to whoever worked on that,) the quest hints in the tower gave one a relative place to start there in Sparkle. The newbie dungeon was fantastic for killing things at a small level. A challenge, but quite manageable and fun and its where I found my first imbued item! In general it was a good first impression made, and I think that its very easy to get a larger population. Genesis is one of the most expansive muds I've ever played, but has a low number of players, where some other muds were relatively small with 60-70 people online at a time. So let's find a way to get more people!

Kitriana
Champion

Re: Promotion of Genesis

Post by Kitriana » 02 May 2011 00:34

Actually went to go vote today... and realized all of the connecting info never got updated. How does one fix that?
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 02 May 2011 05:51

Zestana wrote:As I've been playing and discovering new things in this world, I'm starting to wonder why the number of players is so low. I've played a variety of muds over the last 15 years, and Genesis has some very interesting alternatives to a lot of systems that gives it what I would consider an edge to other Muds. Due to this I'm wondering if anyone is actively promoting for the game at the moment. So some of the things I've thought about that could perhaps be improved in this category.

The website while informative, in my opinion, lacks a lot visually. It looks like a website I would have seen in the early 2000's and appears to be outdated a bit (though the rankings and boards on there are a very nice touch.) The pictures section though........

I found a few groups on the facebook, and see on the forum that one can like various posts on here. But reading through some of the posts people had made, it seems like there are a lot of retired characters on there. Perhaps someone could write an invitation letter to play for a day and send it out. You never know it might bring some of them back.

I've noticed at the bottom of the genesis webpage there are links to go to vote for Genesis on some of the mud rankings. Well I checked topmuds and Genesis is not even on the top 100 there. People looking for new games visit those sites. I knew many people in Aardwolf because it was ranked so high on the top mud listings. If Genesis is to draw some people in I think a voting campaign would also work well.

These are just a few simple things to do that could draw a few people in I think. You can always invite people to play as well. I've already convinced one of my coworkers to try genesis after this month's subscription to WoW is up. There has to be people you know that want to play. Coming into the game the tutorial was extremely helpful (Kudos to whoever worked on that,) the quest hints in the tower gave one a relative place to start there in Sparkle. The newbie dungeon was fantastic for killing things at a small level. A challenge, but quite manageable and fun and its where I found my first imbued item! In general it was a good first impression made, and I think that its very easy to get a larger population. Genesis is one of the most expansive muds I've ever played, but has a low number of players, where some other muds were relatively small with 60-70 people online at a time. So let's find a way to get more people!
The first post in this thread has lots of idea's that would work great, TopMud Site has a forums that is used by nearly all MUD players and one of the first to pop up if you search for MUD games I believe. Get a wizard on there to explain the mechanics of the game and actively post and follow some of the steps listed and we could easily have a nice population.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 02 May 2011 10:56

Zestana: We have been waiting for the "big promotional campaign" for years now. Our wizards keep saying we need to fix a number of things first, and then we will promote. There seems like there is always something new to fix though...

The newbie dungeon was one of those things that needed to be fixed, and its great news that you enjoyed it! The tutorial as well, even though that is not as new. I think, and hope, the webpage will be that final thing to be fixed before that campaign. I certainly hope so.

The web page looks like it is from the early 2000s because it is...:) A new one has been underway for atleast 5 years or more. It is always "soon" done.

Anyway I think the game is good enough as it is to attract and keep players. If it worked for you, why not for others!

However there seem to be some general feeling that "everything is broken", but I dont think it is at all. Its just old grumpy players who like complaining. What we need is new blood who wants to explore our pretty fantastic world.

I think you could be a great asset Zestana, you seem like a fairly experienced player but new to this world, so you could tell us what worked for you, what got you hooked etc. I am sure it could be helpful in "selling" this game. Because even if we old players maybe disagree alot on the forum I think we all agree that a bunch of new players would do wonders for the game.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 02 May 2011 11:00

For promoting.. I dont think that is the wizard responsibility at all..
They dont play the game.. WE do.

Me im always trying to get old farts that used to play back into the game.
And im also trying to recruit new players amongst my friends.

It is however not very easy to get people to play an ancient game like this.. Especially when they have the option of playing MMOs
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 02 May 2011 11:43

Creating a game that players want to play, and to attract players sounds like it should be the main goal for all wizards?

Players just play... if they like the game they automatically invite friends. But I think wizards can do alot to help that as well.

How abotu the "invite a friend get a reward" system that almost all online games have? We could too. But such a thing would need to come from wizards.

So is a web client. And a webpage... and tons of things. I truly think a serious promotional campaign needs to be led by wizards.

But mortals could definitely help alot too.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 02 May 2011 13:01

While it would be nice if such a thing could actually work..
I think it would be abused.
People could make a second and say "Oh thats my friend Bob.. He is new to the game"
And then you get a reward.. If the game was account based.. I would agree with you Cherek.. But it isnt.. so i dont :)
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 02 May 2011 13:22

amberlee wrote:For promoting.. I dont think that is the wizard responsibility at all..
They dont play the game.. WE do.

Me im always trying to get old farts that used to play back into the game.
And im also trying to recruit new players amongst my friends.

It is however not very easy to get people to play an ancient game like this.. Especially when they have the option of playing MMOs
And if we don't play the game they have no one to code for. Goes a bit of both ways, not to mention when reading posts on places like top mud most people are more inclined to b apart of something that shows they have active wizards instead of a dead mud trying to be brought back by the die hard players. Gotta remember there are several muds with a 100+ playerbase still around.

Amberlee
Myth

Post by Amberlee » 02 May 2011 13:35

Of cource.. If we didnt play they wouldnt have anyone to code for.
Doesnt change the fact that we the players know the game better then the wizards do.
That is why i mean that WE should have much of the responsibility with promoting the game we play..

Calador
Wizard

Post by Calador » 02 May 2011 13:41

amberlee wrote:Of cource.. If we didnt play they wouldnt have anyone to code for.
Doesnt change the fact that we the players know the game better then the wizards do.
That is why i mean that WE should have much of the responsibility with promoting the game we play..
You would be surprised at how much the wizards know :)
I agree that it should be the players that take the responsibility though. Promotions from
the ones that develop a game is not as appealing as hearing it from the ones that actually
play, and enjoy, it.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/