Roleplay, ftw!

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Gadez
Beginner

Roleplay, ftw!

Post by Gadez » 04 Sep 2011 01:39

I realize how this might come off… but as a reasonably old habitué, in terms of both player and char age, I have to disagree.

I’ve recently returned, only to find that people are still far too stuck on the fanta pipe, and that socializing comes third – at best – in the general game play priority. Xp and eq still rule supreme, and as long as they do the game will never truly… sparkle (no pun intended, at first at least).

If you look to events to save the game from your own monotonous harvesting of stat points and imbuements (or whatever you might call them), you'll never get there. If you keep chasing away the creative/destructive forces from the community, you'll fail too - at least if sparkling nerve really is what you're all about.

With a promo campaign on the way ... I think we, as role players, need to step up and act up. That was always our edge. And when we truly do, when we allow that nerve and borderline passion into the game, there is very little in terms of fiction or drama that comes close to the experiences which the donut has to offer.

Amberlee
Myth

Re: Tutorial-Runner Event Results ...

Post by Amberlee » 04 Sep 2011 02:15

I truly have to agree with Gadez here.
Roleplaying has always been Genesis' strong point.
And yes we need to step up and act up, and come the promo campain we need to show our stuff.
The views posted by me on this forum is not the views of the character Amberlee in-game.
If you ask for my opinion here, you will get MY opinion, not that of my character.

Kitriana
Champion

Post by Kitriana » 04 Sep 2011 03:22

Not to just jump on the bandwagon -- but I have to agree with Gadez as well.
We as players need to internally attempt to RP more.. look for those opportunities...
and if there is some game mechanic or event that can spur that further - Great!

Kit's player
If something I wrote sounds confusing ... assume you misunderstood it.

Greneth

Post by Greneth » 04 Sep 2011 05:20

Meh same convos and no initiative well bar Amberlee.

Anyways sounds like a fun event be nice to read about more of them in the future.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 04 Sep 2011 08:50

Gadez wrote:I realize how this might come off… but as a reasonably old habitué, in terms of both player and char age, I have to disagree.

I’ve recently returned, only to find that people are still far too stuck on the fanta pipe, and that socializing comes third – at best – in the general game play priority. Xp and eq still rule supreme, and as long as they do the game will never truly… sparkle (no pun intended, at first at least).

If you look to events to save the game from your own monotonous harvesting of stat points and imbuements (or whatever you might call them), you'll never get there. If you keep chasing away the creative/destructive forces from the community, you'll fail too - at least if sparkling nerve really is what you're all about.

With a promo campaign on the way ... I think we, as role players, need to step up and act up. That was always our edge. And when we truly do, when we allow that nerve and borderline passion into the game, there is very little in terms of fiction or drama that comes close to the experiences which the donut has to offer.
I think this conversations should have it's own thread in another section of the forum.

But I tend to agree with you and the posters above...Still the game rewards grinding. Both in stats and in guild titles/power/stat.
Not even in the guilds most devoted to roleplaying are there any difference in your above rating, that sets roleplaying 3rd.
So if all through-out the game you are rewarded in many ways by grinding mobs, I find it hard to simply blame the players for adapting to that.

When was the last time you saw someone actually being rewarded in game purely based on roleplaying?
I'm actually struggling to come up with an example, even from all the so-called "elite" guilds I've been a member of during my time in Genesis. It's always been something else instead of or combined with roleplaying.
Roleplaying/player interaction in itself is only rewarding on it's own, as the game doesn't reward you for it.

I presume that may be why some people justify imbalances between guilds by point to all that "work" they had to do to join X guild. :)

Anyways, I agree that people can play the game the way they want to, and a change towards more social interaction/roleplaying would be prefered, I do not think that the blame for the current situation can be placed solely at the feet of the players.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

gorboth
Site Admin

Re: Roleplay, ftw!

Post by gorboth » 04 Sep 2011 13:52

Topic split and moved from the Common Board, as suggested.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Gadez
Beginner

Post by Gadez » 04 Sep 2011 14:31

Dont’ get me wrong, Mortimor – I’m all for blaming the wizards on this point (too). You do raise a critical issue: role playing simply needs to be rewarded by various mechanisms, and the rewards should include but not be solely confined to quest xp.

