On Promotion- Perhaps Quite Important

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Gub
Adventurer

Re: On Promotion- Perhaps Quite Important

Post by Gub » 28 Sep 2011 18:17

Greneth wrote:Speaking of where to post, simply typing in dragonlance, tolkien forums should give you a great place to start. From there you could simply make a post in the misc section or contact the admin and see about placing a sticky note for a fee.

Also contacting the main websites of all domains that are not original and seeing about placing an ad or even something in the update notes about us is another.

Last but not least is focusing on the themes we have and visiting the roleplaying forums and inform them that they can do the same thing in game form with us.
I did attempt to do something similar to this years ago. I posted a few notes on RPG/fantasy based forums detailing what Genesis was all about. Most forums deleted my posts right away, but there was one or two that allowed me to keep my posts since I would return and talk to the users who made reply-posts. I think even Gorboth joined in on the discussions. From what I know, I don't think it actually succeeded in recruiting long-term members.

My forum sample size was small, and overall strategy was a bit lacking. I did not talk with administrators before posting, and I didn't concentrate on any niche forum types.

I don't think your idea is a bad one, I just wanted to share my experience. I think if a group of 3-4 attacked a larger number of forums, and contacted administrators ahead of time, it could be successful.

Doing some market research may not be a bad idea though. Trying to narrow down our target audience and really attack those users could prove rewarding in multiple ways.

Just gaining demographic information from Genesis members who have been playing in-between 1 and 2 years could offer a lot of insight.

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 28 Sep 2011 18:42

Greneth wrote: Speaking of where to post, simply typing in dragonlance, tolkien forums should give you a great place to start. From there you could simply make a post in the misc section or contact the admin and see about placing a sticky note for a fee.

Also contacting the main websites of all domains that are not original and seeing about placing an ad or even something in the update notes about us is another.

Last but not least is focusing on the themes we have and visiting the roleplaying forums and inform them that they can do the same thing in game form with us.
All very good ideas there.

Gub wrote: I did attempt to do something similar to this years ago. I posted a few notes on RPG/fantasy based forums detailing what Genesis was all about. Most forums deleted my posts right away, but there was one or two that allowed me to keep my posts since I would return and talk to the users who made reply-posts. I think even Gorboth joined in on the discussions. From what I know, I don't think it actually succeeded in recruiting long-term members.

My forum sample size was small, and overall strategy was a bit lacking. I did not talk with administrators before posting, and I didn't concentrate on any niche forum types.
To avoid deletion I think it'd be a good idea to make it very obvious in any posts that Genesis is a non-profit, member-driven RPG community and not a commercial game. Most admins will be very quick to delete anything that looks like advertising, but if the club/community and non-commercial character of Genesis is emphasized it might be treated differently.

Gub
Adventurer

Post by Gub » 28 Sep 2011 18:48

That's a very good point Recoba. I don't remember what I had written, so I may not have covered those points in detail.

I will say that a lot of forums simply had a strict "No advertisement" policy. But, had I covered those points and talked to the administrators before hand, I may have had much better success.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 28 Sep 2011 19:24

For the record, I am all in favor of our community members organizing their own grass-roots efforts and going full tilt. You have my permission to use any of the artwork from the webpage, the posters, the client backdrop, anything you like that has been uniquely generated for Genesis by Denis Loubet. We paid for that art, and we own it. It can be used by *YOU* to promote the game. If you want to custom-shop your own little add banners based on this artwork and throw them up anywhere you can on various blogs, forums, reddit pages, whatnot, do do do do do it!

I put in a lot of time to get the materials in place, the website ready, the game ready, etc. But I am just one man, and I do not have the wherewithal to make everything happen "officially" as a Genesis Admin. I very quickly run out of available time and knowledge. This effort needs to be by Genesis Gamers for Future Genesis Gamers.

Our whole community acting in chorus right now on this is just great. Gub, do whatever you can! :-)

G.

p.s. Check out the new resources that have been added to the website promo page - bookmarks and business cards! (thanks to Iliana)
http://www.genesismud.org/pages/promotion1
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 29 Sep 2011 11:29

Iliana kicks ass!!
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 29 Sep 2011 16:43

Uther wrote:Iliana kicks ass!!
Agreed. She is the ass-kickinest! What an inspiring example of someone who cares about the game enough to make a huge difference.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Tarax the Terrible
Myth

Post by Tarax the Terrible » 11 Oct 2011 18:43

gorboth wrote: p.s. Check out the new resources that have been added to the website promo page - bookmarks and business cards! (thanks to Iliana)
http://www.genesismud.org/pages/promotion1
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) Server at www.genesismud.org Port 80
Can someone else check if these links are working or if it is just me...?
http://www.genesismud.org/downloads/Promo-Poster.JPG
http://www.genesismud.org/downloads/Tear-off-Poster.JPG
http://www.genesismud.org/downloads/bookmarks.jpg
http://www.genesismud.org/downloads/businesscard.jpg

Dunno if this is something to do with changing servers?
http://genesisquests.pbworks.com/
Join up and help each other with Quests :)

Alorrana
Myth

Post by Alorrana » 11 Oct 2011 18:52

none of the 4 links work for me.
I’m not a complete idiot. Some pieces are missing.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 11 Oct 2011 19:52

I suspect this is because the website is no longer on the host machine for the game. Once we have everything moved over, that should all work again. Just a few more days of oddness.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 12 Oct 2011 13:24

Configuration issue on new gizmo, fixed now.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/