Those New to Genesis

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

If you are new to Genesis as of January 2010, How did you come to Genesis?

Through a Friend
11%
Genesis Forum
1%
Another Forum - Please tell us which one.
2%
Facebook
3%
Google Search on Muds
10%
Genesis Poster
No votes
Banner Ad - Where?
No votes
Article about Muds or Genesis- Where?
2%
Other - Please let us know
18%
I've been around in Genesis for longer than that!!!
55%

Total votes: 113

Davvol
Veteran

Re: Those New to Genesis

Post by Davvol » 13 Feb 2015 23:45

Drip wrote:My character's brute is off the chart after someone took me hunting in Gont.... and I can't kill the orc priest by myself so no quest EXP.
Other than that, the plural commands are confusing, so I can cut ear from corpse but can't cut ears from corpse.
But then, I have no clue as to how MUD works.
Compared to other games, there's always the old players who can do everything.
I'm an apprentice and got kicked from academy (long story) so how long do I have to wait to rejoin?
1. Do other quests. Travel to Solace, Pelargir or Cadu.
2. I'm not sure it's possible to rejoin. Go other guild, there are plenty. Also, on apprentice level you don't need any guild. All you need - do quests. Quests without fighting required.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 13 Feb 2015 23:46

Davvol wrote:
Drip wrote:My character's brute is off the chart after someone took me hunting in Gont.... and I can't kill the orc priest by myself so no quest EXP.
Other than that, the plural commands are confusing, so I can cut ear from corpse but can't cut ears from corpse.
But then, I have no clue as to how MUD works.
Compared to other games, there's always the old players who can do everything.
I'm an apprentice and got kicked from academy (long story) so how long do I have to wait to rejoin?
1. Do other quests. Travel to Solace, Pelargir or Cadu.
2. I'm not sure it's possible to rejoin. Go other guild, there are plenty. Also, on apprentice level you don't need any guild. All you need - do quests. Quests without fighting required.

I heard theres a dwarf in SYbarus that wants a glass of water aswell for a quick quest with nice xp

Davvol
Veteran

Post by Davvol » 13 Feb 2015 23:48

I'm not 100% sure, but I've been told it's possible to grow to Veteran level by doing quests without fighting. All you need - some money to train general skills.
I think there is little confusion after Tutorial. AFAIK all quest in tutori island are linear - so need to be completed one after one. We have such "quests lines" in some areas and with some quest masters (enchanter in Sparkle is an example), but there are also "stand alone" quest and many separate "quest lines". So, you don't need to finish one "line" in once, you can do other quests if you can't complete specific set of quests, and then get back to it when you grow up.

Draugor
Myth

Post by Draugor » 14 Feb 2015 07:57

Davvol wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but I've been told it's possible to grow to Veteran level by doing quests without fighting. All you need - some money to train general skills.
I think there is little confusion after Tutorial. AFAIK all quest in tutori island are linear - so need to be completed one after one. We have such "quests lines" in some areas and with some quest masters (enchanter in Sparkle is an example), but there are also "stand alone" quest and many separate "quest lines". So, you don't need to finish one "line" in once, you can do other quests if you can't complete specific set of quests, and then get back to it when you grow up.

Well some of the quests you need to do requires you to kill. Without grinding however, its very possible to hit veteran, think you need to grow alittle to do the quests that would be left after veteran, or enlist someone for aid :o

Chanele
Champion

Post by Chanele » 14 Feb 2015 09:40

Most, If not every player has used quest solutions/walk throughs and I can see no real harm in that. Quest solutions can be a great ice breaker when it comes to exploring a new domain, something that most likely is overwhelming for newbies.

I think our game will flourish and a bigger portion of the new players will stick around once we decide to make solutions optional and available on our site. Who besides wizards are against this? And why?

Drip
Wanderer

Post by Drip » 14 Feb 2015 19:55

I rejoined academy :) think it was about 4 days....
But it took me five minutes to quit Cadets because I couldn't figure out the command.
-Needs foolproof hints for commands and syntax
(if you don't understand what I've written, assume I have bad wording)

Stomax
Novice

Post by Stomax » 02 Mar 2015 01:38

I too found out through the app store. I was sad to find out that Genesis has been around for so long and that I was just finding it now. I started playing games like this and reading books that were of a series called Choose Your Own Adventure where you had choices in the actual book and would skip ahead to the proper page. Games like Genesis are just as important today. There are still hundreds of millions of book sold each year, so reading and painting your own picture of the story world remain valid.

The real challenge is getting it in front of people and getting them to try it. I have been very deep in the internet and never stumbled upon it. Even today it is hard to find just on Google when Genesis competes with The Bible, the band and the car....

Stomax

Rosenfel
Novice

Post by Rosenfel » 27 Oct 2015 04:23

I found it on the Google Chrome Web Store in a Featured category called "Heroic RPGs." I decided to give it a try because I had played one or two text based games before. Also the castle looks pretty.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 27 Oct 2015 05:03

Rosenfel wrote:Also the castle looks pretty.
Finally that new banner competition a decade ago pays off!:)

And welcome by the way!

Azuri
Beginner

Post by Azuri » 18 Dec 2015 05:02

I'm new and found this mud via the windows app store on my tablet. I'm enjoying the game so far. I always enjoyed MUD due to the emphasis on roleplay, and enjoy this word so far.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/