Help Files

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Fourtcoer
Wanderer

Help Files

Post by Fourtcoer » 30 Jun 2011 14:55

I've mentioned this to Gorboth privately, but I really think Genesis would be more newbie friendly if we had more documentation in the game in the way of help files.

Helpfiles I'd like to see:

A helpfile for every stat: strength, dexterity, constitution, discipline, wisdom, intelligence
A helpfile for every skill: sword, polearm, find and remove traps, sneak, trading, herbalism, etc

While some of these may seem self-evident, there are a TON of games out there now, MUDs as well as other types of games, and what these skills and stats mean in various games can vary dramatically. People will be coming into the game with preconceptions. They are also now accustomed to having documentation.

Not to mention, helpfiles level the playing fields. Most of Genesis' current players take certain part of the game as common knowledge. Let's truly make this information available as common knowledge by documenting it. Those of us who have been playing Genesis for 10 years may take it for granted that it's not worth it to put a bunch of money into life spells, but a newbie may think "Oh, life spells! I want to learn how to cast a healing spell!" and pump all their bunny money into a skill that does nothing for them. That's a good way to get someone to say "This is stupid" and stop playing before they are even out of the starting gate.

Other helpfiles I'd like to see: bank, quests, boats, alignment, roleplaying, etc.

I do think part of the fun of Genesis is the mystery, so I don't think helpfiles need to spoon-feed everything, but at least give the basics in terms of fundamental mechanics, like knowing that 'search here for herbs' is the way to use the herbalism skill.

If a wizard is willing to add helpfiles, maybe we could help out in a thread like this one coming up with the body text

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Re: Help Files

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 30 Jun 2011 16:22

This is a nice idea.

A lot of useful stuff already exists it is about pulling it all together.
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Booger
Veteran

Re: Help Files

Post by Booger » 01 Jul 2011 03:31

For stats, it's been discussed and help text suggested, but then died out.
http://www.genesismud.org/forums/viewto ... iles#p7806
If some immortal starts showing an interest in it, I'm sure there are lots of people willing to suggest the help texts.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/