Website

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.
Makfly
Champion

Re: Website

Post by Makfly » 09 Sep 2011 16:57

While we're at messing about with the Ranking, is there any use at all for the Elder and the Habitude* catagory?
I mean in these idle-friendly times, those two seem pretty obsolete.

*or whatever it was called.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Recoba
Great Adventurer

Post by Recoba » 09 Sep 2011 17:43

Makfly wrote:While we're at messing about with the Ranking, is there any use at all for the Elder and the Habitude* catagory?
I mean in these idle-friendly times, those two seem pretty obsolete.

*or whatever it was called.

You could argue against any ranking with the same arguments (botting etc). No reason to take them out as I see it.

Laurel

Post by Laurel » 09 Sep 2011 17:55

Seren + Uther - hopeless cases :twisted: :roll: :lol:

cotillion
Site Admin

Post by cotillion » 09 Sep 2011 19:39

This weeks rankings are back in an ugly form.

http://www.genesismud.org/pages/rankings

Irk
Rising Hero

Post by Irk » 10 Sep 2011 03:23

and what will you say about such color and atlas view. In my opinion it looks better in sepia, but what more you can click on each area (in this case only on Khalakhor) and enlarge area (in this example it is only cut out from original, so size it is the same, but idea is to be enlarge). After enlarge you can click in specific place (port macdunn or baile) and see detail map with rooms (hope author of them wont be mad).

http://exonet.pl/work/genesis_maps/index.php

hope you will like it :) remember i did it fast, to show general idea for Atlas.

gorboth
Site Admin

Post by gorboth » 10 Sep 2011 07:52

Thanks Irk! We do plan to do this sort of thing. Maybe you can help! Contact me in-game or whatnot.

G.
Mmmmmm ... pie ...

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 10 Sep 2011 11:52

Laurel wrote:Seren + Uther - hopeless cases :twisted: :roll: :lol:
Are we? Or we are ? I don't know if we are, but we might be? But if we aren't then we can't be?

Hopeless that is.
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Targun
Adept

Post by Targun » 11 Sep 2011 10:49

For me, the website looks really nice. It has a large and cool looking 'PLAY NOW' button, visible from the start. It's not overcrowded with graphic, therefore players expectations to the form of the game won't be misguided. I find it's style very appealing and think that in general the page looks cool!

Some minor glitches:
*The 'middle section' is definetely not wide enough. There's a lot of text dixplayed in it and being narrow as it is, makes it rather difficult to decipher. With a lot of scrolling and only very small section of the text shown at the same time it might be slightly discouraging. I am running a bit nontstandard 20'', but the middle section is slightly below the 1/3 of the screen width. Some space could be saved if the 'fading' sections on each side were cut by half. Same with the bottom one- it's very wide and with a wide banner, browser toolbars etc there is quite little for the content itself left.
*Font- any chance to make it a little bit larger? The letters are really, really small and it's a bit of strain to your sight. I'm not sure about the specified font, but it's the matter of personal prefferencies. Still, please make the text larger.
*Links- some of them are in capital letters, some only begin with a capital letter. Except for those that are utmostly important, I think those with the first capital letter only, look much better. Also their colour could be tempered a tiny bit. Sepia might fit.
*Map- someone suggested it- scroll bars are slightly inconvienient. Click and drag would be probably preferable option. And what I mentioned earlier- the middle section with content bein so small, involves a lot of scrolling again when browsing the map, which would probably be another reason to widen it.

Overally, lots and lots of good work. Congratulations.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 11 Sep 2011 13:03

As many others have said, I also think the font is a bit too small. On my 24" widescreen I find myself leaning towards the screen to read, and on my laptop its also too small.

And the map-page really does not fit inside the small window. The easiest solution I think would be to just have that "view a map of the world" link open the map-image in a new tab / window. Or if you want to make it a little bit more fancy, let it open in some type of overlay window, like many image galleries on the web do. But just a link to a new window would solve the issue for now I think and take seconds to change. That way it could be in a bit higher resolution too so that text on the map is more readable.

Besides from that I think it does exactly what it should - it has a pretty unique design.

Many of you have commented that you want more colors, more "stunning" artwork and a more modern design. I get the feeling you were expecting something in the Blizzard style? Yes, thats a really beautiful style. But it is also the typical fantasy style on the web these days. This design makes us stand out a bit which I think is good thinking. And I think its looks pretty nice, yes both the design and layout is a bit more oldschool than modern style of webpages, but we ARE an oldschool game so I think it fits.

Booger
Veteran

Post by Booger » 11 Sep 2011 15:16

Targun wrote:The 'middle section' is definetely not wide enough.
Not sure how hard it is to do with this type of background, but perhaps it would be possible to have the width of the middle section floating? Current width still being the minimum witdh, but if you make the window wider, the middle section could follow and grow, making it possible, for us with big screens and high resolution, to have that middle part widened?
Booger/Cindy/Enigma

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/