What would it take?

Discuss ideas about promoting Genesis and inviting more players into the Genesis community
Forum rules
- Use common sense and be respectful towards each other at all times, even when disagreeing.
- Do not reveal sensitive game information. Guild secrets, player seconds are examples of things not allowed.

What would it take for you to do promotional work?

I dont need any rewards, I'll do it anyway.
30%
Quest XP would be nice.
19%
Other rewards for any of my characters. (please tell us what)
4%
Rewards wont help, I am not really interested, I just wish to play.
7%
There no use in promotion, the game is too flawed. (what needs to be fixed first?)
33%
Genesis is dead/sucks, who cares about promotion.
7%

Total votes: 27

Makfly
Champion

Re: What would it take?

Post by Makfly » 27 Feb 2012 08:50

@Azarias
From what you write, Aardwolf has a clear focus, that simply appeals more to the powerplayers/grinds, and perhaps Atonement is the same, but to roleplayers.
Maybe Genesis tried to be everything to everyone, but ended up being nothing - As in attempted to sit on two chairs at once and ended up on its ass on the floor instead.

The debate about what kind of game the Admin wanted Genesis to be, has been up before, but no clear vision was ever proclaimed, though. So I'm still in the dark about what sort of game, the Administration wants Genesis to be in the future.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Uther
Great Adventurer

Post by Uther » 27 Feb 2012 10:36

I just wonder...
What more does it take to appeal the roleplayers ? Do they have limitations as it is now?
What does it take to appeal the powerplayers?

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm

That is one of the best researches I have ever read about mudplayers.

We we wouldn't have this debate at all if there were enough players.
All comments are made by the player behind Uther, NOT THE CHARACTER UTHER!

Azarias
Beginner

Post by Azarias » 29 Feb 2012 09:03

Makfly wrote:@Azarias
From what you write, Aardwolf has a clear focus, that simply appeals more to the powerplayers/grinds, and perhaps Atonement is the same, but to roleplayers.
Maybe Genesis tried to be everything to everyone, but ended up being nothing - As in attempted to sit on two chairs at once and ended up on its ass on the floor instead.

The debate about what kind of game the Admin wanted Genesis to be, has been up before, but no clear vision was ever proclaimed, though. So I'm still in the dark about what sort of game, the Administration wants Genesis to be in the future.
Just because it focuses on those aspects does not make it a good game, I implore you to take a day and go visit those MUD's and you'll understand. Everything they offer Genesis offers and in some cases better. The only true problem with role playing on this game is the mixed genres of already known themes. However if you ignore that and view it as all areas are connected, unexplored much like Earth in the 1800's or 1700's then you have even more role playing possibilities.

I honestly believe the game play has very very little to due with the actual game population and more of people just not knowing who we are. We have an amazing core group of players that only add to the rich gameplay available and if more people then what we are bringing in are exposed to that I think you will see the player base skyrocket. Many of you have the experience of the ways of this game, how to roleplay and interaction between contradicting domains and that is one of the main keys with any mud.

Take for instance those of you who know about the Japanese hit Naruto. It is without a doubt the single most popular anime, manga and web game on the market right now. Billions of people know and love the series and flock to the web games just based on it's name, a few years back someone created a Naruto MUD. The game flopped, why? There are thousands of RP Forums that hold thousands of people who do nothing but create a character, level them up, obtain items and role play. So why did a game that holds such a popular theme and does all that plus more flop? Because it was not advertised at all, the game was too easy to reach the end tier levels and they were not able to form a core group of players to attract others.

If you cross out what Genesis does cover you'll see that of those three main key points we only lack advertisement.
Two!

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 29 Feb 2012 17:52

Azarias: I couldnt agree more. It's good to know I am not the only one who feels that way, maybe we can get something going.

Makfly
Champion

Post by Makfly » 01 Mar 2012 12:06

It sounds like both of you (Cherek & Azarias) have lots of optimism, so I honestly think that you two should take control of the remaining promotion funds and wake the promo-campaign from the dead.

We can all talk alot about the state of the game, our predictions on what's needed and what will happen if we do A, B or C, but what is really needed is actions.

I'll honestly admit that I am not enthusiastic enough about Genesis anymore, to want to devote hours to the promo-campaign, but it seems like you two are the best bet at the moment.

I hope you sieze the chance to prove yourself right and wake the game from the current half-life it's living.
It would be great to see the pessimists shamed by a surge in players.
Mortimor Makfly - Gnomish Xeno-Anthropologist

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 02 Mar 2012 01:05

Makfly: Its always easy to talk and come up with ideas and say what needs to be done etc. Harder to do actually DO something. I come up with tons of ideas but then.. well.. I got tons of RL ideas too that I want to work on, and then I need work to too put food on the table, do other stuff, sleep etc. etc. Most of us dont spend as much time on Genesis as we once did, and that counts for both players and wizards. I think the more people that could do little is better than hoping for a few to do alot.

I made the list and was hoping the community could add more ideas. To begin with. My first idea was to make an event of it, and reward players with in game stuff for promotional work. The voting clearly shows thats probably not much use since only 2 people besides me seem to be interested in that, which is also what Gorboth thought, I guess he was right. Uh, not that I doubted of course..:)

The best way now would probably be to gather those people who want to help out (there seem to be a few at least) and try to get started somehow. I think the first step would be to add more detail to my initial list of tasks.

As for using funds, only the admin can say if we have something left, and in that case how much.

I am gonna suggest a closed forum section for a promotional task force and invite those who voted "yes I wanna help out". I think that would be good, a place for those who wanna help out only, free of the usual negativity.:)

Gub
Adventurer

Post by Gub » 02 Mar 2012 01:49

the /r/mud community over at reddit does a "Lets MUD together!" event.

You can read about it here
http://www.reddit.com/r/MUD/comments/mx ... ddecember/

You could set up an event for redditors and make it something exciting for them, talk about how we've been open since 1989 (some MUDs brag about being open since 98) and we are the original LP. The event could include mortal and wizard support. I'm scratching the surface of what you could do, but I think it'd be good enough to bring in at least 10-20 newbies for a day.

Hell if nothing else you could do a write up and post it on there, there's a lot of advertising for MUDs and they seem to welcome it.

I am just throwing this out as an idea, coordinating events like this isn't my specialty. I think it has potential though.

Cherek
Site Admin

Post by Cherek » 02 Mar 2012 01:54

Thats a great idea Gub! I am adding it to my original list.

Gub
Adventurer

Post by Gub » 02 Mar 2012 07:06

Here's a forum dedicated to MUD advertisement, maybe you could coordinate a day across multiple sites.

http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/advertising-players/
http://www.mudconnect.com/discuss/discu ... promotions

EDIT: Adding more sites

Gub
Adventurer

Post by Gub » 02 Mar 2012 07:29

These are some sites that have done blogs on nostalgic games. You could make a letter and tell them were doing a "revitalization" of a classic game and give them the date, see if any do a piece on it.

http://www.gameinformer.com/blogs/membe ... games.aspx
http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2012/0 ... ant-to-me/

Just a list of game blog sites

http://www.giantbomb.com/

In the letter you may include that the wizard community all work non-profit and of course we've been playing since 89.

If people drop my links I'll make a master list and add them in.

http://tworzymyatmosfere.pl/przescieradla-jedwabne-z-gumka/