In fact, I would love for the wizard community to appoint an AoR team, to make the necessarily subjective calls on which individuals or which guilds stand out (in various ways) in terms of role playing, and then to reward them – just as you suggest. I think the controversy likely to arise from the decisions of such a unit would guarantee an on-going, and hopefully healthy awareness and debate on what role playing could/should be.

As an aside note: I’d love for the actors club (from which I gladly booted almost all members) to find a new role in the Realms (suggestions very much welcome), perhaps even to organize acting events of various sorts (suggestions again very much welcome).

G.

Gadez
Beginner

Post by Gadez » 04 Sep 2011 14:46

I mean, wouldn't it be fun if someone from the newly installed AoR team would have as her or his main task randomly to possess NPCs, so as to provide spontaneous in-theme interactions with players, new swan songs for those NPCs who just live to die and die and die again, etc. etc.

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 04 Sep 2011 15:44

Hard to debate against roleplaying in a mud where people see roleplay as one of their main traits and a strong feature of uniqueness, but I'll do what I can.

First of all: I am not against roleplaying. It's great to see how well some people act and especially the fear when meeting someone big, evil and condescending, trying to not say or do anything that could be seen as offensive (which would include being silent, ignoring the person). Or how some people, especially from opposing guilds, manage to be in the same room without doing something to start a fight but at the same time not backing down or showing fear.

But:
* Do events like the one we just had ruin gameplay? This was, of course, a bit special, intended to test something. But if there was some event every month with different goals (protect Sparkle from attack, collect as many different blue items as possible, split up in groups and fight each other, ... whatever), and we used our normal characters, wouldn't this be something that could actually promote roleplaying? Lots of people gathering at the same time, in the same general area - would mean a lot more possibility to meet people and do some actual roleplaying, than an average day where you rarely meet other people. I really can't see how this would be bad for roleplaying.

* What's rewarded now is gringing and quest solving, which doesn't promote roleplaying. True. But to solve this by, as I understand it, having immortals watch us and reward us depending on how well we roleplay... I'd say definitely NO!!!
It would take up tons of resources that we don't have. And would be very unfair, since wizards will be biased and subjective, have different ideas on what's good roleplay and what's a reasonable reward, and naturally most of the roleplay would go unnoticed by them anyway (can't be online 24/7, snooping all online players). So it would make a very unfair system to begin with. Even if the immortals were having godlike powers to distribute xp perfectly fair, people would feel cheated, feeling that others got more than they deseved and that they got too little or were skipped. Since this system won't be perfect, not even close, it'll definitely stir up bad blood and envy everywhere.

* I don't mind if people get some reward now and then for roleplaying, but if I roleplay, I want to do it for the fun of it, not as a duty in order to get xp. Feeling forced to do it whenever an immortal shows up, and feeling like a fake because I do it in the hopes they will award me some xp? Not my kind of fun. Roleplaying is a reward in itself, by having fun doing it. And it can give you respect of others if you do it well. I really don't want to degrade roleplaying into something you do to get xp (I've played a lot of non-computer rpg:s too, and always felt the ones that work best were those where all got the same "xp", so the roleplay came from the heart and not from some xp-craving).

* If a guild want to promote roleplay, eg by only advancing members who have shown in different ways that they follow the guild's ideals, so be it. Good luck. It's up to you to make it work, then, and if you manage, great! Just make sure to keep up the work, because there'll be problems if you start slacking.

I would definitely be happy to see some immortals possess various npc:s from time to time, to cause some reactions and make things a bit varied and unexpected. And especially for small quests where roleplay can definitely be part of the fun (depending on your affiliations you might eg want to either help out or to work against the quest).
But I'm all against making roleplay into some kind of new xp-grind-trap.
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 04 Sep 2011 16:19

*logs off from the hardcore RP Gen-server*
*logs in to a RP, limited PVP Gen-server*

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/